Crazy weather, just want to start my garden already!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weather here has been so crazy, one week its 30 degrees, the next it's 80, then 40, all over the place! I so want to start my rooftop garden, but know I should wait. I have been regrowing the same plants for years from clippings I store over the winter and don't want to loose any of them!
Anybody started their gardens yet?

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We gave up on gardening. I didn't want to have to sit on a bucket and pick beans with my back to the cornfield. That is the way it would be no matter where we put the bucket. We have bears and bobcats. I buy my veggies at Food Lion.
Good luck to you when you start yours. I hope it all grows well.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started mine last week (I'm in Texas). Had dh "plow" and then I seeded last week.

Today I planted a flat of begonias out front and here is a photo of some azaleas I took last week in our backyard.

I also planted two tomato plants in a those "topsy turvy" thingies. Hopefully those will make it easier for me to keep the mockingbirds from picking the ripe fruit later in the season as I'll just wrap them with bird netting.

Of course there is still much weeding to be done. It never seems to end.

Hope you get started soon. I'm definitely running later than usual and totally missed the "tender greens" planting season.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blueyedgirl5946

We gave up on gardening. I didn't want to have to sit on a bucket and pick beans with my back to the cornfield. That is the way it would be no matter where we put the bucket. We have bears and bobcats. I buy my veggies at Food Lion.
Good luck to you when you start yours. I hope it all grows well.
When you say bears and bobcats I am assuming your not talking about Muffin and Speedboat
.....I live in Manhattan so the biggest garden infiltrators are squirrels and birds! The squirrels have made me a crazy woman! One of the worst things is they have no fear of people here, I have to chase them and scare them to get them out of my plants!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

I started mine last week (I'm in Texas). Had dh "plow" and then I seeded last week.

Today I planted a flat of begonias out front and here is a photo of some azaleas I took last week in our backyard.

I also planted two tomato plants in a those "topsy turvy" thingies. Hopefully those will make it easier for me to keep the mockingbirds from picking the ripe fruit later in the season as I'll just wrap them with bird netting.

Of course there is still much weeding to be done. It never seems to end.

Hope you get started soon. I'm definitely running later than usual and totally missed the "tender greens" planting season.
I love your pics! I am originally from Texas, hello fellow Texan! We have a lot of beautiful blooming trees in the area, I should take some pics and post them. Unfortunately I don't have a yard, just a back rooftop, but I do as much as I can and my neighbors who live above me always tell me how much they love my garden
. Lots of flowers and definitely always have an herb garden. Good luck with your tomatoes....

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a little herb garden that just replenishes itself each year. It has rosemary, oregano, echinacea, garlic, fennel, thyme, lemon balm, lavender, CATNIP and even some asparagus scattered about in it:

I was in NYC in November a couple of years ago and was impressed by the beauty of the fall foliage (loved the gingkos in Central Park) so I can only imagine how lovely everything is in the spring!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

I have a little herb garden that just replenishes itself each year. It has rosemary, oregano, echinacea, garlic, fennel, thyme, lemon balm, lavender, CATNIP and even some asparagus scattered about in it:

I was in NYC in November a couple of years ago and was impressed by the beauty of the fall foliage (loved the gingkos in Central Park) so I can only imagine how lovely everything is in the spring!
Hah, little herb garden I think not.........I think it's your rosemary that looks like a medium size shrub
! I am so jealous, my rosemary died this winter, we had a rough one. Of course my plants are in planters and they have been building a new 8 story building next door for over a year now. This has been a real pain in the donkey! I have a couple of tropical plants that I store indoors over the winter and clippings of Coleus, Oxalis, Nasturtium that take off each year when I replant outside.....

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, you noticed the rosemary? LOL Y, hard to believe I bought it in a 6 inch pot! It will be great for making veggie skewers on the grill this summer! Hope you get a nice new rosemary plant!

And "little" is all relative. I have a 1/2 acre lot! After a season of mowing all that grass I decided I needed to make GARDENS---and lots of them. I have perrenial beds, shrub beds, etc. After a few years, we needed to take up more space so we put in a pool. LOL Finally I just hired someone to do the mowing and have been much happier ever since. I still do all the gardening myself, however.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still way to cold for thought of any veggie garden. Going to get some composted horse manure in the next week or two but was going to use the first truckload to topdress my perennial beds. Am increasing the size of veg garden this year but won't be to much larger than its 1/4 acre.

My largest wholesale vendor of flowers is having opening house next week. So I plan on stopping in to see LOTS of plants. 27 greenhouses for mainly annuals and then the areas between the greenhouses have most of the perennials. And its less than 10 minutes from my house.

Dug up all those plants I didn't find a spot for/overwintered mum plants and some plants I divided/ I have over 50 plants just of those!!

Greenhouses around here will open for business maybe next weekend. The nurseries are probably on the same schedule.

I stopped yesterday at both Lowes and Home Depot and had to shake my head at their perennials. They must get them from a southern US source are the plants they had are a good 2 1/2 months ahead of where they should be bloom wise.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

When you say bears and bobcats I am assuming your not talking about Muffin and Speedboat
No we lost Speedboat in January. I do still have Muffin and a female calico named Mattie. I was speaking of real live bears and real live bobcats. I forgot to mention the coyotes. I didn't feel very comfortable sitting with my back to the cornfield because whatever stepped out of the field would be in the yard with me.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The temperature has been up and down here, too. Next weekend I may be brave enough to set my little tomato plants outside for a bit so they can start "hardening off". Or I may not be so brave...I'm very protective over them.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd love to have a proper garden! Right now, it's just my little balcony, but I'm growing lots of seedlings to put out in a month or so. I have quite a few popping up now and hopefully a decent amount will survive to become nice flowering plants.
Cheylink, that's great that you can have a little rooftop garden in NYC! I hope the new building doesn't block too much light.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
No garden here yet, but DH keeps promising me that he'll get the rototiller for a small veggie garden this year. A raised bed would be nice. Nothing exotic, just a space for some tomatoes, some peppers (both bell and hot), and lots of zucchini. Maybe some broccoli, too. Our herbs are grown in the flowerbed in the back yard, so I could transplant them. We have a lot of deer around, as well as 3 very hungry groundhogs and some raccoons, so it will have to be fenced somehow.

We are planning two flower beds this year. One is just an extension of the current bed in the front yard. That bed now has two weeping cherries, some daffodils (spring), some Joe-pye weed, and some coneflowers and rudbeckia. We're extending it out about ten feet and about half the length of the house. My sister gave me a beautiful japonica for Easter this year, so it will go in that bed.

I've been wanting a moon garden for a few years now and would like to start it this year. With lots of silvery and white flowers and shrubs, so that when the full moon shines on the garden, it will be beautiful. I'm not sure what I want for the centerpiece of the garden yet.

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I started my garden... but only indoors. It will probably be at least a month before I can move the plants outside.
So far my tomato plants are a few inches tall and I also have some mini-peppers, mini eggplants and a cucumber plant that started to grow. The only ones I'm having trouble with are the cherry tomatoes, for some reason. And three of my cucumber seeds were killed by little white worms.

I bought heirloom varieties of tomatoes and cucumbers this year and I'm really excited to see how that goes.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our weather has been all over the place, too. I finally raked off the flower beds last week when the temp was near 80; a couple of nights later parts of our town had a hard frost. Luckily, not at my house.
I just came in from uncovering the fountain and trimming some rose bushes. I have half a dozen hostas to set out, some black-eyed-susan vine seedlings that I started indoors, a rhododendron, a purple empimedium, a meadowsweet, a peony, and a whole flat of impatiens.
My back hurts just thinking about it.