Couldn't afford emergency vet bill last night for c-section.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread really broke my heart. It really is crushing to see people who are having a difficult time financially blame themselves when they have given everything they have, and then some to try to save their beloved pet.

You mentioned that, because of your experience you have lost faith in people. I can say without a doubt that people like you, Ginny and so many others on this site that have restored my faith in humanity. You did everything you possibly could have, including risking your own well-being, safety and comfort to try to save your beloved pet. I have so much respect for you, and I know that during the time you had with your Nova, she was loved and cherished. At the end that is the most importing thing in life, to know that you were loved.

I am so  sorry, for your loss

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH, Darlin, I am so sorry this happened to you.  From your posts it is evident that you are a responsible and devoted pet owner.  In this economy, any one could be faced with the issues you have had, and you did your very best for all of your animals.  Nova was a little beauty, and basked in your love for four years, rather than ending up on the short list for euthanasia at a high kill shelter, or scrabbling for existence as a dumped stray on a mean street somewhere.  She knows she was loved, and that you did everty thing that you could.   You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers, and will remain there for a while.

In general, I am aghast at the prices charged by most emergency vet clinics.  I sometimes feel that they are taking advantage of people in their most stressed moments.  I don't understand why a surgery costs $400 at 9am and $3000 at midnight.  There is something wrong there. 

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss.  Please try not to blame yourself.  Nova knows that you loved her.  

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

OH, Darlin, I am so sorry this happened to you.  From your posts it is evident that you are a responsible and devoted pet owner.  In this economy, any one could be faced with the issues you have had, and you did your very best for all of your animals.  Nova was a little beauty, and basked in your love for four years, rather than ending up on the short list for euthanasia at a high kill shelter, or scrabbling for existence as a dumped stray on a mean street somewhere.  She knows she was loved, and that you did everty thing that you could.   You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers, and will remain there for a while.

In general, I am aghast at the prices charged by most emergency vet clinics.  I sometimes feel that they are taking advantage of people in their most stressed moments.  I don't understand why a surgery costs $400 at 9am and $3000 at midnight.  There is something wrong there. 
And I can remember where there was no such thing. She does deserve some answers as to why they recommend euthanasia instead of doing some triage and telling them she had to see a regular vet in the morning.  On each procedure for Kitten we were given not just the estimate but a complete breakdown. Going back over it after none of the prices were outrageous. Higher yes. There may have been some complications with Nova that would mean a higher price at a regular vet.  400 dollars is the min charge for a surgery without complications or medical aid the kittens might need to keep them alive. ERs have to keep staff there needed or not. Your regular vet can schedule to have someone come in. There is a great disparity between the numbers but we don't know why. I hope the OP gets the answers she needs. It's as important as anything else in working through the loss to at least know why.

beccalouiseeee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so so sorry for your loss but I want you to know that this isn't your fault at all. I can completely agree with you regarding money, my little kitten lucky passed away on Sunday after the vet wanted to charge us £200 just to see her then said if she needed any other treatment of to be put down it would cost more. Unfortunately lucky died before I could even make it to the vets but I was disgusted by how much money it would charge just to have them called out, I didn't have that kind of money but I had to agree to pay it even if that meant having to take extra hours at work for bills etc. Never think it's your fault because you couldn't afford something! She would have been so loved whilst she was here and I can tell that. I'm currently mending my own broken heart from my loss so I completely feel your pain. You can't blame yourself[emoji]128150[/emoji] I hope you can find peace and realise this wasn't your fault X

fishandbones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. Death comes in the most unpredictable way. Just know your beautiful cat loves you. Omg she was so pretty :) no one can predict what will happen unfortunately and having 4 thousand dollars for a c section is crazy! I am studying to be a nurse practitioner and that is one of the things I'll be doing in the future. I know they are costly however I feel that price is insane. My suggestion is getting CARECREDIT. I have it and I have a good credit line that I use for my pets in case of emergency. Usually a pet place will charge it and give you 0 interested for a year or even 24 months. Look into it. Many women use it for plastic surgery lol but I use it for my pets just in case.