Country Boy Depressed in the Big City?

catty13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, all. Thank you for visiting my thread.
I'm new here, so I hope I don't mess this up!

My fiance and I have been the owners of an incredibly goofy 2 1/2-year old stray, Bean, since he was about 6 months old. He was an extremely affectionate kitten -- would literally run across a room to roll around in someone's lap. Within the past year, however, he's become very distant; he no longer likes to be touched. At all. Any sort of human touching irritates him -- not to the point of fear or aggression, but to the point where he'll shake himself awake and leave a room when approached. He doesn't avoid humans, per se... but he'll constantly dodge attempted pets, and grumpily tolerates being picked up.

I'm confident he hasn't undergone any sort of trauma or abuse in his time with us (he's an indoor-only cat), and I know that kittens often do become less affectionate as they grow into their adulthood, but this seems pretty extreme. He's still fairly playful, but I'm getting concerned he might be experiencing some form of depression. He'll sit in a window literally all day and stare out. He yowls whenever anyone walks near a door and begs to get out. I'm beginning to worry if he feels cooped up; we found Bean wandering the countryside as a baby, but since we live in high-traffic inner-city Chicago, he's never allowed outside.

His "aloof persona" doesn't extend to fellow cats -- he'll occasionally snuggle with his 14-year-old "uncle," Louie. At a vet's advice, we've adopted another stray kitten from our alley in hopes that a youngster he can roughhouse with might cheer him up, and while Bean's been a wonderful big brother to little Inigo, he's still behaving strangely.

Am I just anthropomorphizing? Should I be concerned? If anyone has advice, I'd really appreciate it!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
how long ago did you move into the city? Your cat might need some more time to adjust.

Maybe harness-training might help?

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catty13

Hello, all. Thank you for visiting my thread.
I'm new here, so I hope I don't mess this up!

My fiance and I have been the owners of an incredibly goofy 2 1/2-year old stray, Bean, since he was about 6 months old. He was an extremely affectionate kitten -- would literally run across a room to roll around in someone's lap. Within the past year, however, he's become very distant; he no longer likes to be touched. At all. Any sort of human touching irritates him -- not to the point of fear or aggression, but to the point where he'll shake himself awake and leave a room when approached. He doesn't avoid humans, per se... but he'll constantly dodge attempted pets, and grumpily tolerates being picked up.

I'm confident he hasn't undergone any sort of trauma or abuse in his time with us (he's an indoor-only cat), and I know that kittens often do become less affectionate as they grow into their adulthood, but this seems pretty extreme. He's still fairly playful, but I'm getting concerned he might be experiencing some form of depression. He'll sit in a window literally all day and stare out. He yowls whenever anyone walks near a door and begs to get out. I'm beginning to worry if he feels cooped up; we found Bean wandering the countryside as a baby, but since we live in high-traffic inner-city Chicago, he's never allowed outside.

His "aloof persona" doesn't extend to fellow cats -- he'll occasionally snuggle with his 14-year-old "uncle," Louie. At a vet's advice, we've adopted another stray kitten from our alley in hopes that a youngster he can roughhouse with might cheer him up, and while Bean's been a wonderful big brother to little Inigo, he's still behaving strangely.

Am I just anthropomorphizing? Should I be concerned? If anyone has advice, I'd really appreciate it!
As you know I am sure cats are creature's of habit. So the environmental change alone is likely stressing the cat out to a point. How long has the cat been in his new location?

Was this cat allowed outside in his old location? If so was he allowed to roam? I am not saying you can let him roam in his present location but letting him out might help. That might need to be on a harness like Draco said.

What I find telling is the cat is always sitting on the window sill or wants to go outside when a door is opened. So I would assume the change in disposition is due to him feeling confined. Since he was previously allowed outside whenever he wanted to do so I assume. Is it possible you could build him an outdoor enclosure?

Just my two cents keep that in mind, but my two indoor/outdoor cats Momma and Shadow live on a very busy road and have never had a problem. So maybe your boy will be the same
?

Hope this made sense. If not I would be glad to rephrase.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catty13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the replies!

He's lived in the same location since we first took him home as a kitten, and originally settled right in; Bean never had a problem until the past year and it began quite suddenly, but I'm wondering if that might have something to do with his increased adult size. (He is neutered, so I doubt it's horomone-driven.) I just feel awful watching the poor guy sit there! But between the generally nasty downtown neighborhood we live in and the feral colony next door, I don't feel comfortable letting him roam on his lonesome (FIV threat and all that).

I'll try picking up a harness and seeing how he takes to it -- he's not a troublemaker, so hopefully he won't have problems. Short daily walks around the block could be an option. If so, looks like I might be more of a dog owner than I thought!

presto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adopted a "feral" kitten (kitten's don't have much time to be feral), and she will not allow ANY touching. She's fantastic with the other cats though. She wrestles, stalks, chases, etc.., so there's really no issue with her.

I believe that cats can be ideal indoor pets, however, they do need an environmenta that they can fully exploit, i.e., they are climbers, and need to be able to access high places. Do you have any cat trees? Is your home set up so that the cats can get high up on bookcases, shelving, etc..? In order to feel confident in their environment, cats need to observe from above. A cat that stays under the bed, or under furniture because it can't access anything high up will lose confidence, and WILL become shy and possibly depressed.

I live in a small one-bedroom apartment in NYC. Of course the cats can NEVER go out. So, I've created a great indoor environment for them. I have two seven foot cat trees (one in each room). In the living room, the top shelf of the tree abuts the top of my corner bookcase (which I've topped with a blanket). They love it up there! There's a small loft area in my galley kitchen. I've installed steps in the wall so they can get up there. The cats are almost always up high. To me this means they are confident. Unlike dogs, a cat can exploit all three dimensions of a space. It is up to us to accomodate them.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Do this little by little. I think you'll see that when Bean can start to climb around, he'll be happier, and the exercise will do him good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catty13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, all, for the helpful suggestions!

My fiance built a little jungle-gym for our our old-man cat, Louie, when we first moved in here (he's a bit of a squirrely bloke and enjoys having a place up high to "spy" on lesser life forms)... but it seems to have turned into a flophouse! When we brought Bean home as a baby, he initially had a ball with it, but now mostly ignores the thing or sleeps on it. Maybe there's something we can do to encourage him to do some climbing again, as well? (If I'm lucky, the new kitten will wrestle him back into his old self. He's already done more romping in the past few days than I've seen from him in months. -fingers crossed-)

Do you think rearranging/adding to the tree might help it look more appealing again? Maybe something entirely new?

I'm really hoping these ideas work their magic! A relative with a large, fenced backyard has offered to care for him if all else fails, and I suppose I'll have to start considering it if his unhappiness persists, but I'd hate to give Bean up! I really adore him, and I'm sure the other cats would miss him terribly as well.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Do you think rearranging/adding to the tree might help it look more appealing again? Maybe something entirely new?
Yes those type of changes are very likely to help. Just try changing around the climbing structure/tree. Or add more to the climbing structure/tree. If you can do both (add more and change it around) that would be great, IMHO.

I'm really hoping these ideas work their magic! A relative with a large, fenced backyard has offered to care for him if all else fails, and I suppose I'll have to start considering it if his unhappiness persists, but I'd hate to give Bean up! I really adore him, and I'm sure the other cats would miss him terribly as well.
I would say wait and see if all the changes/additions to your homes vertical space help him cope before you even think of re-homing him. But I think it is great you love your cat enough to sacrifice your happiness for his