credit card fraud: can't belive it

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A couple months ago someone cloned my ATM card. Luckily they only made a couple purchases. When I filed the fraud report to my bank they said that would send the info to the department that handles the fraudulent claims and they will put the money back in my account as well as the $200.00 in fees that they appied to my account. Well about a month later I got a letter stating they won't refund my money unless I tell them who made the purchases. If I knew who did it I would be more than happy to tell them but I have no idea. Needless to say I no longer bank there.

I've also had someone get a hold of one of my credit cards and charge a bunch of stuff. At least that time it was easier to prove it wasn't me. The person who signed the credit slip spelled my name wrong and all the purchases were made in another state.

The worst thing that's happed to me was I received a letter stating a bench warrant was issued for me. At first I though someone playing a joke but I called the number on it and it was for a shop lifting charge from Reno. The court clerk was acting like I lost my mind. I've never been arrested in my life. In the end I was able to prove it wasn't me.

kimichan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This has happened to me before too. You can sign up through Equifax (one of the 3 major credit agencies) to received credit watch alerts. It cost me $50 for the year, but it was worth it for me. They send me emails whenever my account balance increase by a certain percentage (that I was able to dictate) or if a new account was opened or closed. They contacted me when I bought my car and started a new loan. It's comforting that I will be contacted almost immediately when something changes with any of my accounts. Good luck!!!

G

ghostuser

Thank you so so so so soooooo much for that link, Talon!!!

One of the credit report companies has my mother's name with my social security number and birthdate! No wonder she's been getting mail from Victoria's Secret addressed to her with "Use your Angels Card". She doesn't have an Angel's Card, I do!