Cranberry Juice or Extract for Cata

anniegus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know that taking cranberry juice or extract can help a bladder infection or bladder irritation in humans. Would cranberry juice or extract harm cats? I have an adult male who has had various urinary irritations. He was eating Hill's Feline C/D but was switched to K/D because the vet determined he had the beginnings of kidney problems. He had a bladder irritation right before I switched him from C/D to K/D which the vet thought was caused by stress. At the time, the vet prescribed a liquid penicillin that seemed to work. Now, about two months after switching him from C/D to K/D, I think my cat has the beginnings of another irritation (the paper towel on the rim of his litter box has a little bit of a pinkish tinge). My cat HATES the vet. He won't cooperate without being sedated and refuses to eat or drink while there. If I could give him something like cranberry juice or extract to soothe or prevent the irritation it would make both me and my cat very happy. Has anyone had any experience with this kind of problem? If you know of something else that would help, I'm open to suggestions. Thank you.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that some brands include cranberry in the ingredience , however feeding directly and how much?? You might want to discuss with your VET.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not heard of any regular vets that agree with the therapy. Natural remedies are supposed to help. There are a few formulas though. All of these would have to be ordered through comanies though. I have not seen a remedy that works straight out of the health food store.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Here's what I found at Petsmart:

F.U.S. by Veterinarian's Best
Urinary tract health is critical to your cat's comfort and well-being. This soft, chewable tablet with real cranberry & herbal extracts helps maintain normal urine acidity. From Veterinarian's Best "Natural Care."

F.U.S. by Veterinarian's Best - Helps provide Feline Urinary Support for a healthier cat
You may want to try that one out (just click on the link and it'll take you to the page). I would consult the vet in any case and get his/her opinion.

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Normal cranberry juice like Ocean Spray has a high sugar content (isn't high fructose corn syrup the first ingredient listed?) which can't be good for kitties. I'd look into the product which Anne posted about.

mofong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats Innova, which is an all natural cat food. No fillers, by-products, colors, etc... It has cranberry in it as an ingredient. You might want to try it as a natural ingredient to your cat's food, that way you don't have to worry about how much to give, or how.

armynelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been doing much research on the subject of UTI's in cats. It seems that years of dry catfood can play a role as well of course as the formation of struvite crystals in males. Years on CDto prevent struvite crystals can cause another crystal type that forms in an acid enviroment, calcium oxylate crystals. Most blockages in males, about 95% are sterile without infection.

If there is a UTI it depends on how bad it is whether or not an antibiotic should be used or whether extract is sufficient. There are other natural .herbal blends too that are used to treat UTIs . Just plugin Natural Treatments for Urinary Tract Infections and options will come up.

Two products I know of with cranberry extract specifically for animals:

Carpon....created by a Dr. Belfield. Plug in Carpon and you can find his site. Carpon is for acidifying the urine naturally.

Cranberry Relief........plugin those words and you will find it. This product is also for acidifying the urine but also includes other ingredients helpful for UTIs.

The sites will tell you what you need to know. Hope this helps.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We have a few cranberry bushes, and some of the neighborhood cats eat the berries right off the bushes. I often wash a handful, and mix them in with Jamie's food. So perhaps you could try fresh berries.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought some cat treats with cranberry at Petsmart, advertised as helping the whole urinary system.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might also ask your vet about adding a glucosamine supplement such as Cosequin or Recovery SA. They can often help soothe the bladder lining. If they don't help, then you could ask your vet about Amitriptyline. I just started my cat on it, but I've talked to a lot of other people who said it can really help. Does your cat eat wet food or dry food? Often, adding water can prevent urinary problems. Even if you're giving your kitty wet food, you could try adding a little more water to it. There is a Yahoo group for FLUTD cats that is very helpful in learning about what works for some cats versus others.

robin2729

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It definitely seems as if there is a connection between dry food and UTI's. I have a 7 1/2 year old Maine Coon who has never gone outside the litter box before as I always keep it clean. However, if I could get some input on this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

We were attacked by a Pittbull  that was sicked on my cat, Makai, and myself. I've suffered permanent nerve damage in both hands as well as RSD in both hands and PTSD. Makai was severely injured, but was strong enough to survive the attack. I won't go into detail about his injuries as most of you are all compassionate animal/cat lovers and it would make anyone sick.

Now, 2 days ago, I went to do my laundry and realized he had urinated on the towel in the basket...Again, he's never gone outside the litter box before. There was no blood. But, as I called around to different vets, they sad it was most likely a UTI.... and I can't afford to take him to the vets because of being disabled, I'm waiting for my disability to be approved.

I've been monitoring him and constantly watching the laundry basket while he lays in it... he loves the laundry basket.. He made it his personal bed.

Prior to the urination on the towel, I knew something was wrong before I found the towel because he was much more vocal and louder than normal.

He lost  most of his teeth in the attack, so when I found Purina's Gentle digestion,  I switched him over from Meow Mix (which  would make him throw up whole pieces of food).. Once on the new Purina, he stopped vomiting. I'm wondering since he couldn't digest the Meow Mix and is now digesting the Purina... could that cause a UTI?

I've been giving him Cranberry juice (which he hates) to try to get some home remedy  since he may or may not have a UTI. But, I've also watered down his wet food to get more fluids in him. I

I've closely monitor his litter box and am seeing no blood... nothing resembling blood (and what was on the towel had no pinkish or any red tint to it) When he does urinate in the litter box, I'm seeing huge clumps like normal... it seems he is urinating just fine

I ordered something off PetMeds and when I spoke to a rep, they said that the med I ordered would get rid of a UTI

Does anyone have any input? I'm so scared something may happen to him... He means so much to me...I would be devastated if I lost him... It. would be like losing a family member. I know this sounds stupid, but I can't stop crying everytime I think or come across what could happen if he gets a blockage.I can't sleep and I have severe panic/anxiety disorder and I'm in a panic.

Again, any input would be greatly appreciated!

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sorry about kitty, I can't imagine what you and kitty must have gone through during that attack. I know how you feel, the anxiety and panic attacks about losing my little one. Just because there is no blood doesn't mean that there is no infection. Can you get him to a vet to have a urine culture done? I hope it is nothing serious.