Credit card offers and junk mail

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

I cut everything up right now. I don't have a paper shredder yet. We have had a problem with catching the neighbor lady going through our mail!
She dropped it and ran down her driveway when we pulled up but it makes me paranoid for sure. We also burn our trash anyways but I still try to be on the safer side!
You need to report that woman to the Postal Inspector - what she was doing is a FEDERAL OFFENSE.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any credit card offers, I take the part of the application off with the codes with my name & shred that part, in case someone decided to send it in. Everything else just goes in the recylcing. I don't worry so much about name & address, just credit card offers w/apps and stuff w/ account numbers.

cassie-ondra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is the world coming to? Why is it that we now have to worry about identity theft? And it's not an uncommon occurance either!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DRIVEN

Does anybody tear all of your ID information out of it and return their junk to them in the self address, stamped envelope? I heard it costs them money if you do it?
That's exactly what I do. I write a big "NO THANKS" across it and send it back to them.

And honestly, as long as the mail doesn't have any personal information outside my name and address, I just toss it into the recycle bin. If anyone sends it in and that company sends them a credit card with my name on it, I never signed for it, never authorized and, and if there is fraud, its the credit card company's problem, not mine.

Mail with actual account numbers gets burned in the fireplace.

Here's another idea for folks without shredders or fireplaces: Save all the documents that you would normally shred or burn and stick them in the middle of the dirty litter that you dump in your garbage can. Anyone that goes thru the trouble of shifting thru dirty cat litter deserves an account number now and again! LOL

bikeman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At least 5 minutes of my day is spent sorting the junk mail into the shred pile, the recycle pile and the toss in garbage pile. Always shred everything with personal info, even if it is junk.

Want a method to get much more of your common share of junk mail? Open up several accounts for internet domain names and hosting. You won't believe what they'll begin sending you. They sell your personal info to everybody. That's why domains and hosting is so cheap these days.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We burn the stuff with personal info on it. My CC got hacked last spring and out CC company replaced. But this Dec the company that I used to work for was hacked and data on 70000 current and past employees compromised. So I'm on a special credit bureau service for 90 days at a time (must renew this month)that has a warning on a CB!!
It will be interesting to see that now I have started my own business how much junk mail comes. When DH set up our LLC a couple of yrs ago for the farm we get lots of "stuff". Oh Goody!!