Coupons

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just wondering how many folks cut coupons for groceries and sue them at the store. I always try to get the Sunday Paper for that purpose. I also print some online coupons. When the local department stores and fast food places send them in the mail, I cut them and put them in my coupon holder in the car. Then I have them if I need them. I don't save like the folks who do extreme couponing, but I do try.:nod:

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to. But then we just started buying most of our food from the big box warehouses and Trader Joe's. We can get groceries cheaper if shopping sales and combining them with coupons, but it's faster and easier to go to a warehouse store and Trader Joe's for the bulk of the groceries, then make an occasional trip to the regular supermarket for anything that's missing. We're both employed right now, so this strategy suits us.

I have a friend who does not work. At first she would subscribe to a service which pointed out all the sales and how to combine the coupons. She'd get $75 of groceries and pay $30. But it cost her several hours a week. At the time this worked for her because she had the time. As the years passed her husband earned more money, and I believe she doesn't do it anymore.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clipping coupons in Canada is not worth it.  Coupons work differently here than they do in many US states. Here there is no cash value. So if a coupon is for a $1.00 off, and the item is 50 cents, you get the item free.  And often there is a limit to the number of coupons you can use.  And we don't have double coupons here.  So it's just not worth it for me to clip out a coupon to save 50 cents.

However, for things like Robacet pain medication, Benadryl or Alleve, if there is a $2.00 off coupon (which there usually is), I will use those because those items are so expensive. Sometimes if I see a good coupon for Pantene shampoo and conditioner and the item is on sale, I'll use the coupon.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering how many folks cut coupons for groceries and sue them at the store. I always try to get the Sunday Paper for that purpose. I also print some online coupons. When the local department stores and fast food places send them in the mail, I cut them and put them in my coupon holder in the car. Then I have them if I need them. I don't save like the folks who do extreme couponing, but I do try.
Your Muffin is beautiful. I try to get all the coupons I can but when I get to the store I don't end up using all of them. I wish I could coupon like they do on TV. and save alot of money.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I am they are similar to canada. 1 off a .50 item does not mean you get .50 credit jsut that item.  Seems all the people on show live in states where you get credit, can preorder in items and no limits ever so that is unreal in many cases.  Grocery will double but I tend to not use many there. I save a LOT on petstuff.  I start getting them now for black Friday or any major sale.  Petsmart and Petco are VERY good at taking huge amounts of coupons or splitting orders(...like many many orders) 

Ebay just limited the sellers so many stopped selling at all on ebay. I go online to get rough idea of what is in the paper and will buy one paper and then go back in if it is worth it.  I have bought 50 papers one sunday as there were to many good coupons to buy on ebay.  I knew it was going to be a good paper and brought boxes with us.  sorted them in driveway and tied the bundles in trunk and put them right out to street.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do.  I don't go crazy with it; but they do help.  The savings adds up.  Last week I managed to save around $17; but it was a big grocery week.  What annoys me is when you have to buy 2 or 3 of something to get any savings.  I'll do that if its something we use regularly; such as jars of tomato sauce.  But otherwise forget it.  Last week I had 2 coupons for batteries; which I needed.  But I only used one (the better coupon) and there was a lady and young man standing there looking too so I offered them the other one; which they excitedly accepted.  I've had people pass on savings like that to me too.  It can really help sometimes! 

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love to clip them when I look at the weekend paper.... then I forget to use them. When I do remember to get my stash out before shopping, they are all expired. *facepalm*

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I use as many coupons as I can find, but only for those things that I use regularly or know I can use.

We don't use a lot of the coupons in Sunday's newspaper; they're for meds, or cosmetics or hair stuff and we don't use a lot of things like that. 

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to clip them when I look at the weekend paper.... then I forget to use them. When I do remember to get my stash out before shopping, they are all expired. *facepalm*
Keep them in your car, then whenever you're shopping they'll be available.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not good about using manufacturers coupons at the grocery store, but I do use the ones the grocery store sends out for "$5 off a $50 order" or something like that. The drug store has an option of sending them right to my store card now, so I don't have to remember, the store coupon automatically gets taken off. There is a local discount store that sends out weekly Internet coupons and I do take advantage of those.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get some good coupons online.  Sometimes I'll find the same one in the paper and that can be helpful!

I go through my coupons every week while making my grocery list.  I make that off a menu I'll make for the week too.  It helps me waste less!  I hate when I have a coupon expire and then a week or two later need it.  So annoying!!  I try to keep on top of some of that stuff!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you....I opened an account!
Oh good. I think you will find it helpful. Our local CVS store gives what they call Extra Bucks each week with certain items listed in their sale ad. It really irritates me if I have several of those and fail to use them. But I did use a three dollar one this week. They had diet Dr. Peppers 4/$5. So I bought four of them for two bucks. I was proud of myself.:clap:

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering how many folks cut coupons for groceries and sue them at the store. I always try to get the Sunday Paper for that purpose. I also print some online coupons. When the local department stores and fast food places send them in the mail, I cut them and put them in my coupon holder in the car. Then I have them if I need them. I don't save like the folks who do extreme couponing, but I do try.
I do that too. I try to remember to use them before they expire. I keep mine in the kitchen, so when I make my grocery list, I can check them & see if there are any I can use at that time.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Blueyedgirl 5946.........

Thank you for the link to the coupons.

We went for groceries on Monday night. Our total bill was almost $160. With the coupons I received from your link and the account that I created and my regular coupons from the newspaper, my net grocery bill was $119. I have not saved that much in a long, long time!

I received a gift box of coupons in my email from signing up at couponsurfer and immediately was able to clip coupons that will save me close to $20 next grocery trip. From cranberries to Perdue to cereals for Rick and Tabby and so on....I will be able to save again.

Thanks so much!

I don't go to CVS all that much, but I really do need to get a card and start shopping there more often, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Blueyedgirl 5946.........

Thank you for the link to the coupons.

We went for groceries on Monday night. Our total bill was almost $160. With the coupons I received from your link and the account that I created and my regular coupons from the newspaper, my net grocery bill was $119. I have not saved that much in a long, long time!

I received a gift box of coupons in my email from signing up at couponsurfer and immediately was able to clip coupons that will save me close to $20 next grocery trip. From cranberries to Perdue to cereals for Rick and Tabby and so on....I will be able to save again.

Thanks so much!

I don't go to CVS all that much, but I really do need to get a card and start shopping there more often, too.
I am glad to got such a savings on your groceries. You really should consider the CVS card too. We get a circular from their store in the Sunday paper with the advertised sales. I take that along with the grocery store ad and mark everything I need. I have learned to go in and buy only what I have marked.:nod:

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Clipping coupons in Canada is not worth it.  Coupons work differently here than they do in many US states. Here there is no cash value. So if a coupon is for a $1.00 off, and the item is 50 cents, you get the item free.  And often there is a limit to the number of coupons you can use.  And we don't have double coupons here.  So it's just not worth it for me to clip out a coupon to save 50 cents.
If you go to Walmart they will give you the full value of the coupon. This is taken right from the Walmart website.

• If coupon value exceeds the price of the item, the excess may be given to the customer as cash or applied toward the basket purchase.
  • There is no limit on the number of coupons per transaction.
I use coupons all the time. I check the coupon match ups on couponing websites and order lots of coupons. I've saved a lot of money. Many, many Facebook pages give out coupons for free items and have helped me save a lot of money. If anyone from Canada wants to know how to coupon and where to get coupons feel free to ask me. I am not an "extreme" couponer but I do use quite a few and have got a lot of stuff free/cheap.