Crazy, aggressive, destructive cat-advice needed

epwv82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Back story- Oscar was found by me, as an adult of about 2 years old, in 2007. A tenant of my dads moved out in the middle of the night and left her 2 cats and dog, and I ended up keeping Oscar because he showed up several days after I had already found paces for her cat and dog. He lived just fine with my other cats for about 2 years, at which point he started picking fights, not socializing, and stopped grooming himself. He was stressing the other cats out, so in August of 2009, I moved him into my bedroom, where he has lived since. At that time, he began grooming again (I did take him to the vet before moving him into my room and nothing was found wrong). He lived in my room for a few years before he started getting destructive, wanting to get outside through the sliding door I have out onto my deck, wanting to get out the door into the rest of the house, meowing constantly, destroying my furniture, carpet, and wood trim, etc. I tried to let him out of the bedroom under supervision, but that didn't work out well. He is extremely aggressive with the other cats, and I have been on antibiotics twice because of breaking up his fights and he's bitten me. Yet, if I leave the bedroom door open, and the other cats come in the bedroom, he's fine, except with one of my other males, Bert. I have constantly used the Feliway plug ins, even though they seem to have no effect. The last time I took him to the vet, he bit the vet tech badly. He is on 10 mg of amitryptiline daily, which seemed to help at first, but is doing nothing that I can see now. He has cat towers and toys, etc, but he lives alone in te bedroom until nighttime, when it's me, my fiance, and the 5 dogs. He has no issue with the dogs and sleeps with them all night. But his destructiveness, combined with his all night meowing, flipping open bathroom cabinet doors, scratching on every wood surface there is, etc, I am starting to hate this cat, and it's not like I haven't tried to figure out what's wrong. Any suggestions? I'm attaching pics of some of what he's destroyed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epwv82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last vet visit was last month sometime, where he was put on amitriptyline and also bit the vet tech. Nothing abormal came from his bloodwork or urinalysis.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's probably bored. Does he ever get structured interactive exercise? Like playing with a fishing-pole toy or laser light? I think that would help. Also, if he likes scratching wood surfaces, try to get him a wooden scratching post so he has a "legal" outlet for his scratching.

It is weird that it's only recently popped up, so I do think meds are a good idea---if one med doesn't work, try another. It can take a few tries before you figure out which one works for that individual cat.