Crate Training to Socialize a Stray Rescue

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bear in mind that cat facial expressions are very subtle.  The "Stink Eye" and "Hmmm...I Must Ponder This Further" can look pretty much exactly the same.  If he is eating from the spoon that you set down and is comfortable enough to clean himself in front of you, I'm calling it a win in the baby-step contest!

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I say don't worry if he looks mad at you. He is far better off even though he might not like it at first. You know in your heart that little kitty is far better off getting spoiled by you then living outside without someone to love him.

You should post some photos people on thecatsite love to see cat photos.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anahidrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
week two update..he eats treats out of my hand..he pushes his head into my hand for head rubs..he purrs and kneads. He is still in a large crate but soon, I hope to have him in a small room with no hiding spots and later, the living room..baby steps..

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is EXCELLENT!  He is very close to being in a room.  You are doing so very well with him, progressing in leaps and bounds.  I am just  
.  Pretty soon he will be 
all day long, and we will be 
 right along with you!

anahidrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all purrrfectly happy.

I was away for two weeks and Blanku was well loved by my long time pet sitter. She got him to rub her and kneed and purr. He came to her at the door of the crate as well. I have had similar experiences but not greeting me at the gate door. 

Blanku does not seem to love the crate and keeps tipping over the litter box. I am not taking the stink eye too personal but my gut was, he was not happy in there and ready for a change.

The animal angel I have been working with came over. We are now at week 3 using the crate/ She suggested be try him on our lap. He is very gentle but was not interested. She put him down and he bolted under the sofa. She got him out and suggested we try the empty room for awhile. 

He is in a nice empty room with a window and chair. There is a small table with a cloth over it that he hides behind. 

I spent 3 hours in it working and today, 2. Otherwise, he is trying to get out desperately. This is NOT something he did when he was in my mom's bedroom for two months (hiding under the bed).

I am not sure what to do. 

When I am in the room, he comes to me for rubs and brushes and I reward him with a treat. He eats, pees and poops in front of me.

I know there is no right or wrong. I am offering unconditional love sincerely. 

Your input means a lot

By the way, he is no longer my foster cat. I am committed to creating a forever home for this boy.

:)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe try putting the crate in the room with the door open. It's become a safety spot for him so he might be trying to get back to it when he runs.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are doing very well with this little guy.  Keep up the good work!  @Kieka  may be onto something there....although he doesn't want to be LOCKED in the crate, he may find it a comforting place to retreat to.  Comfy towels or a blanket or pet bed, and a covering for privacy will make it a den for him.  Won't hurt to try!

anahidrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh my gosh, will do today..will put his crate in there...will check in tomorrow..thanks for "holding my hand"

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's what we're here for!  Cats are complicated.  Never mind kids, it takes a village to deal with a CAT!  And this is a very friendly village.

anahidrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long do I keep him in the spare room? I feel bad he is in there all day alone. I do spend 3-5 hours working in there or even napping. It's ridiculous really. I feel so guilty. He has a nice chair and window.  He gives me the stink eye when I return from being away for hours. It doesn't take him long to come over for his hugs and rubs. 

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As well as he is doing, not much longer, I don't think.  Is he out and about in the room?  Looking confident?  If he is, you might try leaving the door open and see what happens, although there is always the chance that you will have to fish him out from under something again.  It sounds as if he is almost ready to be part of your larger world.

anahidrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
fish him out is a good word since that is what we had to do when he hid for 4 days.He is up and down; sometimes confident and lovey dovey, other times, stink eye aloof. He lays on his belly and lets me rub him. I will try another week. I have a dog so he has to get used to that critter, as docile as she is..

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OOOOOH...yeah.  With the dog factor, another week is a good idea.  Although even stink-eye aloof doesn't indicate a lack of confidence, only a need for personal space.  What you need to watch out for is hiding and cowering.  

2pomsandaferal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is EXCELLENT! He is very close to being in a room. You are doing so very well with him, progressing in leaps and bounds. I am just
. Pretty soon he will be
all day long, and we will be
right along with you!
Hi everyone, I’m new to this sight and not sure how this works. I’ve been reading these posts about the large crate training and like original poster I too was wondering how long to let things be in the crate. My Buttonnose was trapped 10 days ago, had a pregnancy terminated, a spay then proceeded to get a nasty upper respiratory infection and inhaled litter which made her lose her appetite. She’s been thru a lot in those 10 days. Two vet trips also in that time. That said, I’ve just put her in this big cage with a carrier and litter box and I’ve just been letting her sleep and heal. Should I just leave her alone for maybe another week before I try to interact? She wants nothing to do with me at all and hides in back of carrier. She was so sweet on the streets and in my sleepless delirium have contemplated letting her back outside. Apologies but desperate in Vegas.
1736EB3B-1680-4E40-BD13-C36565433F31.png