Could She Be Sunburned?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Mocha spent all afternoon yesterday in her cat tree in front of the window with the sun pouring in on her. (It was 108°.) She’s very fair skinned. I noticed last night that the skin in front of her ears was reddened, and it’s still quite red today. Could she have gotten sunburned even though the window has a slight reflectivity?

She does have mild environmental allergies, and occasionally one or the other eye will redden and water and the skin above will redden as well. But this is excessive and it’s both sides. Her eyes are fine.
B64B06DD-6C51-4135-A696-B542CD7EBEBE.jpeg A266BAAE-C6FC-4AC5-AACF-81704B16E3EE.jpeg E8CD8C85-D3FC-4F65-9E35-82C0061D689A.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom about that one pic - that looks like something she might have been scratching at. I suppose she could have scratched at a sunburn, but if it's like the ones I have had I certainly avoid touching that area because it hurts too much to touch.

Do you think your vet would recognize a sunburn through a picture? Why don't you send them one and see what they think. Hopefully, they can either prescribe something for it or suggest some OTC treatments. I would want to get something to treat it with, if it were me.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi! I'm not sure - I'm confused a bit by what her right side looks like in the bottom photo - that doesn't seem like a sunburn...?
No, it looks a bit like she’s scratched it there, doesn't it. And she may have in that one spot, as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner suggests. But I haven’t seen her scratching although she may have during the night. Those areas don’t seem to bother her, and they’re not sensitive because I’ve stroked them gently and all she does is purr.

I did some searching, and it appears that they can get sunburn through a window. And light-colored cats are more susceptible.

If she’s still red tomorrow, I’ll give the vet a call, although they’re on my black list. I had her in on Thursday afternoon because she had stopped eating, and as far as I’m concerned the alternate vet I had to see fubarred it. She gave her what I believe was a completely unnecessary shot of Convenia without my permission. I’ll try to get through to my regular vet. So frustrating not to be in the exam room, although I understand why it’s necessary. :(

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The right side looks abraded to me as well. As for the sun, I had a cat who did develop skin cancer from having been outdoors for years before I adopted him. It was deeper in the ear, oddly enough, not on the tip and required a very extensive surgery which removed his ear and part of his scalp.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mocha spent all afternoon yesterday in her cat tree in front of the window with the sun pouring in on her. (It was 108°.) She’s very fair skinned. I noticed last night that the skin in front of her ears was reddened, and it’s still quite red today. Could she have gotten sunburned even though the window has a slight reflectivity?

She does have mild environmental allergies, and occasionally one or the other eye will redden and water and the skin above will redden as well. But this is excessive and it’s both sides. Her eyes are fine.
View attachment 347333View attachment 347334View attachment 347335
Though I agree that the bottom photo looks like a scratch, it could be from her scratching the area because it itches or hurts. And yes, cats can DEFINITELY get sunburn. Lighter colored cats are more susceptible to more severe burns and yes, skin cancer. When we went to Best Friends in Kanab, UT (the world's most famous and beloved sanctuary for animals) with a white cat whose skin issues we were unsuccessful in treating, we met several "cancer cats" all of them white, who had had ears removed due to skin cancer. This is very real and it is critical to keep these cats from direct sunlight, especially in high temperatures. Mocha definitely qualifies as a light cat. She needs a low-light life -- NO direct exposure to strong sun like that. I do strongly suggest you have a vet check her out ASAP, and then find some ways to shield her from direct sun while still allowing her to enjoy looking out of windows.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Though I agree that the bottom photo looks like a scratch, it could be from her scratching the area because it itches or hurts. And yes, cats can DEFINITELY get sunburn. Lighter colored cats are more susceptible to more severe burns and yes, skin cancer. When we went to Best Friends in Kanab, UT (the world's most famous and beloved sanctuary for animals) with a white cat whose skin issues we were unsuccessful in treating, we met several "cancer cats" all of them white, who had had ears removed due to skin cancer. This is very real and it is critical to keep these cats from direct sunlight, especially in high temperatures. Mocha definitely qualifies as a light cat. She needs a low-light life -- NO direct exposure to strong sun like that. I do strongly suggest you have a vet check her out ASAP, and then find some ways to shield her from direct sun while still allowing her to enjoy looking out of windows.
Both of her favorite cat perches are by windows that get a lot of sunlight..but they both also have blinds. Little does she know that next time I catch her in one of them, the blind is coming down!

She’s been sleeping on the sofa this afternoon, full shade, and hasn’t scratched or worried at the spots at all. And she isn’t bothered when I run my finger lightly over the reddened areas. That, at least, is a good thing. :)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of her favorite cat perches are by windows that get a lot of sunlight..but they both also have blinds. Little does she know that next time I catch her in one of them, the blind is coming down!

She’s been sleeping on the sofa this afternoon, full shade, and hasn’t scratched or worried at the spots at all. And she isn’t bothered when I run my finger lightly over the reddened areas. That, at least, is a good thing. :)
You can get window-cling film that still allows light, and is transparent but tinted, so it cuts the direct, strong effects. An awning on the window would diffuse the light, too. Just a couple of suggestions.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
You can get window-cling film that still allows light, and is transparent but tinted, so it cuts the direct, strong effects. An awning on the window would diffuse the light, too. Just a couple of suggestions.
Thanks, tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 ! Great suggestions. The windows are already slightly tinted, and the place I live won’t allow awnings, but when all else fails, I’ll pull the blind. I don’t even know if it’s a sun overdose, but I thought it was a possibility.

I don’t see how it could be related to her not wanting to eat, but maybe she’s got something going on in her little system. Would have been nice if the vet had drawn blood...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 ! Great suggestions. The windows are already slightly tinted, and the place I live won’t allow awnings, but when all else fails, I’ll pull the blind. I don’t even know if it’s a sun overdose, but I thought it was a possibility.

I don’t see how it could be related to her not wanting to eat, but maybe she’s got something going on in her little system. Would have been nice if the vet had drawn blood...
Does she feel hot to the touch in those areas? I'm wondering if she has a temperature.
My cats don't eat as much in hot weather. I call it "food striking" and it's like we don't always want to eat as much when it's hot, either. That's not abnormal and there's nothing wrong if it's only that. As long as she is eating something and drinking/using litterbox normally, I wouldn't worry too much about that; but if the redness continues, I would probably want to see her vet.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Does she feel hot to the touch in those areas?
I’ve checked that throughout the day, and I don’t think she feels any hotter than the other two. It’s 80° in the house, so we’re all feeling kinda hot! ☀

She didn’t just slow down her eating, she stopped all together. I did get her to eat about 3 ozs. today so we’re working on it. I have some mirtazapine if it gets worse again.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve checked that throughout the day, and I don’t think she feels any hotter than the other two. It’s 80° in the house, so we’re all feeling kinda hot! ☀

She didn’t just slow down her eating, she stopped all together. I did get her to eat about 3 ozs. today so we’re working on it. I have some mirtazapine if it gets worse again.
She's got to eat some every day. Otherwise she could have some serious problems. So yes, by all means, keep her eating.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Just got back from a quick trip to the vet. She prescribed Animax ointment for Mocha’s apparent sunburn. I know they tell you to stay out of the sun if you’re taking antibiotics, so I asked the vet if that could have caused Mocha’s reaction since she gave her that shot of Convenia two days before. She didn’t seem to think it was related and asked if I had the window open. Uh, no. It was 105° outside. :headshake:

Mocha didn’t get enough calories this morning so I’m going to try the mirtazapine.