Could this be nearing the end of the waiting

kedimama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
Little bit of background, I took in a stray cat, she wasn't very old and it is my first time as a cat owner. Planned to get her spayed, unfortunately she had an accident and her back leg was injured which put of the spaying as the vet said she needed time to recover from it. As she recovered and it was looking like they would spay her, we discovered she was pregnant, guessing it happened around the end of January.

She has been fine with her pregnancy, read so much on here and the internet, been feeding her kitten food, both wet and dry, and has shown some of the various stages that I have read about.
Could see and feel the kittens moving for more than the last two weeks, and in the last 3 days that has almost stopped and she is a lot more hard and ball like in the belly. She is constantly wanting me with her, and this is my 3rd night up with her. She has been very restless, lots of cleaning herself. Tonight there has been some leakage from her nibbles, and it was a little sticky, and there seems to be some intermittent ripple type movement, not the same as when the kittens where moving, so wondering if she is in the early stages of labour.

I have everything suggested here ready, apart from the kitten milk replacement, hoping our vet will have some tomorrow, in a semi rural area so not very well stocked on these kinds of things, but I could probably get the goats milk if needed.

I have set up various nesting options for her, but she hasn't been very interested in any of them, so will wait and see if she goes to any of them at the last minute.

It is very exciting for us, and like others have said this waiting is so hard.

I will make sure she is kept in after the birth, and that she and all the kittens will be spayed/neutered. There are possible options of homes for the new borns, but if need be they will stay with us, until the right home is found, and if that doesn't happen then they will just become part of our family.

Sorry for the long post, this site has some much information and support it has helped me so much just by reading, so wanted to become a part of the community.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is lovely! Thank you for giving her a proper home!

I also appreciate that you have done your homework and are prepared! You've truly readied everything! Do get the KMR or goat's milk, just in case, and do you have a heating source, like heating pad or water bottle, or rice sock?

It does sound like she is in early stage one labor, or at least in pre-labor. You are getting very close now. She will likely choose her nest at the last minute.

Keep us posted on this same thread, and welcome! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you've joined our community! :wavey:
Kedi is a beautiful girl and so lucky to have found you!

You are at the right place for support and help through this and we will all be anxiously awaiting the arrival of Kedi's kittens right along with you :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kedimama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

Thank you for the welcome, I do have a heat pad available, plus the rice in a sock ready like to have a choice of which will be best to use depending on how many babies she has. Straight on the case in the morning re kitten milk, and hoping that everything goes well for her she is such a sweet girl and think she will be a great mommy as she has always loved grooming the dogs hahaha. Which by the way are separated from her so that she can totally relax.

kedimama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great news managed to get hold of some kitten replacement milk, so my kit is complete. Kedi seems to have settled back down again since last night, she is still doing a lot of wandering around but the little rippling seems to have stopped. I really thought we where on the start of something last night but it seems not, I understand now how others have felt at this stage of the waiting game. Here is another picture, perhaps you can see her size a little better in this one.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's close! Glad you were able to get KMR. You can give mom a dish a day after she delivers. She'll need the extra calcium. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

kedimama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still no sign of any active labour, but today when she was sleeping she was laying on her back and both her back legs where kind of shaking, a bit like a spasm, she was not in any pain or distress in fact she just slept through it, is this normal and an indication of anything?

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a lovely cat!  i'm in a waiting game, too, but these people on the forum and keeping me slightly sane with my 10000 questions

michellewallis1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's a fab site isn't it Wendy! So glad I found it. Nice to find people who love there cats as much as I do. I'm waiting to lol. She is a gorgeous cat kedimama :) looks very pregnant but still lovely and content x

kedimama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kedi was in and out of her nesting box last, not for long but doing quite a bit of rearranging, 20 minutes ago she went in there and is lying down, this is a first. Do you think she is close now?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I think she is within 24-48 hours of labor starting. Her instincts are kicking in.

Last edited:

rescuedfamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everything that you described sounds like she is starting to get very close! Of course cats tend to have their own agenda for when things need to start moving, but probably in the next day or two!

kedimama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh thank you for your replies, she is still in there and sleeping, she has been slowly eating less and less for the last 3 days. I am both excited and nervous, and she definitely has her own timeframe :lol3:

kedimama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The wait is over, I think, she has had 3 babies, but not sure if she still has one more inside, there is no outward sign of her being in labour, but after the 3rd one was born it looked like one was still there. The last one was born 5 hours ago, and mum is relaxed, no straining and is taking care of her babies, how long can they go if they do have another one to come?

buddy keeper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK. I was a veterinary technician for 15 yrs. KMR is good, but not ideal, especially if you got have Mom and she is lactating. If the last kitten is viable you need to pro active keep the siblings away long enough during feedinding so BeeBeeKitty has some nipple time.
My brotherhad a cat that had 3 kittens. About 20 hours later an undifferentiated tissue. 3 days later Bee Bee Kitty was born. Congratulations

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The wait is over, I think, she has had 3 babies, but not sure if she still has one more inside, there is no outward sign of her being in labour, but after the 3rd one was born it looked like one was still there. The last one was born 5 hours ago, and mum is relaxed, no straining and is taking care of her babies, how long can they go if they do have another one to come?
It may take time!  As long momma is OK, ot troubles you can see, as here, do observe, but you can wait and see.

This advice is if she is just swollen there inside - quite common, and even if you KNOW there are kittens left inside.  It may even take days before it resolves.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK. I was a veterinary technician for 15 yrs. KMR is good, but not ideal, especially if you got have Mom and she is lactating. If the last kitten is viable you need to pro active keep the siblings away long enough during feedinding so BeeBeeKitty has some nipple time.
My brotherhad a cat that had 3 kittens. About 20 hours later an undifferentiated tissue. 3 days later Bee Bee Kitty was born. Congratulations
Yes, if momma is available with milk and everything, use her as much as possible.  Especielly for the weak ones.

But if they dont gain although they do have priority with the mom, you must give extra, KMR or goat milk.