Crating a cat, cruel or kind?

graciethedragon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Gracie  peed on my rug in 4 spots :-( She has had this problem 5 other times.   The last time she did this I confined her to the dog crate with her litter box.  When she went to pee she stood to pee and it was like a flood!  placing a paper towel quickly over the spot showed traces of blood.  Off to the vet for antibiotics.  She was on Clavamox.  I kept her crated until all was normal. That was the only time her peeing was UTI related.

Recently she peed so I confined her to the crate, so I could watch her.  She peed after her dinner, and all seemed well.  I took her to the vet anyway, this time x-rays ..no stones, and she is UTI free. She has her claws, but I trim often as I know she has peed on the rug before because her nails were too long.

The vet thinks it is behavioral, and said to confine her 7-10 days. She is not a lap cat, and through all her 13 years she has been a hissy, leave me alone sort.  She will road block company and also tries to bite anyone but me.   The crate juggling was a bit much, so I tried the bathroom.  I only have one, she hated being in there, and would cry all night.  But she did use her box. Once I knew she had used the box I would allow her to roam.

Since she never minded to dog crate I ordered her a cat crate of her own crate, its a 2 level and bought a new litter box.  She used to sleep in the dog crate from time to time on her own with the door open.  

I posted a pic of her cuddles in her new crate, she seems so content.  This evening she was watching tv from the perch, she ate her dinner and curled in for a nap.  Is confinement for her less stressful?  I am thinking after she is using the box appropriately I will let her out when I can supervise her.  My boyfriend thinks this is no life for her, but she seems happy.   I f she is happy and my home is safe overnight and when I am at work I think its a solution.  Between replacing the area rug, the enzyme cleaners, and the vet bills I think this is the only way we can live affordably in peace.  Oh I forgot to add that while I let her roam, the dog got into the bathroom and ate copious amounts of the "corn"  World's Best Cat Litter.  (no "treats" it was clean)  She was pooping like a horse for 2 days :-(  I am in a one bedroom 1 floor space and do not have a room to confine her to.   I am torn, maybe it will be temporary but this behavior keeps returning.  Thoughts???  Thanks in advance

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

graciethedragon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought her a Sentry calming collar for good measure.  Also the vet put her on Cosequin a joint supplement because he says it promotes Kidney Health.  Anyone ever tried?

amice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Based on the way you described her behavior in the crate and the picture of her in the crate (and the size of the crate itself), everything seems to be going well. The crate looks pretty comfortable- maybe consider adding some cat toys so she can entertain herself during the day? Even though she's 13, cats are forever young at heart. You are right- a couple hours of free-roam and cuddle time with you is a must, because no matter how independent she is, it's a great way for you to bond and for her to exercise those aging joints.

These are just a few things to think about before immediately diagnosing this as a "behavioral" problem: Have you used the World's Best Cat Litter for her entire life? Some cats do not adapt well to sudden litter transitions and will then urinate/defecate outside of their litter boxes. Make sure you scoop the litter box at least daily (if not more often). There may also be something potentially stressing her out, causing her not to use the litter box. These are just the most common and general causes of urinating outside of the litter box.  Please also do make sure that she is staying hydrated every day and that you are also feeding her wet/raw food to maintain the healthy balance and water supply she needs every day. There is more helpful information about it on this thread.

As long as she gets some room to roam every day and play/spend some time with you, I think the crate is a good (temporary) solution. I've never tried the calming collars, but I (and many other members) have direct experience with Feliway diffusers, which have overall worked pretty well for my cats during stressful situation, whether health or behavior-related. Here is the reviews page for the Sentry Calming Pheromone Collar:  http://www.thecatsite.com/products/sentry-good-behavior-pheromone-collar-for-cats/reviews/3913. I am sure that several members have had varied experiences with the product, so they should be willing to help you out with that.

I have never heard of Cosequin being used to promote kidney health, but I'm sure that other members have direct experience with this. 

Best wishes for you and your cat (she looks very comfortable in that pic- a big bundle of purr!)

graciethedragon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So after 2 days of total confinement... meals everything in the crate.  She peed in the box twice.  

Its the weekend now so I have time to cat watch.  This evening I let her out to eat dinner, crated her, then she used the box so I let her out to roam... (not sure if she peed or pooped as its a dome box.) I wanted to catch her using the box so I could reward her with roam time. Maybe rewards are more of a dog thing.  My dog instantly associates rewards and repeats the behavior.  What benefit does she get from peeing on my rug!!!  I  think there has to be something in it for her.

The litter is not new, been over a year.  Her box is immaculate.  

Funny she went right to the bathroom... I guess since she was housed in there she wanted to check for more food, or to see if her stuff was still in there.  She sniffed the crate from the outside and then wandered around.  I followed her afraid maybe she still needed to pee :--( and was looking for a spot.  

