Could she be depressed?

jazzygemmy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think my cat may be depressed :-(

I adopted Hex 3 years ago, when she was 2. She is a Siamese cross and acts like your typical Siamese. Friendly, outgoing, silly, talkative, playful, etc. At the time, I was a singe gal and it was just her and I in a studio apartment. She was SO HAPPY. Fast forward 3 years and a lot has changed for both of us. I have gotten married, had my son and we have adopted two more cats. It took her awhile to adjust to life with my son, but she now loves him. When we adopted Bill, the second kitty, it also took her a few months to accept him but they have since become the best of buds. Then, about a month ago, we welcomed our third cat, Reggie, into our family. It only took Hex and Bill a couple weeks to become friendly with Reggie. There is no longer any hissing or dirty looks going around and they will actually all play together on occasion. Believe it or not, with all that going on, our house is still pretty much a library.

Everyone but Hex seem to be very happy and comfortable. Within the last week, she has quit talking, quit playing for the most part, her coat looks like crap (it looks greasy, and sort of fluffier than usual-in the past she goes through an ugly hair thing during stressful events), she still eats but not as enthusiastically as she used to (I actually have to pick her up and place her in front of her bowl to eat-but she will then eat it all). She won't even get excited about her laser pointer, which is her FAVORITE THING IN THE WORLD. We took her to the vet yesterday to see if it was her health at all and the vet gave her a clean bill of health. He said she is probably just still adjusting to the addition of Reggie.

She has always been the alpha cat and from what I have noticed, it seems like Reggie respects that. It does seem like her and Reggie have a lot of the same personality traits. She still claims her favorite sleeping spots and I have been lavishing her with most my attention. In fact, she is laying right next to me right now-she is my shadow. I just feel terrible! I know she is not being herself, even though my husband thinks she is perfectly fine. I try to make her life as fun and joyful as possible (I am a stay at home mom, so I am always around to talk to her, play with her, etc.) I have never seen her like this. I know it takes cats awhile to adjust to changes, but it seems like everything is going well with the introduction.

What do I do?

jmljml19

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i know you said you brought her to the vet but did they run any blood tests?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jazzygemmy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it was actually her yearly wellness check, so we get the regular blood panel then, too. He said everything looked normal. That is when we mentioned her behavior to him. It had been a couple of days actually that she had been acting "off". Should I opt for different blood work? To be honest, I am not 100% sure all the tests that he includes with the "regular" routine panel. I know that it costs about $150 for it though! ;-)

jmljml19

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat with hyperthyroidism and I had to specifically ask for the test for her thyroid before I found out she had it because the routine blood tests all came back normal for everything else so it wouldn't hurt to ask for certain blood tests that weren't covered in the wellness tests. if I didn't specifically ask for my cat's test and just went by the other blood work, she could have developed something more serious and life threatening but now she's on medication and doing well so I don't regret spending the extra money for the test :) the problem with your cat is that her symptoms could have many different causes, one being depression so you might just want to wait awhile like you did with your other cat to see if she'll get used to the new cat or not. if you're still worried, get extra tests done. hope it works out for you in the end though :)

jazzygemmy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I just figured it all out! I cannot believe it never dawned on me before. She is afraid of my son!

He just started walking a month ago. The time Hex started acting different! I just watched him run by her screaming and she ducked down and looked TERRIFIED! Then when he turned and started going toward her, she darted off. I always supervise him with the cats and in fact, he typically ignores them. I know he hasn't been rough with her (we live in  900 sq ft open concept house)...I know EVERYTHING that goes on here :-) I think his energy freaks her out though.

She has plenty of hiding places where she could get away from him and we even have a cat walk/shelves that lead all the way to our ceiling for the cats to perch on. Do you think she will just have to hang in there until he grows up a little and isn't as frightening? Rehoming her is NOT an option.

I will talk to the vet again next week and see if he might have any ideas. They are closed on Friday except for emergencies.

Last edited:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, poor Hex. 

I always like to get a full CBC when I take my cats to the vet, as well as a urinalysis. You did well by taking her to the vet, as that would have been my first suggestion. As you already know, a health problem can cause a change in behavior. It concerns me that she isn't excited about eating. Is she peeing and pooping normally? Did the doc listen to her breathing and heart? I ask because a heart defect, as well as other conditions, can cause a change in behavior but not show up in blood work.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think I just figured it all out! I cannot believe it never dawned on me before. She is afraid of my son!

He just started walking a month ago. The time Hex started acting different! I just watched him run by her screaming and she ducked down and looked TERRIFIED! Then when he turned and started going toward her, she darted off. I always supervise him with the cats and in fact, he typically ignores them. I know he hasn't been rough with her (we live in  900 sq ft open concept house)...I know EVERYTHING that goes on here :-) I think his energy freaks her out though.

She has plenty of hiding places where she could get away from him and we even have a cat walk/shelves that lead all the way to our ceiling for the cats to perch on. Do you think she will just have to hang in there until he grows up a little and isn't as frightening? Rehoming her is NOT an option.

I will talk to the vet again next week and see if he might have any ideas. They are closed on Friday except for emergencies.
Oh! Definitely a possibility! You could try putting Feliway diffusers around the house. They might help calm her and not be so scared. 

jazzygemmy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As far as I know, she is still pooping and peeing regularly. It's difficult to tell with three cats and multiple litter boxes, but I know for a fact I catch her in the litter box in the laundry room once a day. The only things I can think of that have changed for her recently, was a change in food-went from EVO to TOTW (kibble-but I am starting to give them wet food in the evenings now), the addition of Reggie one month ago and my son started walking.

I'm sure that the addition of the new kitty and my son being a holy terror has her on edge, but do you think the food change might play a role as well? Just trying to rule things out here.

jazzygemmy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, forgot to mention the change in kibble happened a couple months ago.