Coyote visits feeding site at night

marnie47

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to help 2 feral cats in my yard...especially in our very cold weather. The coyote popualtion here has increased to the point that they even come hunting in my yard in broad daylight. I am amazed these 2 cats have survived for several years. The recent subzero weather brought the cats out to sit in the sun against the house. I put some food out which they gobbled up, but the next day I noticed fresh coyote tracks all around the spot where they were feeding. I made sure to pick up the plate or any leftover food before sundown, but now I worry that I will interfere with the cats' success in surviving. I would love some advice from any of you very wise and experienced catsite.com folks as to whether I should leave well enough alone. Years ago I fed an injured raccoon who could barely walk and had settled against the house for protection. He was caught by the coyotes right there where I fed him in the middle of the night...very upsetting.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
i dont know anything about coyotes,i'm assuming theyre as big as dogs and hunt in packs,yeah?

could you build the cats a safe box,high enough off the ground so the coyotes cant reach them and a hole in just big enough for the cats to get in and out?

i'm sorry i cant think of anything else just yet......

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know either - I don't know much about it. A safe box seems like a good idea to me. Is there anyone you can call to ask - like county extension office of the college, state dept of natural resources or even the humane society? Some of these places might be able to give you some ideas. A local farmer might have some knowledge of how to keep animals safe from coyotes.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by marnie47

I want to help 2 feral cats in my yard...especially in our very cold weather. The coyote popualtion here has increased to the point that they even come hunting in my yard in broad daylight. I am amazed these 2 cats have survived for several years. The recent subzero weather brought the cats out to sit in the sun against the house. I put some food out which they gobbled up, but the next day I noticed fresh coyote tracks all around the spot where they were feeding. I made sure to pick up the plate or any leftover food before sundown, but now I worry that I will interfere with the cats' success in surviving. I would love some advice from any of you very wise and experienced catsite.com folks as to whether I should leave well enough alone. Years ago I fed an injured raccoon who could barely walk and had settled against the house for protection. He was caught by the coyotes right there where I fed him in the middle of the night...very upsetting.
Marnie...I would get in touch with some feral cat groups in your area. The problem you are faced with is that by feeding these cats..they become more vunerable to being caught by the coyotes. I'm not sure what relocation options there are in your area...but it may be worth a shot to try to find them another outdoor location that is away from coyote presence (however, it takes at least 2 weeks to relocate ferals...so you need to involve a TNR group).

Katie

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am near you, in NW Illinois. We used to have an outside dog (long story). While I don't want another outside dog, they do keep the coyotes away! Even our house dog, by walking her around the property, she leaves her mark and scent, and I think it helps keep the coyotes away.

We have outside cats, but they have lots of places to get into that are too small for a coyote. We also have horses, and they may scare the coyotes away. Do you have a shed or garage, where you could make a small opening so cats can get in but coyotes cannot? And I wonder if motion detector lights would scare them off at night?

Best of luck. Contacting a TNR group is probably best!

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Coyotes can be a serious problem. are you sure that it IS coyotoe
and not dog or racoon? The prints can be confused ...

There are a few cat
shelter built that cats leap up into, but they cost

One really, really nice one (and the guy does custom jobbies
to, so maybe he'd have something he could whip up that
was high enough that the coyotes could not get to:

http://www.hawkswillwoodwork.com/OUT...FURNITURE.html

Also they sell a feral feeder... (up off the ground etc.)

One called the cat chalet for sale by an off shoot of
a British group:

http://www.robharvey.com/domestic/cat-chalets.htm

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, my absolute last post! This site has a nifty explaination of how
to fence OUT coyotes (fences they can't jump or tunnel under.) So if you trap your ferals, have them inside a kennel or run outside, AND use fencing.

Well you might be okay.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/living/coyotes.htm

Also, last ideas on creating a cat run... this site from Austraila and one from NY shows
some really neat runs made with wire and fencing...

http://www.catnip.com.au/modules.htm

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures.htm

http://www.thecatsden.net/newyork.html

I would say though, if you can't fence, then a Trap and
relocate is in order - and quickly!

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very important that all potential food sources (cat food, trash that's not in sealed trash cans, etc) be removed from the area each day before dark. Nocturnal predators are very dangerous for cats so it is very important to avoid attracting them to the area where the cats are. The best time to feed is usually in the morning. Many people find it works well if they feed the cats as soon as they get up in the morning and take the food away as they are leaving for work. Obviously it would have to be adjusted if you don't have a 9-to-5 job but the basic idea should work for most people.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An old-timers' trick that is disgusting but seems to have worked well for me - is well, communicate in a way that coyotes understand - mark your territory! Having an adult human male is supposed to work best; it probably is a solution for a rural area, but until you get the fence..
And it does work...I used to find coyote scat (another calling card that coyotes use to announce their turf) on my front doorstep! Now, they stay off the main property - raccoons, on the other hand....BTW, raccoons are also a threat to cats & do eat kittens,in addition to being infamous carriers of rabies..