Could my rescue cat be pregnant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm a little worried that she is going to produce two litters at two different times now though if she was pregnant, went into heat and went outside again... I know it's rare, but I guess prepare just in case.. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you really want to know how many kittens and how far along she is, you can take her for an X-ray at the vet.

Last edited:

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess they would be able to tell if the kittens are all developing at the same time?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, an experienced vet would be able to tell when he/she reads the X-ray.

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: I have spayed the kitten. The vet was going to charge 140 for a physical only examination of the mum, so I decided against it.. If she concvieved earlier (we had previously assumed she was 5 weeks as she was beginning to show) this would mean she is now 7 weeks along.. and I don't think she is. Im thinking she conceived during her last heat, the weekend of March 18. She hasn't gotten noticeably any larger since I last posted. She is sleeping ALL DAY and likes to hide in our closet away from everybody to sleep.

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry those posted twice ahha
Anyway, I haven't been able to feel anything really.. her abdomen is super firm and I can't palpate.. I have no idea what I'm feeling for.. I do not want to pay 140 dollars for the physical so I'm going to try be patient. Do you guys think she is 4 weeks along? I contacted previous owners they said they remember her being outside all night at the end of February but they don't know if she was in heat at that time... :mad: grrr

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Heres a picture from directly above.. barely noticeable bulge. Her first litter was 2 kittens, maybe shes only having a small litter? I've been trying to find pictures of cats who are around 8 weeks pregnant and they are much larger than this.. makes me wonder if she really did get pregnant when they let her out March 18, and she is only 4 weeks? Also question: i plan on weighing kittens and using KMR if any lose, but I've read you shouldn't touch the kittens!? Should I bring sterile gloves home from work??

Attachments

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the continuous posting but she is my baby I just want to make sure her babies are safe and well:)

Attachments

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
MY BOYFRIEND OPENED THE BEDROOM DOOR AND MY POOR GIRL WAS BEHIND THE DOOR! It hit her stomach.. im super worried somebody please tell me that it wont hurt her or the babies... omg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is mom okay from the door? The babies are well-protected in her womb. They will be fine.

She does not look very big yet, so give it a couple of weeks to see if she begins showing. Once you can see and feel kitten movement she will have 2-3 weeks left.

$140 for a physical is steep. Did that include bloodwork?

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No bloodwork, just purely physical exam he said.. I thought that was pricey. Maybe time to find another vet? I spayed my kitten for 275.. was that a bad deal as well?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Where do you live? There are lower cost spay/neuter clinics available in many cities. Private vets are generally more expensive, but mine charges $45 for an office visit. I'm in Florida.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No bloodwork, just purely physical exam he said.. I thought that was pricey. Maybe time to find another vet? I spayed my kitten for 275.. was that a bad deal as well?
Yikes! Clinics around here charge $60 for spay/neuter, plus it's free for people who can't afford $60, but that is for clinics, not private vets which charge whatever the market will bear.

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh wow... I live in Canada, BC.. I really want to move to the USA. Theres one more initiative!!! Im not sure if my vet is private or not, just only one I know of in area and most of my family uses them...

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mum is ok from door, I was super concerned because her tummy took most of the hit -_-

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But good info thank you, I was timing it as if she was around 7 weeks and Im almost done my post secondary!! So if theyre not coming soon I have more time to prepare once Im doing school end of April:)