Crazy, annoying, cute, awesome, etc...Things they do to get our attention

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it might be fun to talk about how funny and smart our cats are... The crazy things they do to get our attention, make us laugh, or get their point across.  Because, cats are very smart... Sometimes too smart for their own good.  Contrary to what many believe, I believe they actually put lots of planning and thought into these things.  They know how to push our buttons or get their own way, for sure!!!

Where to begin???? 

Piper... She meows like a mouse squeaks.  Most of the time, you can barely hear her.  But, when she is mad (I call her Piper Viper and for good reason, too) or even just irritated, she can definitely make herself heard!  She screams like the world is ending.  Most of the time it just amounts to her being a drama queen but, man, the sound can definitely wake the dead!  She has recently discovered that her screaming gets mommy's attention.  This is not a good thing!!!

Phoebe... She's a talker.  She's not too subtle either.  If she wants something, she gets in your face (literally) and demands it!!!

Paige... My gentle and quiet girl.  She barely makes a sound.  But, when she wants my attention, she scratches the closet door mirrors.  It's her own special brand of annoyance and getting mom's focus on her. 

Morgan... Much like Phoebe she just gets in your face and talks non stop. 

King Arthur... What can I say... My boy will body slam the girls out of the way to get all the lovin's for himself.  I try to teach him that's not nice but I can't help but laugh at him!!!  He is my clown!!  He has no impulse control whatsoever!!  He attacks my butt if I am on computer and not paying attention to him, too. 

ciggggg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol haha they sound like right little terrors!

My Penny, she loves to jump up on the keyboard when im trying to type, I always say no and take her off, but cats being cats, she chooses to pretend i didnt say a thing! After about the 6th time of me saying no and taking her off, she'll jump back up next to me right next to the keyboard, she sits there staring at me non-stop..then ever so slowly and cautiously she slowly lifts one little paw up onto the keyboard while still looking at me. I seriously think she plots this out. shes probably thinking.. maybe if I approach this slower and give him the "eyes" he wont be angry at me... She loves to torment me and test the waters as it were. lol couldn't imagine life without her but!

blueorchid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL!!

Well Gracie doesn't moew much, if at all. She makes this strange ppppprrrrrrttttt sound and get right in your face and stares at you when she is hungry. Now when she wants to be petted she just insist on walking all over you now matter how many times you put her down.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of my cats are pretty quiet, but Blaze sometimes will walk through the house yowling at nothing.
  If he does that and I call back to him he keeps meowing loudly but comes towards me and then once he's in the room he stops. Silly!

If they want attention my cats just come and sit on me. Pretty straightforward!

Last edited:

malama popoki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well Gracie doesn't moew much, if at all. She makes this strange ppppprrrrrrttttt sound and get right in your face and stares at you when she is hungry.
Ha!  Tater Sue, a Siamanx, makes the ppppprrrrrttttt noise often.  She mutters ppppprrrrrttttppppprrrrrtttppppprrrtttt all day long, whenever she is bored, hungry, sleepy, looking for someone to play with.  I can hear her muttering to herself all over the house, sometimes she'll jump off of a piece of furniture, mid "ppprrttt", and she'll make a PPRRT!  exclamation as she hits the ground.   When I pat her head she'll say, "Yeeeeeow!"..  blink.   blink.. Prrrrttt.  Silly girl!  I think that what she lacks in tail she makes up for in vocal capacity!
Prrt!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Flambe is our triller, and he does it as he runs around.  He never can figure out why he can't sneak up on the other cats.

But to get my attention, he messes with the wires or boxes behind my desk.  He can be VERY insistent when he wants us to play with him.  If he wants Dottie to play with him, he paws the blinds.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ritz mainly meows.  And meows.  She'll also lay down, fully stretched out--a classic sign of pay attention to me.

When she wants me to get up early (by early, I mean 3 a.m. instead of 4 a.m.), she'll meow.  If this doesn't work, she'll simply come closer to me and Stare.  Just Stare.

Sometimes silence is more guilt-producing than words.

arthorn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She hasn't done it in a while, but my cat lute (aka tooters, toots, tootsy pants, muffin, or anything else I feel like calling her at the time) used to wake me up in the middle of the night by gently placing her paw on my nose. If she'd woken me up on a regular basis in a less adorable way it might've been annoying, but even at 4 a.m. it was awesome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I am sitting in the chair,King Arthur will come around to the side, stand on his hind legs, and put his paw on my hand and meow when he wants me to scratch his head behind his ears.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiny has learned to meow at me. He's a stray and probably got dumped as a kitten before we met, so he was pretty much half-feral, and he never meowed. But when Christy came to stay with us, after about a year she settled down and stopped being so anxious, and started mewing at me to get attention. Tiny must have seen her doing it, because one day I was working on my computer and I heard what I thought was a strange cat outside. I turned around to see Tiny looking up at me uncertainly, as though wondering if he'd done it right! Now he uses the meow occasionally, when he really needs to get my attention.