Crated cat not using tray post-surgery

Cosmic76

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys! My poor little lad has had surgery to pin his pelvis and his put his leg in an external fixator after an RTA. He's 5 days post-surgery and doing very well, all things considered. He is not very mobile but manages to wobble over to his food and he can just about squat for his toileting.

I expect I'm expecting too much too soon, but he doesn't appear to want to use his litter tray. I have provided him with a normal dinner tray (height is less than 2cm) with a layer of litter to use as a toilet, but he is finding spots on his bed to wee/poo. The cleaning up is not an issue at all, but I will have to go back to work soon with people checking in on him and I don't want him to be sitting in his wee/poo for very long, I'm here for the next few days and watch him constantly so can do a quick change whenever he goes, but I don't want him to be uncomfortable while I'm gone. I do have a vet blanket which they gave me to borrow and it's very good at wicking away wee, but the poo is going to be an issue... does anyone have any advice?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might recommend using puppy pee pads within the litterbox itself. He is probably feeling like the "shifting sands" of the litter is hard to manage with his legs and pelvis -- something more stable, like pee pad or even a cut-up blanket or towel, within the box might serve well for a week or so, until his leg &C are stronger. If he has that more stable feeling in the low-cut box you have for him, he might reserve his bedding just for sleeping and recovery, and not pee/poo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cosmic76

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't believe that didn't occur to me, of course you are right! He's rickety at best! I think that's a great idea, thank you, I'm going to lay some kitchen roll down, the pee pads are a bit slidey as well and he still wants to "dig" and the pee pads just end up flinging off.. thank you so much for that flash of brilliance! Fingers crossed...

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:vibes::crossfingers:
C Cosmic76
Maybe you could use a few medium-to-large binder clips to hold a pee pad in place, so it doesn't slide when he "digs"? (Just a few clips only, or they'll get in his way.) They might just fit over the height of your temporary litterbox.

I'm wishing all the best for your cat (and you!) -- hope he has a good recovery! A handful of years ago, I had to crate my cat post- knee surgeries. Eight weeks for each knee; the two surgeries were one year apart! She did okay with her litterbox, no need for pee pads or the like. But we were always cleaning her litterbox!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Definitely give the pee pads, or an alternative disposable product, a try. I did this long term with a diabetic cat who had neuropathy and could not even start to use any litter box. I kept the pee pads on top of her beds (she had two in the same room), so they were easily removed. It became very routine with her; anyone taking care of your boy for you can certainly remove and dispose of a pad of some kind. I hope there is a quick recovery.