Crazy Cat New Baby Coming Help

crazykitty1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had my cat since he's been 6 weeks old, he is now 2 and he is hyper to say the least. I have toys for him, a scratch post, he has his own kitty city where he can play and sleep, and I also give him love and attention and of course he always has food/water and clean litter box.  He has also got all his vet care.  He will be a sweet kitty at times then out of no where he will get in "crazy mode" run around like a maniac, start biting, he will hide then jump out and nip your leg.  I don't know where this comes from.  Does anyone have any natural calm down suggestions as a new baby will be coming into the home in a couple months.  I will give him the Petco Calming Cat treats which he loves and they seem to help slightly but not much.  Any suggestions are very much appreciated.  Oh and I got a baby doll to try to introduce him and he does seem to leave the doll alone, but then again the doll doesn't move and I'm afraid he will try and attack baby like he does to me.  

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh boy!  I would suggest also playing baby sounds and even scents (if you plan to use a certain bath/lotion product).  My vet recommended using Feliway diffusers before bringing my 2nd baby home.  Mooch had been stressed by all the changes when my first came.  They put out calming pheromones.  That may help.

I would suggest basically scheduled play sessions with him every day.  Something to really wear him out but also give him the attention he is looking for.  If he starts nipping or things like that; the fun stops immediately.  Keep this up after your baby comes.  As much as baby changes things; keep it a priority that he gets attention.  Sometimes kittens who leave Mom that young don't get to learn kitty manners very well.  So that is in essence one thing you can focus on.  But keeping something like that predictable will help him adjust too.  

I also do not leave my kids unsupervised with our girls much.  Even now that they are 3 and 1 (Mooch and Noodles are 8, so calmer!).  We all sleep with our doors shut to keep them out.  DH is allergic but I also don't want the kids being woken by the girls.   Over time I've found they have their own methods for dealing with the kids.  Mooch keeps her distance.  Occasionally she will let DD pet her or DS if she forgets to keep an eye on him!  When they were babies and I'd feed them bottles on the couch; Mooch would come sit in my lap and sometimes on theirs too. Noodles goes between keeping her distance and keeping them in line.  If DD is getting rowdy and she's close to Noodles; Noodles might swat her leg.  DD isn't too fond of Noodles and has learned when to leave her alone.  (Noodles is our resident grumpy cat; she'll swat us sometimes. 
)

I hope that helps!  If you have more questions please post them! 

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is he fixed? It might not be the best time now but another cat his age would be great to keep him entertained and tire him out. Interactive toys like Da Bird are also useful to tire crazy cats out. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazykitty1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes he is fixed, he's been fixed for well over a year now.  We buy him toys to be entertained and he seems to love them for the first day then looses interest quick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazykitty1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would a cat calming collar be a good thing to try?  If so, can anyone recommend a good one?

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never used one but I have heard good things about them I don not think there is one brand better than another but maybe someone else has better information on this.