Could use some advice new kitten/older cat.

xeoneex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've read some threads here and there about new/old introduction and whatnot but I figure to ask about my particular situation.

We had to put our oldest down to sleep due to complications from thyroidism about a month and a half ago.  My next oldest, Matty, seemed perfectly fine but we were rather down and upset so we decided to get a new kitten.  We have always been used to 2 cats and it doesn't feel the same.  Well our now oldest, Matty, is now a grumpy butt since the new kitten.  We kinda screwed up the introduction bit, after the first few days my kitten would rocket out of my room whenever I opened the door, I almost closed the door on her a couple times she ran out so fast.  Anyway some of the times she got out she ran right up to our older cat and of course Matty would hiss scream make a fuss and swat at the kitten.  After several weeks of both getting over seperate cat colds, we decided to let the litlte one roam the house and have been doing so for the past few weeks.  While Matty mostly sits in one of her spots and just watches, occasionally the kitten will initiate play with Matty and cause her to be very PO'ed to say the least.  We have tried petting Matty under these circumstances only to insight irritation and frustration for Matty and will walk away, sometimes though the kitten will run at her and Matty will swat, sometimes relentlessly at the kitten.  She is front declawed, a decision is sorely regret as I don't condone declawing, so she's in no danger of getting scratched, and has shown no sign of biting.  But my concern is she's getting overly stressed out.  I don't know if this is the case though cause there are times when the kitten is safely in my room, my Matty will do her normal routine, like in the mornings she likes to climb on the bathroom sink wait for me or my mother to go into the bathroom and drink from the sink, usually from my hands.  She is has a motor on her, and she's always purring like that when the kitten isn't around.  There have been a few times when the 2 were near each other and no incident, but most of the time I'll walk into the room and walk near them and my Matty will get irritated as if she's mad at ME for bringing the kitten home.  I spoke to my vet who said these types of things could take monthes and sometmes up to a year for the older to get used to the younger.  I had no issue when my Matty was a kitten with our late cat.  I'm only worried I put too much stress on my baby and she's going to hate me and the kitten indefinatly.  I don't want to give up the kitten but I don't want to hurt my older cat.  My worry that the kitten will never be tolerated, she doesn't have to love or like my kitten but i would love for her to be tolerated, and this will be an, either she goes or I go, scenario.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
This sounds very similar to a family member's situation: having just added a kitten with an older resident cat who's not too impressed. One thing they found helps is to physically scoop up the kitten and move her away when she's clearly stressing out the older cat. The older cat feels better because people are intervening and the kitten is re-directed to something more appropriate to play with. (and since she's a kitten, she promptly forgets about the older cat).

You could try distracting the kitten with a toy when it does its mad dash at Matty. Also, a tall cat tree or some vertical space for Matty to go to get away from the kitten may also help. Chances are Matty will adjust eventually, as the kitten grows and calms down.

rubyr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Matty is not mad at you, she just feels uncertain. It sounds like the kitten is quite demanding, but try to give Matty lots of attention. I would also support the recommendation of the cat tree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xeoneex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well things aren't much better, I have tried intervening but the kitten is getting bolder.  I have been using a spray bottle, but I'm not sure if that is working or is a good idea.  As far as the cat tree I can't do that unfortunatly.  Matty has arthritis issues in her left rear leg, and while I took her for laser soothing treatment awhile back, she's not agile and can be rather clumsy. Aside from the arthritis she never liked cat tree's.  We bought her one awhile back and she never used it.  She's not much of a climber type cat.  I've read there are 2 types of cats, ground cats and tree cats.  My happens to be a ground cat.  Besides,  I bought a cat tree for the kitten and we put it out a few times before a few weeks ago and she never showed much interest in it.  She doesn't play much anymore she just likes to eat sleep poop and be queen of her surroundings,  I really am wondering if this was a dumb move on my part introducing a new kitten into the mix.  At some point I even harbored ideas of getting a second kitten for Chloe so she wouldn't be so rambunctious.  I've had issues with her teething and trying to redirect her and all that, spoke to a few people and had mixed opinions.  I'm just not sure what to do at this time.  I am fairly certain its an even dumber move getting a second kitten so I'm not going to go that route.  Chloe is a handful as it is.  And I think Matty is pissed with me in particular, when she's with my mother she doesn't growl as much, but she seems to growl and get all pissy when i'm around.  I've even tried to show Matty I'm on her side and not just pampering the kitten all the time.  But whenever I try to be nice to Matty she starts growling and getting all mad.  And sometimes it even provokes her to walk towards the kitten hiss, growl, and even bat at her.  I usually take the kitten into the other room, and sometimes using the spray bottle but I get all upset like I'm punishing the kitten for no reason.  I'm at my wits end with all of this and I don't really know if this will get better.  I hate the thought of giving up the kitten but...

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are in a difficult situation, not all of it from your own making. You might have to go back a couple of steps and start the introduction process all over again, separating them, giving treats to both but on exchanged bedding etc. There is obviously nothing you can do about the declawing, but that may be making Matty feel more vulnerable as she can't defend herself. And I agree with your instinct that the spray bottle is not a good idea - it will only work while you are there and will just make the cat dislike your presence. I have found that it is usually best to avoid jealousy by removing the aggressor quickly from the scene and then making a fuss of the other cat. Let her know that you are a 'safe place' by holding her safe, letting her on your lap as often as possible and playing with the kitten when she is not around. Her world is upside down and she needs a lot of reassurance. The kitten will probably hardly notice this extra attention - it is too busy being a kitten, but provide lots of toys and distractions. It may take awhile, but I am sure you will get there.

xeoneex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The bedding bit doesn't work, my older cat doesn't use bedding, never really did.  Also she doesn't like being held and petting her seems to make her upset.  Although there ARE times when I can do this, she has a kind of tradition, sometimes in the mornings when I go into the bathroom or near it, she's sitting on the counter next to the sink, she likes to drink from my hand while the water is running etc...  She purrs, and believe me she has a motor on her, and isn't all mad.  This is of course short lived to the fact that once I go back to the kitten or she's done drinking she goes back to lazing about the house.  I'm wondering too if I shouldn't let the kitten out into the rest of the house maybe once a day for an hour or so, or shorter maybe?  As for the spray bottle, what do I do when kitten is jumping on dining room table, etc...?

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please don't give up, there IS hope believe me.
Your situation sounds very similar to the situation we were in a couple of years ago. I have an older cat who is very loving but quite reserved and when we introduced our new kitten she was terrified. It broke my heart to see her like it. We did all the introductions properly by keeping the kitten in a separate room and did scent swapping and then feeding them together through a crack in the door and everything went so well. After a couple of weeks we started to let the kitten out for short supervised periods BUT she was sooo confident and she used to run straight for my older cat (just to play) but my older cat couldn't handle it and would hiss, swat and then run and hide. We thought ok let's start thinking like a cat! We made sure our older cat could get up high, away from the kitten and observe in safety. We would give her tasty treats when the kitten was around so she would associate the kitten with good things. I found that talking to her all the time in a soothing voice really helped too BUT the times when they came face to face and the older cat started to become a little stressed I would never try to comfort her as I found this made her worse. I would let her go and have some time out to calm down on her own and then we would start again when she decided she was ready. After a while my older cat would stick around and be near the kitten, there was hissing and swatting (no actual fighting) and I think she realised that that the kitten wasn't so bad after all. There were times when my older cat would get fed up with the kitten and pin her down but there was never any claws or noise, it was more like, ok I have had enough now go away! Sometimes you do have to let them just get on with it, as long as there are no flat ears, growling and puffed up fur they should be fine. My two get along fine now, they don't sleep together or groom one another but they do play together all the time. The spray bottle, in my opinion will not work and will only make your cat afraid of you.
Give it time and things will work out I'm sure. Even if they don't become best buddies they should be able to at least coexist.
Good luck and keep us posted.:D

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
How old is Matty?

It is possible that adding another kitten with a similar disposition to Chloe could benefit. It would keep Chloe occupied and allow Matty to do her own thing.

In my opinion, bringing in 1 kitten when you have a senior cat simply isn't a good idea. Kittens want to run, play, jump, etc. If their only playmate is an arthritic senior, this just isn't going to work well (again my opinion.) But, if there is another playmate, the kittens are more likely to tire each other out and are less likely to seek out the senior for interaction.

