CRF - Chronic Renal Failure:links and experiences with

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes....Sadie's labs are within normal limits.

Now our task will be to keep them that way.

I think that the insult to her kidneys from the toxin in the recalled food was modified by early treatment.
I am really pleased.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our vet just made a quick call to tell me to tell me that all of Dexter's lab numbers have returned to normal.
The one value I was able to write down was his creat/2.1.

Tomorrow or Fri. I will go pick up a copy so I know the details.

Both should be re-tested in 6 months... pre/dentals.

Wheeeee.....
Sadie & Dexter's kidney values are all within normal range.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

Our vet just made a quick call to tell me to tell me that all of Dexter's lab numbers have returned to normal.

Wheeeee.....
That is incredibly good news. I am so happy for you, and them.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

That is incredibly good news. I am so happy for you, and them.
Thank you Pat...
Now my thoughts turn to your babies for their weekend labs.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

Wheeeee.....
WOOOHOOO!!!!

Happy dance, happy dance!!!

I'm so happy for you! You must be incredibly relieved! I will continue to keep Sadie and Dexter in my prayers.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by techiegirl

I haven't been around in almost a month and am so happy to hear that both Sadie and Dexter's #'s are within range now!
Thank you so much...

please come around more often.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bumping this up for new members

cac777

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello All.

My girl has been diagnosed with Kidney Disease. I wanted to post her numbers as I'm getting confused reading different sites and wanted opinions from those who have gone through this already.

Blood Work Numbers:
MCHC 35.9 Range 29.0-36.0%
BUN 82 Range 10-30 mg/dL
Creatinine 4.4 Range 0.8 - 1.8 mg/dL
Total Protein 6.9 Range 6.0 - 8.2 gm/dL
Albumin 3.5 Range 1.8 - 3.6 gm/dL
Calcium 10.5 Range 7.0-10.5 mg/dL
Phosphorus 8.1 Range 3.5-5.5 mg/dL
Sodium 159 Range 149-162 mEg/L
Postassium 5.2 Range 3.5 - 4.5 mEq/L
CPK 696 Range 50 - 480 U/L
T4 2.4 Range 1.2-5.2 ug/dL

Urine Work:
Urobilnogen normal
Glucose negative
Ketone negative
bilirubin negative
protein +/30
nitrite negative
leukocytes +++
blood +++/large
pH 6
USG 1.022
WBC 2-6/HPF
RBC packed
Casts 0
Crystals none
Bacteria none
Yeast 0

From what I've read - kitties with CRF usually have depleted potassium levels - but my girls are high.

The vet has recommended we feed her K/D food. So far - she's eating about 1/3 cup per day.

She is also on Baytril [antibiotic].

Any thoughts / insights you could provide would be great.

Thanks.

Cindy

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am still hurting from the loss of my CRF girl she put up a 4 yr fight ... but I will try to shed a little light

My girl has been diagnosed with Kidney Disease. I wanted to post her numbers as I'm getting confused reading different sites and wanted opinions from those who have gone through this already.

Blood Work Numbers:
BUN 82 Range 10-30 mg/dL this is one of two main CRF markers ... your babies is HIGH HIGH but with the creatine you have HOPE ....
Total Protein 6.9 Range 6.0 - 8.2 gm/dL
Albumin 3.5 Range 1.8 - 3.6 gm/dL
Calcium 10.5 Range 7.0-10.5 mg/dLWatch this closely as it can be an issue
Phosphorus 8.1 Range 3.5-5.5 mg/dLPlease ask about phos binders to help lower this
Sodium 159 Range 149-162 mEg/L
CPK 696 Range 50 - 480 U/L
T4 2.4 Range 1.2-5.2 ug/dL

Urine Work:
Urobilnogen normal
Glucose negative
Ketone negative
bilirubin negative
protein +/30
nitrite negative
leukocytes +++
blood +++/large
pH 6
USG 1.022
WBC 2-6/HPF
RBC packed
Casts 0
Crystals none
Bacteria none
Yeast 0

From what I've read - kitties with CRF usually have depleted potassium levels - but my girls are high.

The vet has recommended we feed her K/D food. So far - she's eating about 1/3 cup per day.

She is also on Baytril [antibiotic].

Thanks.

Cindy[/quote]

YOu should have hope but ask about a phos binder ... Is a 1/3 cup normal for her??? with her numbers I would STRONGLY urge wet food if at all possible

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cac777

Hello All.

Blood Work Numbers:
BUN 82 Range 10-30 mg/dL

Calcium 10.5 Range 7.0-10.5 mg/dL
Phosphorus 8.1 Range 3.5-5.5 mg/dL
USG 1.022

Thanks.

Cindy
CRF kitties do not always have low potassium, so be glad yours does not

The level of phosphorous is one you do want to address asap, it can be dealt with by using a phos binder - which can be added to their food. Here is an excellent section on this:http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#high_phosphorus

Depending on how much your kitty normally weighs, 1/3 cup of kd doesn't sound like very much, but then most of my cats are far more than the petite size

The calcium level is also high, but as you'll read here, you may see that level fall if you get the phosphorous levels down:http://www.felinecrf.org/diagnosis.htm#calcium and there is a large discussion here of possible causes.

The urine specific gravity is low, showing dilute urine, which is typically seen in kitties with reduced kidney function.

