Creating TCS Cookbook

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Christy, I'm not a copyright lawyer, but my guess is that almost every recipe came from a published source at one time or another.
As many fundraiser cookbooks that are out there, I'm sure this issue would have come up at some time. Since we're not profiting from publishing the recipes, I think that would make us pretty clear of most liability issues. JMO, though.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by valanhb
Christy, I'm not a copyright lawyer, but my guess is that almost every recipe came from a published source at one time or another.
As many fundraiser cookbooks that are out there, I'm sure this issue would have come up at some time. Since we're not profiting from publishing the recipes, I think that would make us pretty clear of most liability issues. JMO, though.
I'm inclined to agree. Especially as those recipes that came from some book at some time have probably long since been modified and adapted, twisted and tweaked, to the point where many are simply not the same thing any more -- even if you do know the original source.

coco maui

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where is the thread with the recipes? How do we submit one?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Coco Maui
Where is the thread with the recipes? How do we submit one?
It's the Family Recipes thread, looking forward to seeing your recipes

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cookbook sounds like a lot of fun! I didn't see any recipes for cats in the Family Recipes thread, and I'm willing to help out by collecting some.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here are the "Cat" recipes that have been collected thus far:

Calico Crunchies\t
Kitten Glop Recipe\t
Kitten Formula #1\t
Kitten Formula #2\t
Kitten Formula #3\t
Kitten Formula #4\t
Kitten Formula #5\t
Tuna Cookies\t
Kitty Kisses\t
Go Fish\t
Mackerel Munchies\t
Magically Moist Morsels\t
Calico Crunchies\t
Liver (or Tuna) Puffs\t
Tomato & Turkey Jerky\t
Kitty Heaven\t
Vitamin Vittles\t
Bland Brew for Finicky Felines\t
Kitty Taco\t
Potatoes Au Feline\t
20 Cats Kibbles

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted some cat recipes on the recipe thread, and I will edit my posts and delete the ones that are duplicates of the recipes you already have.

coco maui

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted a corn bread recipe in the Family Recipe thread. I hope it is not too late.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope - its going to take a while to compile, edit and work thru the logistics. A number of folks are gathering bios, creating the cover art, getting a name, etc. This will take at least a few weeks to get it in good shape.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heidi is doing the artwork for the cover. Does anyone want to volunteer to do an opening page - perhaps an explanation of how the cookbook was developed, TCS, where the proceeds are going to, etc?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
if there are no volunteers, i would be happy to do the introduction page. That way a little bit of CWSI where the proceeds are going can be explained? But if someone else wishes to do this, that's fine with me as well. I can put them in touch with the cat shelter so they can talk to Rivi and find out the crisis.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think Hissy would be the best person to write an introduction.

But if there is anything I can do, please let me know, I would love to help out!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK - got 23 more pages put in this morning and will start a full edit / sanity check on the recipes over the weekend.

Is there anyone out there that understands fundamentals of cooking out there to serve as a second set of editing eyes on the recipes? I'm pretty good, but will probably not catch everything. I would like someone to specifically read thru each recipe and judge whether there is enough information on them to include in the cookbook, and perhaps fill in the blanks on some that are vague. Many of the recipes submitted are general statements (I can understand cause I cook like that), of which I have tried to put more specifics around to make them more comprehensive for the novice cook.

I can get the first draft shipped out hopefully by Sunday, realizing that more recipes will be trickling in before we complete this project.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Momofmany
OK - got 23 more pages put in this morning and will start a full edit / sanity check on the recipes over the weekend.

Is there anyone out there that understands fundamentals of cooking out there to serve as a second set of editing eyes on the recipes? I'm pretty good, but will probably not catch everything. I would like someone to specifically read thru each recipe and judge whether there is enough information on them to include in the cookbook, and perhaps fill in the blanks on some that are vague. Many of the recipes submitted are general statements (I can understand cause I cook like that), of which I have tried to put more specifics around to make them more comprehensive for the novice cook.

I can get the first draft shipped out hopefully by Sunday, realizing that more recipes will be trickling in before we complete this project.
It's a job I think I could do satisfactorily, and I'd be delighted to contribute that to the effort. A couple of flies in the ointment, though: I'm not long on time, so the turnaround may not be as fast as you'd like. Also, I don't have MSWord at home (you did say that was the software you'd be using?) However, that's probably not as critical a point, as I'm pretty sure I could get my hands on a copy. So, if you don't have other takers, or if you're OK with slow turnaround, let me know.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Momofmany
<snip> I would like someone to specifically read thru each recipe and judge whether there is enough information on them to include in the cookbook, and perhaps fill in the blanks on some that are vague. Many of the recipes submitted are general statements (I can understand cause I cook like that), of which I have tried to put more specifics around to make them more comprehensive for the novice cook.

If any of my family recipes are what you are referring to, please let me know as I'll just call my Aunt and get her advice on specific measurements (i.e. re the spitini).

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok those of you (wonderful people) who are involved in the creation of this project- not the ones donating recipes) I need some information from you. My thought is to make the Introduction/Foreward -From The Cat Room to the Kitchen- tell a little bit about the concept of the project and why we decided to do this and a little bit about the people behind it.

Here is what I have so far- just so you get the general idea where this is going:

From the Cat Room to the Kitchen

The concept behind this cookbook is two-fold. The greater purpose is to raise funds for The Cat Welfare Society of Israel in their hour of need. Their funding has run out and they are facing the real possibility of closing their doors forever. Unlike the United States, where we have hundreds, it not thousands shelters, rescue groups etc… In Israel, there is only one, and over 600 cats now face euthanasia. Most of these cats were rescued from abuse that would curdle your heart! So, the board members at TheCatSite.com have decided to put together this cookbook for people and their cats.

This leads me to the second reason behind this cookbook. To make recipes known that will help with the raising of orphaned kittens and health-compromised cats, as well as just general treats for the felines you love.

And now meet the board members behind this concept and learn about the daily meeting place where ideas like this one are formed:

George's Mom- The one who initially came up with the idea to create this cookbook for a shelter in need-

Ok that's how it is going, so again if the key players will email [email protected] and keep it brief with cooking and cats emphasized that would be great!