Could my outdoor cat become an indoor apt cat?

sarahniccole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Im sorry if similar questions have been asked before but my cat is a little more thick-headed than some and I wonder if there could be some advice specifically to help him. My 4 year old male cat, Moloki, is an outside cat. He used to live in an apt but once he got that first taste of the outdoors, he never looked back. He's been living at my parents house and can roam freely and come and go as he pleases. He has a big 5 bedroom house to be in when he is inside and a great big yard and peaceful neighbohood to roam when he is out. Im happy to let him stay there forever since he is happy, but sadly, the house is going to be sold soon and my family can no longer care for him. Now that I finally moved into an apt complex that allows pets, I would love nothing more than to bring him up here to live with me again. But I have many concerns..

Moloki has always been very sensitive to change. He hates car rides and refuses to be in his carrier. Taking him to the vet is a challenge to say the least. It usually takes 2 people to hold him and wrap his body in a towel and just hold him like a baby til we get to the vet. When I drove him from NY to PA, he spent 3 straight hours thrashing around in his carrier til I finally thought he was really going to hurt himself and ended up holding him in my lap the whole rest of the trip! When he is left inside for too long, he meows and meows and wont let up til he can go out. He also has not used a litter box in over 2 years because he is outside so much he just goes out there. So I am very worried at how he might adjust to living indoors again and in a much smaller space. I also worry about even making the trip up to my new place remembering the nightmare the trip was so long ago. Is it possible that he could adjust and eventually be a happy kitty again being inside? Could he learn to use the litter box again? Im worried he will tear apart my brand new furniture or pee all over everything. Has anyone been able to do this and succeed for a cat thats so stubborn as mine? Should I maybe get a female cat to introduce him to in hopes that he will be happier if he has a playmate? I really love him a lot and hate the thought of giving him up for adoption, especially after the absolute horror stories you hear about animal neglect and cruelty. I just dont know what I should do! Any advice will help. I know it will be a slow, long process if I do try this and I will have patience but I need to know if there is any hope I can actually make it work. Thanks!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The answer is.... yes! And he will probably be much healthier and have a much longer life inside!

My Hope for example was not even anyone's pet... she was a stray, semi-feral, picked-up from the streets, taken to the shelter (pregnant, got an spay abortion) and the rest is history. She is today a 100% inside very happy happy happy kitty with me and my other 2....

First things first - is he neutered? Because if not, he needs to be ASAP.

Second: The secret for an easier transition: Make the inside interesting - get a cat tree, window sills, scratching posts, toys, and if you can, make use of your walls for vertical space - the more you give to him, the less he will use of yours... I installed shelves on the walls for my kitties and they LOVE it! and I have all of the above - I have 3 cats, all inside a small 1 br. apartment.... they have never destroyed any of my furniture... never.

For litterbox: When you bring him inside of the apartment, bring him into a room first, at least for a week or so - that will be his safe room - don't just put him into the living room and leave him there.
In this room you will have his litter box, food, water, toys, etc. Spend lots of time with him there. Let him come out of the room to explore the house supervised little by little when you notice that he is already using the littebox.
A great litter for training adult cats is Cat Attract Litter - users swear by it!! There is also a rebate form for it, so the first bag is free.

Here is the info: http://www.preciouscat.com/precious-attract-p-5.html

Here is the rebate info: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206606

Here are some tips on beating the boredom for inside cats: http://www.thecatsite.com/Care/239/Beating-Boredom-What-IndoorCat-Owners-Need-to-Know.html

Good luck!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahniccole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is some wonderful advice! Thank you so much for the great insight. I feel much better about bringing him up here to live with me. Yes he is neutered so that wont be something I will have to worry about. I think maybe I will try to get him in the winter time when he spends more time inside anyway. Ill be so happy to have him back home with me!

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree, I think he can adapt to life indoors, and it will be much better for him. I rescued a cat that had been living outdoors for a few years. I was so apprehensive about bringing him indoors, but I have to tell you, he loves it. He still likes to look out the windows, but never attempts to go near the door. Just a little time and patience and some extra attention and things should work out.