Crazy night cat

MinnyGrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I have 4 cats we rescued. One won't let my husband sleep in the same bed as me. If he does, she becomes hyper, wakes me up, jumps on Everything, knocks things down, and meows and yowls incessantly. We tested and discovered if he sleeps on the couch alone, that she's with him all night, sleeping calmly with him. I don't know what to do, or why she's doing this. Does anyone have any ideas???

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Do you and your husband play with each cat separately before bed?

Have you tried feeding her some treats in the bed. (You, so she begins to bond with you more) or play with her on your bed with a wand toy.

It sounds like she needs to build some more trust with you. Cats sleep with people/other cats they trust to watch their backs. She doesn't trust you to watch her back or your DH's! You can build that with her for sure!

14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me - TheCatSite
Do Cats Have a Favorite Person? - TheCatSite

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you reversed sleeping locations - as in your husband sleeping with the cat in the bed while you sleep on the couch? Just curious to see if the bed is the issue, rather than you.

Does she seek your husband out when he is on the couch, or does he take her with him? What would happen if you took her with you when you would sleep on the couch?

Don't know where your other cats are sleeping, but could she be placed in a roomy carrier and set on the bed beside your husband while you are also in the bed? Maybe set the carrier on a chair beside the bed, on the side that your husband sleeps on.

Just testing out things to try to see her reaction to them...

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How old is she and is this a new issue or has her possessiveness of your husband been building over time? Is she neutered?

Could one of you, including kitty, be having a health issue that your not aware of? Do the other cats sleep in the bed? Do you toss around in your sleep? Activity outside the bedroom window that she can't see from the livingroom but wants to be with her human? Do you toss around in your sleep? Over the years we've had several that kept me from bouncing them out of the bed by laying between my knees on top of the covers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MinnyGrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Do you and your husband play with each cat separately before bed?

Have you tried feeding her some treats in the bed. (You, so she begins to bond with you more) or play with her on your bed with a wand toy.

It sounds like she needs to build some more trust with you. Cats sleep with people/other cats they trust to watch their backs. She doesn't trust you to watch her back or your DH's! You can build that with her for sure!

14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me - TheCatSite
Do Cats Have a Favorite Person? - TheCatSite
She trusts us, we adopted her when she was a baby. She plays with me and cuddles during the day, but at night when her dad's here she's all about him

MinnyGrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old is she and is this a new issue or has her possessiveness of your husband been building over time? Is she neutered?

Could one of you, including kitty, be having a health issue that your not aware of? Do the other cats sleep in the bed? Do you toss around in your sleep? Activity outside the bedroom window that she can't see from the livingroom but wants to be with her human? Do you toss around in your sleep? Over the years we've had several that kept me from bouncing them out of the bed by laying between my knees on top of the covers.
She's fixed. Her hyperness isn't new, and all our other cats sleep on the bed no problem. We thought fixing her would calm her down. But she still wakes me up at night. And only behaves when my husband sleeps on the couch and she has him to herself

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She trusts us, we adopted her when she was a baby. She plays with me and cuddles during the day, but at night when her dad's here she's all about him
Oh is he not there all the time?

Do you move around a lot in your sleep? Magnus will yell at me to come downstairs to sleep when my wife has a restless sleep.

MinnyGrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh is he not there all the time?

Do you move around a lot in your sleep? Magnus will yell at me to come downstairs to sleep when my wife has a restless sleep.
He works 10 hour days, doesn't get home till late at night. But only 4 days a week. She just doesn't like sharing him with me.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you think might happen if you slept in one of your husband’s t shirts? Perhaps she likes his scent.

• Purraise
Reactions: D_H

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She might be extra excitable when he's home in that case and may need extra play sessions on those nights before bed.

You can also try museum putty to keep her from knocking things off shelves.