Crazy active after a poo?

cat brothers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just for the heck of it I'll add my two cents worth to this discussion. My shy cat, Shadow, comes out of the litter box as if shot from a cannon and runs and skips down the hall while sedate Persy just casually walks away. If smell were the reason for such frivolity one would think both would do it.
Whatever the reason, it is still startling to hear Shadow scamble as he clears the box and rounds the corner before heading for parts elsewhere.
Cat brothers

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isaac does that all the time. He comes tearing out of the box & runs around like a maniac. Jordan does it sometimes, but especially lately (Since he was diagnosed with Megacolon). Maggie & Levi haven't ever done that.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the Departure From Area Of Olfactory Unpleasantness theory!
But I wonder if it might also be a survival instinct. Critters are so vulnerable while they're pooping, maybe they like to run afterward just in case something was sneaking up on them while they were stationary...?

mia's mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mia never does that. She'll go poo, kick some litter over it and then go hang out in the window. I rarely see her run around anymore. I got her new catnip mice but she's not even interested in those.

tru87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hahahahahaha I absolutely thought I was so special for having a male cat that does this lol.

I just love when he poops now because he absolutely goes INSANE lol.

My female cat doesn't though.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who noticed this.