Crate and Water Bowl- Moving Across Country w Cats

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
I am moving from Texas to Michigan with two cats. One cat has asthma and a heart condition, so my plan is to get two large sized carriers that fit on my back seat so I can keep an eye on them. The carrier will need to have a litter pan and water bowl. I can find plenty of carriers that fit the bill, but I need help finding an appropriate water bowl they can have constant access to that won't spill. Please help me if you have any ideas!!
Erin

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of curiosity how long do you plan on getting from one place to another? I have alas no immediate suggestions -unless there are hotel breaks along the way, which might help- but there ARE quite a # of folks who have already completed such journeys on TCS. You might attempt to search their threads out and ask their advice. There are of course guineapig/rabbit water feeders but I don’t know if they work, for cats. Have you asked your vet for advice as well? Be sure your car has a good cooling system in case it gets hot out there! I have read some threads where cat owners do a lot of pullovers to give their cats time to drink or eat or poop while the car is not in motion— it might help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
2-3 days depending on what time my movers leave. Yes, I am getting my car looked over and will make sure AC is A-okay!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi there,
I am moving from Texas to Michigan with two cats. One cat has asthma and a heart condition, so my plan is to get two large sized carriers that fit on my back seat so I can keep an eye on them. The carrier will need to have a litter pan and water bowl. I can find plenty of carriers that fit the bill, but I need help finding an appropriate water bowl they can have constant access to that won't spill. Please help me if you have any ideas!!
Erin
I’ve moved cross country multiple times with three cats (including from Utah to Michigan and Michigan to Colorado). It’s a bit stressful, but as long as you’re prepared, it will all work out!

I don’t know how comfortable your cats are with travel; mine hated it. They just hunkered down and looked miserable (and yowled nonstop for the first hour). I gave them water only when I stopped briefly for gas or a restroom break, but even then, they didn’t drink. They also never used the litter box until we stopped for the night. My parents’ cat, though, was a happy traveler and both drank and peed while traveling. So it depends on how your cats react to long hours in the car.

Summer travel is harder for the human because you can’t stop for more than a few minutes so the car doesn’t get too hot. I always traveled with food and water so I didn’t have to stop for meals.

Watch out for open spaces under beds in hotel rooms. Many are now on platforms instead of frames, but kitties can still slip between the wall and the bed, making them inaccessible in the morning when you want to leave. I always stuffed extra pillows and blankets in all of the openings I could find so avoid what happened one time: They all three got under a king-sized bed, and I couldn’t reach them. I had to dismantle the bed. :lol:

I hope this info is helpful!

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, mine needs the water at all times per his heart medication. I was thinking about getting a pop up kitty play pen for the motel for exactly the reason you described!!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
https://www.chewy.com/midwest-stain...S_ONYfBula7TYbcUdNvx6UJo-Sl-C-oBoCq9EQAvD_BwE

I have had bowls like this for the crates in my car for my dogs. They're nice because they pop into the base that's securely screwed into the side and don't spill or jump around if you hit bumps, etc. If I had to transport my cats, this is what I personally would choose.
They're also very quiet and don't rattle around. I had some buckets that hung on the crates, and they were fine but they did tend to make a rattling noise against the bars that was annoying.

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mom suggested this, but what kind ofncat carrier will this fit to? I don't want to use a dog crate.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My mom suggested this, but what kind ofncat carrier will this fit to? I don't want to use a dog crate.
The best fit would be a medium sized airline style carrier IME.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I drive from Ct to Florida 2 times a year. I can say without a doubt, mine have never ate or drank while the vehicle is moving.

when I stop to get gas or pee, I’ll put a little bowl with food and water in their carrier. They almost never use it. When we get to the hotel, that’s when they drink eat and use the box.