Covid Linked to Heart Problems in Pets

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I just read this worrying report.

Vets warn of new Covid variant’s possible link to heart problems in pets

Vets are warning of a possible link between a new variant of coronavirus and heart problems in cats and dogs after a increase in pets presenting with myocarditis.

If anyone in your family has had coronavirus and your pets develop heart problems please ask your vet to test for coronavirus. But please don't panic, it seems that the animals treated by this vet are recovering.

With the exception of one cat, which eventually had to be put down, all of the animals are recovering well after medical treatment. Covid has also been associated with heart damage in humans.

4theloveofcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just read this worrying report.

Vets warn of new Covid variant’s possible link to heart problems in pets

Vets are warning of a possible link between a new variant of coronavirus and heart problems in cats and dogs after a increase in pets presenting with myocarditis.

If anyone in your family has had coronavirus and your pets develop heart problems please ask your vet to test for coronavirus. But please don't panic, it seems that the animals treated by this vet are recovering.

With the exception of one cat, which eventually had to be put down, all of the animals are recovering well after medical treatment. Covid has also been associated with heart damage in humans.

Also, some troubling reports from pet parents outside of America who have cheaper/better access to testing. What appeared to be FIP or possibly Calcivirus in a few cats turned out to be sarscov2 upon necropsies. Sadly, it's cost prohibitive for most people in the US.

Even routine testing for active Covid 19 infection in cats and dogs is very rare still.

Strangely enough the viable treatment for FIP is also being touted as a serious anti viral remedy for humans with Covid 19.

I understand that many people don't want to focus on the fact that cats get infected because they know that some will overreact EVEN though there's NO PROOF that any cats, domestic or wild, have ever transmitted it to any humans.

But after reading too many anecdotes and seeing stories of house cats infected and made ill in foreign medical journals, I want to share this alarming info with cat site. I know we have smart readers here who won't be alarmist but will pay attention.

GOOD LUCK!