Crating a kitten for 8 weeks

yasminf78

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I recently adopted a kitten with a bum leg. Turns out he has fractures and possibly a torn ACL. He’s too young for surgery but ortho wants me to basically crate him for 8 weeks. Has anyone had to confine their cat for this long? Does the cat get used to it? I’m thinking of just limiting where he can go and putting him in his little tent if he gets too wild.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine crating a young kitten for that long! But the vet knows best. Does he have a splint, or wrap or anything to hold it in place? I would call the vet and have a long talk. Ask him about limiting his movement like you said. maybe keeping him in a large wire dog pen? (Cheap on buy and sell sites) or a large covered playpen? make sure the leg is held in place and NO JUMPING! A kitten that young should heal quickly.

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did have to crate my cat for 3 weeks when she injured her knee. The vet said it’s either crate rest or surgery so we wanted to try that first. I think she was around 7 months old at the time. Of course she hated it and made a mess inside, but luckily her leg was okay afterwards.