She ran to her basket in the living room, hunkered down and meowed as if to say "don't put me back"  I held her for a bit until which Im surprised she let me do, talked softly to her, and put her back in her basket.  

I checked the box... not pee :-(

She is now wandering and seems playful but my gut tells me she needs to pee.  I tried playing with her and it turned into a hissing fit.  I am thinking she wanted to mark the rug and I was in her way.

I will never understand cats :-(    I put her back, and am now on a pee watch vigil.  I just thought if I could watch her it would give me a clue.  She is now roosting on her crate perch, seems totally agitated.

My goal is for her to use the box  consistently so I can leave her free.  I fear that will never be the case. Maybe Im just asking for too much too soon.

We will start over in the morning.  From what I read peeing is a tough one to solve.   But I will never be able to sell my condo if it smells like cat pee.

I will pick up Feliway this weekend.  

purrrato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried placing a small square bucket filled w litter  in each of the rooms she has peed in?

graciethedragon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 I can't because I have a dog, I guess I could leave one out when I am there to supervise.  She uses the box when there is no other choice, like the bathroom or crate.  Would the extra litter boxes where she has peed be permanent?  I think she would pee next to it.  I think she likes the soft carpet.  I really thought the tests would show UTI and we could clear it up for her.  

purrrato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess it is hard when you have a doggie too. They would not be permanent. Just a little more convenient reminder and encouragement. maybe she doesn't like going potty in where its enclosed.Try taking the lid off the box for a little while. Sorry I am not much help. BTW crating is fine as long as they get their free time too. I had to crate my 2 kitties I found at 2mos old for 2 months. I let them out 5 times a day for an hour and a half. Obviously I have the time to do that and you are working during the day so that is not practical for you. Hopefully the litter box w no lid and an extra outside the crate while you let her out works. Good luck

graciethedragon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MoochNNoodles ---That link you sent mentioned a used tea bag and OBLAS oil.... might be a good thing to put on the rug when I let her out!  I will keep reading and trying.  Right now I am up stressed and she is curled up sleeping peacefully in her crate. 
  I think she enjoys tormenting me!

Last edited:

random gemini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Something else you could try that worked for me with my first cat... after treating the spot on the rug with Nature's Miracle, once the odor from their urine is gone, begin feeding your kitty in that spot. Fuzz got into the habit of peeing on one of my upholstered chairs in the formal living room. He didn't have a UTI either. So I ended up soaking it down in Nature's Miracle and using the dish of food method to teach him that this was a place to eat, not a place to go. I'm not sure that this is how it SHOULD be done, but it worked for Fuzz and it was pretty low stress for the both of us as far as cat training went. :) 

If you have a dog, and don't have a pet yard enclosure, may I suggest that you get one? That thing is the most useful dog training tool that I have ever had. It will keep the dog separated from the cat's food bowl while you use this training technique and I have found it to be an awesome gate when you need one in a hurry and you can use it to confine a dog that is on limited movement orders from the vet.

Hope this helps!

buckwheat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Play crates are fun for kittens, I have alarge play pen for my two kittens they love , and I love it also. When I go to work I crate them. They have sing, a top bunk, and water dish. They never pee or bm in there never. I train them in crate when they were small with there liter box. They are two of the most lovable kittens I have ever seen. They have scatching toys, climbing toys, and evertime I go store for food I pick them both up something. I put their toys in large basket and clean toys up everyday nite, because they go unto crate at nite. They also have lots of toys in crate. I wouldn't have done it any other way:) oh let me say they do have a time out area with a small crate they stay in no longer than 15mins. I have no i dea if they understand "time out" but it works for me" Lol. My kittens have behaviors like puppies they come when called, the run to bowls when I say "do you wanna eat?" They no the word "no, and stop" what else can I say...ILOVE my kittens. Beauty&Mister. Both are maine coons.

graciethedragon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So now that we have been using the box in the crate consistently, I let her out for meal time.  She and the dog eat side by side.  She usually  pees half way through a meal.  When she walks away half way through her meal and I follow her.  She goes near the crate where her box is.. than walks away.  I put her in the crate with the door open and she will then if she pees in her box I leave the crate open.  If not I close her in and let her out after she pees.  

I am hoping soon she will go to the box on her own, but still do not trust her.  But I think she likes the crate, and will sleep in there even with the door open. If its a territorial thing maybe I have given her less territory to worry about.  

We had company on Saturday - 4 guests.  I debated moving the crate to the bedroom but left her in the living room.  She watched everyone from her crate and seemed very calm.  Usually guests cause her to hiss and growl.  I think her knowing no one could invade her space left her relaxed.  

My goal is for her to use the box in the crate without coaxing.  We're not there yet, but I am hopeful.  I am relieved to not have to clean up cat pee, and she seems content for now.  So its crate, out for dinner, pee and relaease. Nothing like potty training a cat :-)  For those at wits end and having a cat ruin their things with cat pee I think I recommend the crate method.