Could she be part Mau?

mycatsinthetub

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a strange little kitty that I thought was just a quirky tortie, but as she gets older her attitude and mischievousness are growing by leaps and bounds. She somehow ended up being my kitty, she loves the whole family, but spends her days following me around the house, sitting behind me, chattering at me, and getting into mischief. This cat looks at locks and things as a cool puzzle, and hasn't met a shelf she can't get to. 6 foot vertical jump? No problem, if she feels like it. She's SMART. Not that my other cats are dumb, but they haven't figured out the six button sequence to brew coffee =) She also has weird eyes which I am completely in love with. You can't really see the colour in the first picture, much better in the second. 

She was born in Canada, next door to a house that has Egyptian Maus (as in they are cats the people brought with them from Egypt, not pedigreed or anything), in these photos she is 3. Her coat darkened from birth to 2, and has stayed the same for the past year. She has also filled out quite a bit in the last year.

I'm just curious. I've never had a tortie before. Is this just their natural attitude and aptitudes? I've read about them having buckets of personality =)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Maus arent known to be torties... They are renown for being spotted.

That said, if these natural borne Mau´s  (or rather - proto- Mau´s) were not spayed, yes, it is fully possible here she is a natural daughter to one of them, probably a tom.

One of the very few cases where a question "is my cat a real Mau?" we can answer; yes, although the Maus are very rare, it is quite possible she is a part Mau.

Surely a lovely girl!   Has you though on participating in Cat Shows with her?  In almost every Cat show there usually a class for household pets.  As there cant be any breed standard, the judges looks at the personality and overall the shape and condition of the cat.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycatsinthetub

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, their cats were mostly spotted, one was a smoky grey. I have loved Mau's ever since I saw that Mean Little Kitty song on YouTube. When I saw a whole window full of Mau's (they had about 8) I was thrilled! It was like fate when I saw someone gardening. I'm a crazy cat lady, so I chatted with her. She did mention that her two boys had got out several times and she was spaying and neutering them all as she had the money to do it at the Vet College.

I didn't link that to my kitten until much later, then I started thinking maybe my little kitty was part Mau.

I'd love to take her to shows, but I think it would stress her out too much.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'd love to take her to shows, but I think it would stress her out too much.
In the Pet cats class it is of course important they do enjoy the situation.  In purebred class judges do have some understanding for stressed cats, as Shows are part of the pure breeding circle.

But if she isnt too shy of strangers, perhaps even enjoys to be seen, likes to be carried around and handled even by strangers, as long as they are lovingly and knowleable - it may be worth a try.

Our shy Russian Blue boy, although being a shy cat and hates to be carried AND fully fertile at this time, did managed to get his Champion title.

Although it is true judges gave him several times the second place in his class (Excellent 2), so he would be spared to go into the next rounds... True, in the end he got enough... Last time we saw it in his eyes, so we did quit.

I mean, with a lively, non shy cat, there is good reasons to try out.

Begin with visiting a couple of shows nearby.  Get the info of how to get in...

ps.  There is one more native Arabic breed, the Arabian Mau.  These are allowed a wider variety of colors. so although many ARE spotted, there may occur other colorings too.

Anyway, your girl is almost surely a natural dau of one of these neigbours toms, whomever they are.

Last edited: