Covered or uncovered boxes?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I voted no preference. Jamie originally had two boxes, one covered and one uncovered, and he always used the former. That's no longer in use. However, he'll use his box when the cover is off (e.g.,for cleaning). ZsaZsa will use either a covered one or an uncovered one, too, so she has his old uncovered one in the laundry room for the times she feels like hanging out there, and it's really cold outside.

random

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a preference...I'm not sure about my cat. But from his behavior, I'll go with uncovered.

I bought him a covered litterbox. As a result, when he goes, he always faces forward with his head in the opening. And doesn't move the litter around much beyond kicking it back. So that means everything is in one corner and it gets nasty really quick.

oxbabiigiirlxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats...almost 2 years old...We have only had uncovered litterboxes...but i want to get the Booda Dome...but my step-dad says no...he says costs too much or w/e...oh well...i will save up the money to buy it then!! but i think that covered would be better for the smell. My cats tend to scoop out the litter...ALL OVER THE FLOOR...

juniper

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've tried both, and as far as I can tell, none of the cats seem to have a preference, but I, on the other hand, much prefer the covered boxes - Essie likes to fling litter everywhere, which is very messy with an uncovered box, and she will also tip an uncovered box completely over, too.

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most definitely covered. I use Yesterday's News and even tho it does not have dust in the same way some of the cheaper suff does, I do not want my cats (my Siamese and two foster Sphinx) breathing it in. I also follow the rule of one litter box per cat plus one.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I think I voted wrong. I prefer covered, I don't think my cats care b/c all they use is covered. :eek:)

babybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a covered. It's the kind that has this little filter thingy, you turn it upside down and all the poop and clumped up littler falls into this little drawer type thing. It has an egg shaped ent, and Maya looks like a little astronaut in it

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by alainabug

I think my cats like the covered box. I get the impression they like their privacy.

exactly! that's what i think too. Actually I never thought of the fact that my new cat "wouldn't" use a covered box, i just got one and didn't think anything of it!