Could our new kitten be a mix of a known cat breed?

acrissyz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so I know majority of cats if not bought from a breeder with papers are regular domestic cats. But when me and my sis brought home a kitten from the pet shelter we fell in love with him because of his personality so much that we didn't notice how he looked except for the fact that he was spazy. After a while of having him his fur went from spazy to matted. His back is slick but his chest stomach and cheeks are fluffy and matted. He is extremely playful and curious. He has to see what everyone is doing. No joke he just jumped on the couch and plopped himself in front of me right now. He isn't afraid of strangers. If anyone goes to the bathroom in the middle of the night he will wait by the restroom door until they go back to bed. He is a very good cat. And before anyone tells me, he was spayed before we adopted him. Ok enough talk about him now to show what he looks like. I noticed that if you look at him from a certain angle it looks like he has spots. He has stripes on his legs. Maybe it's just me but he looks like he could be some kind of mix breed. Either way if he is just a normal domestic he is still an awesome cat.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mackerel tabby does quite often have some of these stripes broken, and it may look like spots , especially on the tummy.

So he is mackerel tabby, brown and white.

Domestic as you said.

Wonderful he has such a nice personality, making him easy to be liked by everyone.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

acrissyz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wasn't sure if that was what he is. I looked up breeds of cats with stripes and that breed was one them. But I thought it looked like spots but that's why I had to ask because I didn't know. Thank you for the info. Now I know what to tell people the type of tabby he is.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah.  Add "broken macqerel tabby" to be sure it explains the spots.

Or to non cat people, "broken stripe tabby".

Last edited: