Cream for Cracked Knuckles?

random gemini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use coconut oil for that. Coconut oil is one of the best moisturizers I have ever found. I do use bag balm for cracked heels, but the smell is awful. If you want something you can apply with an antibacterial property that smells good, coconut oil. I'd put it on and then cover the cracked area with a cotton glove over night. You should see progress pretty quickly. 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Lanolin or eucerin cream work well. My personal experience is that lanolin works faster but is also messier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Throw in some epsom salts in the kids' baths next time you notice any rough patches on their skin - will stop any itching and heal them right up. I tell you epsom salts are some kind of miracle thing, I wish I knew about them decades ago! Also for any bites or poison ivy, any itching or skin problems or infections, it works wonders.
I will try that TOMORROW!! 

Lanolin or eucerin cream work well. My personal experience is that lanolin works faster but is also messier.
I think I have some Lanolin under my bathroom sink!  The kind marketed for nursing mothers.  I hope I didn't get rid of it!

Our grocery trip last weekend was super hurried so I didn't get to browse much and from a quick look I didn't find any cotton gloves.  I've been trying to remember to not fully dry my hands and then add lotion after I was them.  The deep crack is nearly healed now but I felt a small one on my next knuckle start.  I'm going to try to get that one tonight before it has a chance to get like the other!

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I get chapped, cracked hands every winter, too. It sucks. The things that have worked the best for me are:

At night, I slather my hands with olive oil and cover with white, cotton socks. It works as a deep conditioner and in the morning, my hands are very soft. I am close to being a compulsive hand washer, so that good work is usually undone by midday, though. But it really helps overall.

For bad cracks, I coat with a lot of Neosporin and wrap with gauze and medical tape. The ointment leaks through band-aids and loosens the adhesive, so the tape is necessary for keeping the covering in place. Duct tape and electrical tape work well, too. This wouldn't translate to knuckles very well, but it is great for the cracks at the corner of fingernails and on the finger tips.

High quality lotion next to every sink. That way, I am more likely to use the lotion frequently. If I am working, I will just lotion across my knuckles, let it set in for a few seconds, and lotion the area again. I just found Carmex Hand Lotion and it is great! I was thrilled they have started making a hand lotion because I have loved their lip stuff forever. In fact, I have used the regular Carmex in place of the above mentioned Neosporin before with good results. It also works well on the scabs that sometimes form in your nose when you have a cold and have been wiping and blowing too much.

I have used super glue for closing big cracks and it works well. It is handy for work and other times when I don't want to be bandaged up. The super glue holds up well to repeated hand washings.

I hope your hands are feeling better soon!

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use cracked heel treatment by true blue spa they sell it at Bath and Body Works. recently, though, someone showed me a almond hand repair from the body shop. I was amazed. Its either rescue or repair.

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try AMLACTIN. They have two different versions, a white tube with blue letters and a white tube with green letters. They both stink but work great. I think the blue letter one is the foot cream but I use it on my hands.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Have you had a chance to try anything? I have been using WAY too much hand sanitizer in the past week or so and my hands are back to being a mess.