The other good thing about the site I've given links to are the success stories, showing in some cases kitties initially diagnosed with very high numbers, that are brought under control.

I wish you all the best with getting your gal feeling better. I have two with crf currently, and 1 with crf due to PKD. I lost one last year after his living with crf for almost 4 years...so, I know some of what you are dealing with, and some of what you may be feeling.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our geriatric guy, Oberon, has CRF and has lost 75% of kidney function. He also is on Tapazole (2.5 MG twice a day) for hyperthyroidism.

He is on canned Hill's k/d and Medi Cal Reduced Protein, with Epakitin added twice a day, and Medi Cal dry. He hated the Epakitin, and after two weeks boycotted any food with it, so our vet said to stop the Epakitin for five days, and very gradually reintroduce it.

I've added a little back in his diet the last three days, and now he has stopped eating his food completely, even without the Epakitin. He is obviously doing worse last night and today, and is throwing up foamy liquid. He'd just sit in front of his filled plates and look at me. So, I gave him a teaspoon of Lily & Sparkle's food (Nutrience) and he LOVED it. He ate another spoonful (with a little Epakitin in it) and went on the bed to snooze.

I know we need to keep phosporus intake low. I've tried to compare labels, but Nutrience doesn't list phosphorus.

Question 1: Is there a way to figure out phosphorus if it's not listed?

Question 2: Can I feed him the food he will eat if he takes Epakitin in it?

He has to keep eating, right? I tried to get his test results to post his levels but our vet's office is open Saturdays only for buying food and I have to wait until Monday. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Oberon says thanks!

The ones he's supposed to eat, but won't:

Medi Cal Reduced Protein

crude protein... min 6.5%
crude fat... min 5.5%
crude fiber... max 1.2%
moisture... max 77.0%
ash... max 2.2%
calcium... min 0.1%
phosphorus... min 0.04%
magnesium... max 0.2%
taurine... min 0.1%

Hill's Prescription Diet k/d

crude protein... min 8.0%
crude fat... min 10.0%
crude fiber... max 1.0%
moisture... max 78.0%
ash... max 1.3%
calcium... min 0.1%
phosphorus... min 0.1%
magnesium... max 0.02%
taurine... min 0.5%

The one(s) he will/likes eat:

Nutrience Holistic Duck & Rabbit
http://www.nutrience.com/english/cat/C-2150.html

crude protein... min 10.0%
crude fat... min 6.0%
crude fiber... max 1.5%
moisture... max 78.0%
ash... max 3.0%
magnesium... max 0.02%

Go! Natural
http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=130

crude protein... min 11.0%
crude fat... min 6.0%
crude fiber... max 1.0%
moisture... max 78.0%
ash... max 2.0%
magnesium... max 0.25%
taurine... min 0.5%

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, most important is that Oberon eat, let the phos binder handle if it's a bit high in phos.

I found a site that though it doesn't list the two foods you mentioned he would eat, does list the phos content for foods outside the US:
http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/nonusfd.html I thought this list might be useful.

The foamy white vomit goes along with nausea, did your vet prescribe an antacid? If not, you may want to ask for one...one that is given is pepcid (plain, not the complete, not the super strength)..one can also use slippery elm bark syrup or powder in a capsule for this. The felinecrf.org site discusses nausea/vomitting and antacids, and the slippery elm bark is under Holistic treatments.

Wishing your fellow all the best,

cac777

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All

I have learned that my little Zoey will eat the Chicken flavored wet k/d [especially if I mix some water with it].

I have 4 lbs of the dry stuff as well. Can I mix with low-sodium chicken broth to make my own wet stuff for her to eat since she won't touch the dry stuff anymore? If so - do you have any good ideas for proportions to use?

I would call and ask my vet - but since it is Sunday and tomorrow is the holiday - I won't be able to reach them until Tuesday and she has to eat between now and then.

Thanks.

Cindy

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cac777

All

I have learned that my little Zoey will eat the Chicken flavored wet k/d [especially if I mix some water with it].

I have 4 lbs of the dry stuff as well. Can I mix with low-sodium chicken broth to make my own wet stuff for her to eat since she won't touch the dry stuff anymore? If so - do you have any good ideas for proportions to use?

I would call and ask my vet - but since it is Sunday and tomorrow is the holiday - I won't be able to reach them until Tuesday and she has to eat between now and then.

Thanks.

Cindy
Cindy,

The only problem with commercial chicken broth, is some have onions as a seasoning, and if you see any mention of spice or flavorings, I'd wonder if that meant onion. I'd make your own - using fresh chicken, not chicken that say is a good brand but frozen with a per centage of a solution injected into it. Can be just a plain batch of fresh chicken wings, boil 'em up with nothing added until you get a nice broth, and use that.

cac777

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info on the chicken broth - I did see mention of onion concentrate in the ingrediant listing for the chicken broth.

I'll make up some broth tomorrow....and for now try to get her to eat the original flavor wet k/d [will add water to the stuff to make smoother].

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Mods
for making this a sticky. I really appreciate it!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Thank you Mods
for making this a sticky. I really appreciate it!

I am moving on the 1st of June but as soon as I am settled, I will be back to this important thread for support and to offer support.

Lots of calm, healing, healthy vibes to all CRF kitties and their loving guardians.