Last edited:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 As for the spray bottle, what do I do when kitten is jumping on dining room table, etc...?
Try clapping you hands very loudly and shout 'no!!' Then lift her off as quick as you can. After a little while the clapping should be enough and then eventually she will stop.

xeoneex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your situation sounds very similar to the situation we were in a couple of years ago. I have an older cat who is very loving but quite reserved and when we introduced our new kitten she was terrified. It broke my heart to see her like it. We did all the introductions properly by keeping the kitten in a separate room and did scent swapping and then feeding them together through a crack in the door and everything went so well. After a couple of weeks we started to let the kitten out for short supervised periods BUT she was sooo confident and she used to run straight for my older cat (just to play) but my older cat couldn't handle it and would hiss, swat and then run and hide. We thought ok let's start thinking like a cat! We made sure our older cat could get up high, away from the kitten and observe in safety. We would give her tasty treats when the kitten was around so she would associate the kitten with good things. I found that talking to her all the time in a soothing voice really helped too BUT the times when they came face to face and the older cat started to become a little stressed I would never try to comfort her as I found this made her worse. I would let her go and have some time out to calm down on her own and then we would start again when she decided she was ready. After a while my older cat would stick around and be near the kitten, there was hissing and swatting (no actual fighting) and I think she realised that that the kitten wasn't so bad after all. There were times when my older cat would get fed up with the kitten and pin her down but there was never any claws or noise, it was more like, ok I have had enough now go away! Sometimes you do have to let them just get on with it, as long as there are no flat ears, growling and puffed up fur they should be fine. My two get along fine now, they don't sleep together or groom one another but they do play together all the time. The spray bottle, in my opinion will not work and will only make your cat afraid of you.
Give it time and things will work out I'm sure. Even if they don't become best buddies they should be able to at least coexist.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Well some of the things I have noticed, when kitten is doing her own thing after I bring her out, as long as she doesn't make a bee-line for Matty, Matty seems to not be upset.  I've noticed times when they would sit on our coffee table in the living room and they would be sitting there not doing anything.  And thats the thing Matty would just sit there, but then either I came in, or the kitten would want attention/play and then either start to pester Matty's tail or Matty would simply get annoyed.  I do think I made a mistake letting Chloe stay out too long.  I let her out a few times in the day, sometimes long periods of time when they aren't actually bickering, but most of the time when Matty starts getting irritated I intervene, or take the kitten back into the room.  I figure this is a good sign but I'm just worried i'm over stressing Matty and I'm hurting her.
How old is Matty?

It is possible that adding another kitten with a similar disposition to Chloe could benefit. It would keep Chloe occupied and allow Matty to do her own thing.

In my opinion, bringing in 1 kitten when you have a senior cat simply isn't a good idea. Kittens want to run, play, jump, etc. If their only playmate is an arthritic senior, this just isn't going to work well (again my opinion.) But, if there is another playmate, the kittens are more likely to tire each other out and are less likely to seek out the senior for interaction.
Matty is about 11 years old.  I've talked to quite a few people, one of the receptionists at our vet said I just need to play more with the kitten but this is a problem as kitty likes to play bite me, sometimes hard.  And in the middle of the night she will jump onto my covers and bite at my feet atop them keeping me up, though lately she hasn't been doing it as much possibly because I've been letting her run around the rest of the house for longer periods of time. Another problem is, if we do decide to get a 2nd kitten I would want it in another room till I can properly introduce the newest kitten to the first kitten and that poses a huge issue.  When my cat was sick from a nasty cold, I was thinking of keeping her in my room and letting the little one have access the rest of the house.  Well kitty didn't take to it at all.  After a few hours kitty wanted back into her safe room.  She wouldn't stop crying and I didn't have the heart to keep it from her so I switched out litter, food etc... and went back the way it was.  I do have access to my mothers room, but I can tell you my mother is a light sleeper and a kitten would not be that great for her.  I do want the second kitten though for my first so they have play mates but.  I'm not sure if thats the right option either.
Try clapping you hands very loudly and shout 'no!!' Then lift her off as quick as you can. After a little while the clapping should be enough and then eventually she will stop.
Matty tends to associate what I do against her as when I do things like that, I've noticed she gets upset, ears down tail back etc... 

xeoneex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow I have NO idea what happened with the quotes but I can't fix it haha.