CRF cat, near the end...?

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

You should see if your vet will write a prescription for fluids and IV administration sets. I have my fluids and IV admin sets ordered through the hospital outpatient pharmacy. I think the last time I purchased them (a couple of months ago) the case of fluids was 12/$32, and 12 IV admin sets @ $2/set. If you go through the local hospital, you can bypass expensive shipping costs. Check around though, sometimes the larger national pharmacy chains (Walgreens, Rite Aid, even Costco) can order them for you without a shipping charge.
go to Thrivingpets.com THEY are on the CRF list and are the least expensive for CRF supplies. Also if you can get an RX for fluids see if you have a walmart or walgreens or riteaid or longs that will order them for you as long as you have an RX.

Dont forget to get 20 or 21 gauge TERUMO needles - they come in a box of 100.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ian from Thriving Pets is very helpful.
I get my stuff there.
I wish you could have more time with him.
My Stripe was 11 when I lost her to Crf after a good fight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jackbombay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For some time now we have been doing 100ml a day with 20 gauge terumo needles, he likes those far better than the 18 gauge needles we were using, and the fluids don't leak back out when I pull the needle out.

I have come to grips with the fact that the end is near, but my eyes are still leaking quite a bit about it all.

He loves to sit net to my wife in the morning, this is what I see most mornings. If you're sitting next to him and you don't acknowledge him he taps you on the shoulder with his paw and meows at you

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about Jack. I've been following your posts and wonderful pictures and it seems like you are a wonderful parent to Jack. I recently lost my beloved cat, Buster, in January to cancer so I understand what it feels like to know the end is near.

jackbombay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night was rough, Jack is hurting pretty bad.

I just got off the phone with the vet, she will be making a house call at 8:00 this evening.

I hope the clouds will part today so Jack can sleep on the windowsill with some sunshine, he is our passive solar cat after all, being all black... For anyone that does live in a warmer climate with some sun around today, feel free to take minute or two on a bench in the sun with your eyes closed for Jack's sake, and maybe eat a mouse or two

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry! Jack is one special fighter! Give him a hug from me!

jackbombay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All in all I have been to down about all this, yes, it truly sucks and hurts a lot, but damn, I wouldn't want people being all bummed when I go, and I know Jack doesn't either.

Amazingly enough Jack has been doing quite well today, went mousing for a while earlier today, been cuddling with his "sister" a bunch, and snoozed on my lap for a while a couple different times, and most importantly, no puking.

Him going out on a bit of a high note is the right thing to do here and he should be fine through the night, and we' both like for his last night with us to not be the shitty night that was last night.

I called the vet and she'll be by tomorrow morning instead of tonight and we're gonna party tonight, couple bottles of champagne, or sparkling wine from Italy to be exact, a bottle of huckleberry vodka and some fresh catnip for Mr. Maniac

The party has been off the hook, well, its been my wife and I and our housemate, but damn, its been rad, we've told countless Jack stories from years past, Dave told us a bunch of "wiskers" stories and we've been rocking out to the "dire straights" station on pandora (highly recommended) which is mostly classic rock, which I like, but the real advantage to classic rock is we all know all the words but the point is not to know all the words, its to change them the songs about Jack. Tom Petty; Runnin' down a dream, WRONG, Runnin' down a mouse !

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
what a tribute to a great kitty. That's the way to do it. I'll be thinking of you and Jack today.

jackbombay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jack slept well through the night, I'm glad we waited till this morning.

He left us at about 9:15, and unfortunately I had to take my wife to the airport at 10:00 and she is now out of town for a week, this really sucks.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am truly sorry about the loss of Jack. By the looks of the photos, he seemed to have lived a great and loving life with you and your wife.

jessiecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye so soon (it's always too soon). We should all be so lucky to live such a great life that he did. Hunting and playing in the great Idaho outdoors, then coming home to his loving family!! Really, what more is there?

jackbombay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jessiecat

We should all be so lucky to live such a great life that he did. Hunting and playing in the great Idaho outdoors, then coming home to his loving family!! Really, what more is there?
Yea, that is what I have to keep in mind.

Thanks for your kind words

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
for you, your wife and your housemate. I know you're really going to miss Jack. He had a great life with you and I'm sure he left many, many wonderful memories.

Rest in peace, Jack.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jackbombay

Jack slept well through the night, I'm glad we waited till this morning.

He left us at about 9:15, and unfortunately I had to take my wife to the airport at 10:00 and she is now out of town for a week, this really sucks.
I am so sorry! I was so hoping for a miracle.

The way my little girl looks today I am thinking it may not be long before she joins Jack!