Cream or flame point?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would say cream, but who am I to know for sure? 

For these onlookers most guesting our subforum:

Flame is the cat fancy´s word for red on Pointed cats.     Sometimes that flame red isnt very well visible, especielly on kittens.

And cream is diluted red.   And this may be barely visible coloring, easy to miss on pics of young kittens, if you dont look closely you may even think the kitten is solid colored, whitish as they are.

Last edited by a moderator:

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you happen to have a better picture of his tail for me? The face is usually rather difficult, tails or ears make it easier to see. For now though, I'd say he's a red point.I think the red is rather out there for a 5 month old for it to be crème, and specially picture 2 seems rather dark. But again, I might be wrong and a tail or ear picture would be great. Also, try to make sure the picture resembles your cat. Pictures might be rather pale, and it can make the difference of us saying red or crème because it's rather simular on points.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The thing that confuses me is that I have a ginger cat too, and he's so much gingerer! ...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, true, he is.  Although he is quite a ginger, over average, if I may say this.

Also, remember,  points tend to be darker with time, so your youngster too will be clearer flame with thime.

I see now BiancaVD tip to look at the tail is very nice, better than looking at ears.   If the ears are rosy, we dont know for sure if they are rowy because they are rosy, or becuse they are shorthaired and thin, and the light is shining through. Sort off.

But with the tail, there cant be mistake.   Even I see the colors.   :)

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh beautiful kitties :heart3:

I agree he looks like a flame point rather than cream. The back of his ears and tail are too dark to be cream. As StefanZ says he's still only a baby at the moment and his points will darken up as he ages. :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your insight, people! And I love that you think that you think that my ginger baby is extra ginger!

CreamPointLuvr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
5C8D2247-7236-40A5-B362-73E5B8D7FAE7.jpeg
I was googling the question "how do you tell if it's a cream point or. Flame Point?" And came across this Wonderful Cat forum! I thought my cat was a Flame Point but then her orange points were more light yellow colored, and her tail has mostly white with just a smidgen of light light orange called Cream. Since the colors of a pointed cat continue to develop all over their back and tail and face with age, I waited until she was 1.5 yrs old, her picture today at 4 yrs old is the same intensity of color too. So she's a Dilute Flame Point, otw known as Cream Point.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
View attachment 207313 I was googling the question "how do you tell if it's a cream point or. Flame Point?" And came across this Wonderful Cat forum! I thought my cat was a Flame Point but then her orange points were more light yellow colored, and her tail has mostly white with just a smidgen of light light orange called Cream. Since the colors of a pointed cat continue to develop all over their back and tail and face with age, I waited until she was 1.5 yrs old, her picture today at 4 yrs old is the same intensity of color too. So she's a Dilute Flame Point, otw known as Cream Point.
And quite a cute girl, by the way ;)

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CreamPointLuvr CreamPointLuvr - Personal opinion: her nose leather gives her colouring away - she appears to be an Apricot Point. From the U.K. Council's Breed Standard:

Points: Mask, ears and tail hot cream with a soft metallic sheen. Legs and feet slightly paler in colour but definite colour should show at the rear of the hind legs below the hock.

Body: Warm creamy white. Shading to tone with the points.

Nose, Eye Rims, Paw Pads: Pink.

I'll second Alejandra Rico Alejandra Rico 's remark - what an adorable girl!

CreamPointLuvr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
CreamPointLuvr CreamPointLuvr - Personal opinion: her nose leather gives her colouring away - she appears to be an Apricot Point. From the U.K. Council's Breed Standard:

Points: Mask, ears and tail hot cream with a soft metallic sheen. Legs and feet slightly paler in colour but definite colour should show at the rear of the hind legs below the hock.

Body: Warm creamy white. Shading to tone with the points.

Nose, Eye Rims, Paw Pads: Pink.

I'll second Alejandra Rico Alejandra Rico 's remark - what an adorable girl!
Thank you! I never heard of Apricot Point! Now she is 4 and the back of her hind legs do look a bit "Apricot"!

CreamPointLuvr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In the picture I uploaded, the wall behind the photo should be actually bright white, the yellow lightbulbs created a yellowish cast to the picture. Thank you all for posting about these flame , cream and apricot pointed cats. I do think my cat Sugar looks like a Balinese cat with her finer bone structure and medium-long fur. So if people ask, I’ll just say she is either a cream point Siamese mix, or a Cream Point Balinese! (She was a rescue so no one knows what she really is, other than a pretty little fluffy lucky kitty!)

Haileyb26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your boy is colored just like mine! Beautiful cat. :)