Creating a cat's rainy day fund (vet fund)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

So this particular post isn't exactly kitty related, but it's related to the thread
.... but just to make it kinda fit: "meow meow meow purr purr bunnykick headbutt"
Since the OP asked for more info about ING, I don't think anyone is going to beat you with a stick.

mickey14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have what I call the "Moo fund". this is for Moo when she need her meds for asthma or to go to the vet for her medrol injection.I also used this for her new nebulizer when the other on quit working after 5 years. They cost around 125.00. So I like to be prepared.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

So this particular post isn't exactly kitty related, but it's related to the thread
.... but just to make it kinda fit: "meow meow meow purr purr bunnykick headbutt"

Ok, so I've got some numbers on the ING orange savings account for those interested:

-Current Annual Percentage Yield: 4.50%
-I started with $950 on March 19, 2007
-I've since added a considerable amount (Like I mentioned previously, I cashed savings bonds - about $1500 more)
Then graduation money was about another $950
-So it states that my total interest earned year to date is $21.61 (since March that is) and my monthly interest paid is $2.09
-so my current balance is over $3000

Granted, I have a substantial amount invested (well, nothing huge, but a good amount, haha) but even with a smaller amount of money, you're getting more interest than having it sit in a bank and you can transfer the money back to your checking account at any time... I'm happy with it and glad I can check up on it at home without running to a bank all the time

Their home page is http://home.ingdirect.com/ where you can get more info regarding specific types of accounts
WOW! Thanks for the detailed follow-up.

We considered insurance but since Munchie has a recent bout w/ UTI/crystals, I doubt the monthly payments will be reasonable. Our guys are young, but I want to figure out a good way to save for any REALLY BIG medical expenses (e.g. major surgeries) -- hopefully, they'll be healthy & happy forever

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I have to take them to the vet, I put the charge on a credit card and worry later how to pay for it. Same for buying them food (because I get the best they'll eat, regardless of price). Probably not the best plan, but I won't skimp on my kitties' health even if it means I have to cut back on everything else.