Cremation

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would cremate, and if you can't bear the thought of looking at an urn, scatter them in some special place. I prefer burial, but in a place that will not be disturbed. I am extremely saddened by the new owners of our place digging up at least 6 of our buried strays that were in a little wooded area on our place to put in a garage. The only consolation I get is it was dirt that was for fill and in this way they will be reburied. I say a little prayer for them every night...... My beloved Chrissy, Burt, and Casper are all buried close together and the whole area was covered in cement. as an extension of a patio. I pray they can rest in peace. It's so hard to leave them when we move, but I will always carry their memories and love with me......

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scratch and Squee were cremated. I'm childfree and I see my cats as family and the closest things to kids I'll ever have/want, so I couldn't bear the thought of leaving them at the vet for them to be disposed. I was just as disturbed by the idea of burying them in the backyard because at some point in the future, they'd be left behind, so they were cremated. It was really a no-brainer for me as the other options were not pleasant in my mind.

Their ashes are now in matching photo frame urns. They were the first pets I lost as an adult and I had already made the decision to cremate before they actually passed. I'm happy with the choice I made.

It's funny, though - I've told my parents that if something happens to me and I die before them, I do not want to be cremated. I've (jokingly) threatened to come back and haunt them if they let me be cremated.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of the four cats I've lost, three were put to sleep and taken away by the vet to be cremated. I don't recall ever having the option of being given the ashes back.

Blade was the only one who passed at home during the day when we were at work. I took his poor body to the vet and again they took him away but no option to have the ashes back.

I'm glad that they weren't buried where I used to live, as my ex sold the house about 18 months after we split up.
I'm really surprised you weren't given options. You will probably have to go through this again sometime. When that happens, ask the vet about private cremation. That way the pet is cremated separately, and you get the ashes back.