Counter Surfing

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Wendel is a serious counter-surfer and I'm looking for any suggestions to keep him off.

We chase him off when we're home, try to leave the counters clear (and thus boring) and tried putting tin foil up there, but he doesn't care - just jumps up and wanders around and it's maddening...also because he walks on the stove

Any suggestions on how to keep the big guy off? I can't close off my kitchen and there's a good 8hr span of time that neither DH or I are home, so any suggestions are more than welcome

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard to try the plastic mats with the little bumps on the back, double sided tape, or placing cans with pennies along the edge. Unfortunately for me, none of these worked for me. I've given up for the time being but plan on investing in a Ssscat soon to see if that works.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with LuvMyParker, those are the best suggestions. Also, I believe chasing him off the counter might be seen as a game to him. I know my kitten thinks it's a game whenever I move him away from my computer monitor, and will jump right back on my desk.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try the plastic rug protectors with the little plastic nubs on them. Cut them to the size of your counters and turn them upside down (w/ nubs up). Jumping on them will not be a pleasant experience and should deter the cat.

We used to line the counter with empty milk jugs filled with a few beans. When Hannah would jump up on the counter, she'd bump into the jugs and the sound would startle her enough to make her jump down. Not to mention all the racket the jugs would make falling over!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For a month we filled the counter with stuff from the cupboards - cleared it when we needed to us. But there was nowhere to jump up, and after that they gave up.

But I like the prickly back of the rug protector idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions.

We're going to try the nobby plastic mat tonight since we had some left from when we used it to convince Freya not to wreck the carpet under the bedroom door when she was a kitten.
I hadn't even thought of trying it on the counters.

The cans of beans are next!

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully that works out well for you. Buddy walked on the back of the mat like it wasn't even there.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's far easier to just wipe down surfaces before use
There are also covers available for most kinds of cook tops, though I just fill a sacepan with water and place it back on the warm element after use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuvMyParker

Hopefully that works out well for you. Buddy walked on the back of the mat like it wasn't even there.
That's what Freya used to do.

Well, he jumped up on it once last night but I haven't heard him up there since...

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just give up personally.

You can't know with 100% certainty that kitty didn't step in poo and then jump on the counter when you weren't there, so its good practice to have anti-bacterial wipes ready anyway and cutting boards put away.

And when you are cooking, you are there to keep em out of danger and shoo if necessary.

*shrugs*

Otherwise, my favorite tool is definitely the SSSCAT. It just works.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm about to give up also. Nora is trained not to jump on the counters, but just when we are around. We've found evidence multiple times that she has got up on the counters when we are asleep or out of the house. LOL So, what's the point?? haha

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave up a long time ago. Put anything dangerous or that you don't want them to get into away and wipe the counters down before you make food.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We trained our kitties not to get on the counters. It is a long process, but consistency is the key. Do they 100% stay off the counters? No, but they're not living on them either. Callie never got on the counters. Hannah will jump up every now and again. Tumbles is clueless about them!
They also are not allowed on the dining room table.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

We trained our kitties...Do they 100% stay off the counters? No, but they're not living on them either. They also are not allowed on the dining room table.
This is my plan too. I once thought I had trained her and was so proud of both of us but boy was I wrong. However, she isn't as you say always living up there. Good way to put it I suppose.
The SSS cat helped.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Counters and table are a NO NO here as well. If I catch someone on the counter I make a lot of noise, clapping hands, hollering...they figure it out. I haven't caught (notice I say caught) anyone on the counters or table for at least a year. When they first started testing the counters out I would put down strips of double sided tape at night and when we left the house. They absolutely hated that and stopped. Now I am sure that someone probably gets up there from time to time but I just make sure to wipe the counters and tables down.