Could Someone Please Help An Ignorant Computer "Dummy"?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jarvis

Congratz Kittkatt! I was sad to see you were still having problems! But now you've figured it out, I better see LOTS of those pretty kitties!!!
You will!
As soon as I get some decent ones taken and transferred onto a disc! I can do that now - now that we have a computer!

I have thousands of good pics available, but they were all taken and developed BEFORE the computer days! Oh, well...

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jarvis

Oh...this means, to open the internet and go to TCS as usual, then when you're there, hit the "bar in box" at the top right of your screen (not the 2 boxes, not the 'X', but the bar). This will minimize your TCS screen. Then, hit the internet button again, opening another box w/the internet (oter than the TCS one)...now go to Photobucket.

So now you have 2 internet screens, one with TCS, one with PhotoBucket
Gottcha! (I think!). I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Kitt, don't feel stupid -- it took me forever to work it out, and I finally had to enlist the help of another member who's a whiz at these things. Inevitably, instructions are written by people who understand the system, and it's sometimes hard for them to see how the uninitiated might read the directions differently. Also, different rules apply for non-paying members than for premium. It really is confusing!
It certainly makes me feel better knowing that I'm not the only one who's computer illiterate!

I've always had a heck of a time trying to understand written instructions - such as when you're trying to decipher a manual on how to set up a DVD player or something similar!
I'm much better at hands-on learning!
I usually figure stuff out, after messing around w/ it for awhile (and w/ the help of fine people, such as y'all!).

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Y'know, it occurs to me -- I used to be confused about the two ways of "sizing" an image, and that might be your problem, too. Just in case:

When you save your image, you specify the physical size you want -- 4 inches by 6 inches or whatever. But you also have to specify the resolution you want, as in 72, 150, etc. If you leave it set at anything higher than 72, the system will often "force" the resolution to 72 by making the picture physically larger, if you see what I mean.

So if your pictures are coming out too big, you might check what resolution you saved them at.
HUH??

Give me time - I'll learn!

~KK~

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
You should be able to resize the photo yourself. Go into Photobucket and click on the edit link above the picture.

Click on the drop down by resize.

Select Message Board or smaller

You can also change your options when you upload so they are resized everytime you upload.

Click on the options link.

Select the size you want and click save.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

You should be able to resize the photo yourself. Go into Photobucket and click on the edit link above the picture.
I did resize it in Photobucket to the forum format, which is why i don't understand why it's still so huge!
But I'll check it out again.

Thanks for the detailed tips!

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just went into photobucket to resize the pic, and it's still the same size. I'm at a loss.

But I'll keep trying..

~KK~

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you clicking save after resizing (dumb question, I know)

Also once you resize, you need to log out of photobucket and log back in sometimes for the changes to appear

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
You did resize it
(I saw it in the 1st page of the thread). Try icklemiss21's suggestion about logging out and back into Photobucket.

Also, maybe you need to clear your cache of your browser to see it.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Are you clicking save after resizing
Yes Ma'am, I sure am!

(dumb question, I know)
Not so dumb, when you're knew at this and still learning!

Also once you resize, you need to log out of photobucket and log back in sometimes for the changes to appear
THAT, I didn't know!
I'll log back into Photobucket, and see what happens!
Thanks!!

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You did resize it
(I saw it in the 1st page of the thread). Try icklemiss21's suggestion about logging out and back into Photobucket.
HUH??

I just took a peek to double-check, and the size still looks the same to me!

~KK~

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

HUH??

I just took a peek to double-check, and the size still looks the same to me!

~KK~
What browser are you using (Internet Explorer, Firefox)?

And find out what version by selecting from the main menu, Help, About Internet Explorer.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What browser are you using (Internet Explorer, Firefox)?

And find out what version by selecting from the main menu, Help, About Internet Explorer.
It's Internet Explorer, and the version is a long series of numbers that starts w/ a 6.0.2900

And I just logged on & off from Photobucket, but the size still appears the same to me.

~KK~

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Let's try clearing your cache.

From the Main menu, select Tools, Internet Options

On the General Options tab, there is a button about half-way down in the Temporary Internet Files section with the label "Delete Files". Click on this button.

Check the Delete all offline content check box and click on "OK".

Go back to Photobucket and see how it looks. If you are still having problems, copy the link here and I can take a look at it.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

On the General Options tab, there is a button about half-way down in the Temporary Internet Files section with the label "Delete Files". Click on this button.

Go back to Photobucket and see how it looks. If you are still having problems, copy the link here and I can take a look at it.
If I delete my files, won't I lose all my "saved" links to my favorite websites??

Please forgive an ignorant computer dummy! All this is foreign to me!

~KK~

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

If I delete my files, won't I lose all my "saved" links to my favorite websites??

Please forgive an ignorant computer dummy! All this is foreign to me!

~KK~
The Delete Files button won't do that. It just gets rid of files that the browser caches for quick retrieval. It won't affect your History or Bookmarks.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Okay - I did what you suggested, but it sure took a long time (about 15 minutes). I don't know if that's normal or not.
Then I went into Photobucket and reset the size again to message board format, but I couldn't reset it again for the pic, b/c now it's only giving me three options to choose from. I have no idea why: it let me do it before.
Everything is also running real slooooow now, too.

~KK~

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

Okay - I did what you suggested, but it sure took a long time (about 15 minutes). I don't know if that's normal or not.
Then I went into Photobucket and reset the size again to message board format, but I couldn't reset it again for the pic, b/c now it's only giving me three options to choose from. I have no idea why: it let me do it before.
Everything is also running real slooooow now, too.

~KK~
The reason why you only have three options is because it is at the Message Forum size.

Your browser may be slow because it is building up its cache again so it is downloading pictures.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it took 15 minutes it is probably because it was really full and had a lot to delete, which if you didn't know how to do it, is probable
so nothing to worry about there.