Could Someone Asnswer A Crafting Question?

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am not into crafting. However, there’s something I’ve wanted to try to make. I have no idea where to start or what kind of materials I’d need, especially the type of glue.

If you wanted to glue something kind of heavy onto a piece of fabric, would that work? What kind of glue would you use?

I’ve sen shadowboxes with seashells and other relatively heavy objects but if I want to glue onto fabric, I don’t know if something like that could be done.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you would need something sturdy behind it. This is a good glue but it's sometimes trial and error. Some things you literally have to hold them in place while the adhesive dries and bonds. https://www.amazon.com/E6000/b/ref=...r_brands_browse-bin=E6000&tag=&tag=thecatsite

Can you explain more about what you are envisioning? Do you mean a fabric backed shadow box? If so I would consider scrapbook paper instead of fabric. But either way it would need a solid back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes. I guess that’s what I was thinking. I would neee something like cardboard backing to glue the fabric onto?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I think you would need something sturdy behind it. This is a good glue but it's sometimes trial and error. Some things you literally have to hold them in place while the adhesive dries and bonds. https://www.amazon.com/E6000/b/ref=...r_brands_browse-bin=E6000&tag=&tag=thecatsite

Can you explain more about what you are envisioning? Do you mean a fabric backed shadow box? If so I would consider scrapbook paper instead of fabric. But either way it would need a solid back.
I've never used it, but I read many references to E6000 as being amazing glue. You used to be able to buy it at Dollar Tree, so check there. It would be much cheaper than anywhere else, plus, no shipping. Also try Home Depot and possibly Lowes.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes. I guess that’s what I was thinking. I would neee something like cardboard backing to glue the fabric onto?
Yes something firm that the fabric can be attached to. You can get shadow boxes in the framing department of any craft store. They will also have many glues. I have gotten the E6000 at Walmart also. If you don't want it famed; a flat canvas board might work well. It's hard to advise without knowing exactly what you are wanting to do.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Margret Margret It is white in the bottle, but dries clear.
Yes, I got that. The question is what happens to it over the months and years that follow. Does it remain clear, or does it cause the fabric to discolor over time, as Fray-Check sometimes does?

Margret

Jayflower

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I got that. The question is what happens to it over the months and years that follow. Does it remain clear, or does it cause the fabric to discolor over time, as Fray-Check sometimes does?
Margret Margret I do not know for sure whether it will discolor over time. I've only used it a few times to make repairs on some clothing items because I'm pretty terrible at sewing.