Crazy cat won't let me sleep

purplepei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need some advice please.

At night we close off the kitchen and living rooms so the cats can't go in. Fable is too young and Wil can't be trusted not to wee on things.

The last couple of nights Rove has been banging on the door to go into this area. Last night he did it for two hours before I went out and slept with him on the couch. I think he stayed there all night so wasn't after anything In particular and it's not me because he is allowed to sleep on the bed.

As a bit of a background, for seven years he would every night bang on a mirrored closet in the bedroom. When we moved it became the window. We used to stop him by spraying him with water or hissing or throwing socks in his general direction. He stopped this three years ago when we got a dog.

It is harder stopping him with him being in another room as he stops when we
get up. plus I want to sleep.

Sorry if that was very long.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He can't be in the closed off area with the other cats because . . .?

He has everything he needs where he is, right?

White noise and ear plugs (for the humans) is one way to train him that you are not going to react, and eventually he'll give up. Confining him to a small room far away from where you sleep will also help.

How old is he? Has he been to the vet recently? Any sudden change in behavior warrants a vet check.

Robin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purplepei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is with the other cats. They are all locked out of the living room\\kitchen area. He has everything he needs

He is 10 and has always been a bit odd. I kinda thought he was lapsing into old behavious rather thannew.