Could she be pregnant?

lizie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! Well, I have just adopted a new kitten, Cleo, from the humane society. She's a total swetheart and I just adore her! They told me she was 4 months old, but were the slightest bit unsure of her exact age. Anyway, I am wondering, what is the youngest a kitten can get pregnant? When we got her home we realized her belly is a little fat. Figuring it was probably worms (she was infested with fleas too...but we got that taken care of) I just figured I'd get the vet's opinion when I take her in. Well, being paranoid (I lost my sweet Fiona to FIP a month and a half ago..) I began to worry that she might be unhealthy. Or pregnant. She has strange lumps in her that can be felt when laying on her side. They don't move though, so I wonder could they be kittens? Could I be feeling her organs? When she is standing, her belly is a little tight but soft too, if that makes sense. I am so worried about her! I am praying she is not pregant! We aren't going to the vet until next week and I hate thinking and worrying....ahhhhh! Does anyone have an idea what might be going on here? THANKS!!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes she could be pregnant at 4 months if she just came into heat and was mated before being dropped off at the shelter. But my guess is that its more unlikely then likely.

Most females come into first heats around 6 months old or later. Depends on when they are born. Kitten season starts in the spring and if she was born late December/January, she could very well have a first heat by 4 months of age.

Lets hope its not something really wrong and she's not pregnant either

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a young kitten could probably not have kittens safely... the vet will likely recommend spaying...

Good luck.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I wonder is why the humane society adopted out a kitten without being spayed first?

ms_joshica

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That thought had crossed my mind too, but maybe they thought she was too young. I got my baby from a very reputable pet store and they had not spayed her because they did the 6month thing and she was about 3months when I got her so maybe they went by the sam rule???

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ms_joshica

That thought had crossed my mind too, but maybe they thought she was too young. I got my baby from a very reputable pet store and they had not spayed her because they did the 6month thing and she was about 3months when I got her so maybe they went by the sam rule???
Unfortunately cats can become as early as 4 months...so many rescues are now fixing cats as early as 7/8 weeks of age.

Here is a great study on pediatric spay/neuter:

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/repo...ly-neuter.html

The amazing thing is that these kittens bounce back from the surgery much faster than older kittens/cats.

Katie

ms_joshica

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know one thing, when my baby has these kittens, the moment they look WEANED she is getting, "altered"!
But the doctors in this area just aren't up to speed when it comes to that because you have to just about beg the doc to do it. I guess I will have to go further out because I want them all fixed up at the same time. Her spayed along with the kits and e1 vaccinated. Is that possible?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ms_joshica

I know one thing, when my baby has these kittens, the moment they look WEANED she is getting, "altered"!
But the doctors in this area just aren't up to speed when it comes to that because you have to just about beg the doc to do it. I guess I will have to go further out because I want them all fixed up at the same time. Her spayed along with the kits and e1 vaccinated. Is that possible?
The neuter scooter has dates in August for Indiana...and they will fix kittens as young as 6 weeks of age:

http://www.neuterscooter.com/index.cfm?fa=c.FAQ

http://www.neuterscooter.com/index.c...clinicstate=IN

Their fees are very reasonable.

Katie

ms_joshica

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's nice. However, I'm gonna miss the nueter scotter because she is due, pretty much within this week and the kits certainly wont be 6 weeks by then. Oh well I will just take them to the vet because e1 is getting fixed at the same time!