Cox Bridge, Vinton County, Ohio

Deacon Blues

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We were traveling today and stopped to visit the Cox Covered Bridge, in Vinton County, Ohio (built in 1884)....what did we find but a well cared for feral colony....Someone is doing a great job, here. It would be nice if they could find homes...some of the kittens were skittish. Others, would gladly go home with you. I would guess the kittens are 7 or 8 months old. Mom is young, maybe 2...she is very sweet. There were also a couple of older females that appeared to be helping with the kittens....We live significantly way too far away...perhaps someone lives in the area...

8A16BAC8-2D6C-4128-A4AB-B11395AEA770.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! Maybe if we keep posting a response, someone who lives near will see this. It does look like they are well cared for though. Beautiful kitties and they don’t seem too feral so maybe lots of people visit them. The covered bridge may give them some good places to shelter. Thanks for posting this!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Deacon Blues

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
👍 We will try to help.....but we are 6 or 7 hours away.

slsortman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boyfriend and I were just there today too. I live in Columbus, Ohio & am staying at Lake Hope State Park near Zakeski, Ohio. We decided to visit covered bridges in Vinton County and stopped at Cox Bridge just south of routes 93 and 56, about 8 miles north of McArthur. I was shocked to find so many cats living there—we counted 7 or 8 and I think there may be more under the bridge. They did look young, and it’s getting so cold! It’s going to be freezing out soon. Someone has evidently been feeding them because we saw food dishes inside the covered bridge, but there are no houses nearby. As the previous poster said, some were skittish but several came toward me. I was so upset to leave them, it made my stomach hurt. Can feral cats live outside in the winter? I was thinking I would try to call the Vinton County animal shelter or rescue if there is one. I can’t stop thinking about it, which is why I googled “stray cats at Cox Bridge in Vinton County” and found this thread. 💔

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Deacon Blues

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats do quite well outside, even in the cold, as long as they have shelter, food and water. They do seem well cared for. The straw bedding, etc...in addition to the food and a steam nearby for water. Those kittens are not completely feral, and have obviously been around humans. They would make great pets.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm in Ohio and have never been to that county, and it's quite a ways away ( S slsortman I'm about 1.5-2 hours north of you!) but they do look quite healthy, and I'm sure those buildings are great shelters.
I wonder if there are any TNR groups nearby that could at least help control the population?