Could my cat’s tail recover from this fall?

vanemeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m literally crying because my cat’s tail is limping. My husband was carrying her and for some reason she freaked out and jumped off but when she did she hit her butt against the wall. Now her tail is limping. She is scared. She can move her tail a bit like curl it but that’s about it. She’s known for her puffy curled tail and it makes me happy seeing her with it like that. Now because of this fall I don’t see it.
The worst part is that the amount of open vet hospital or clinics this weekend is scarce. I live in a very small city where businesses don’t open on the weekends. If there are any open, apparently they aren’t taking in new patients. I looked for emergency clinics and they’re all low reviewed. I’m lost and scared for my cat.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a vet but let’s talk about this a minute. First, she is walking okay so that’s a plus. Let’s hope that a nerve got pinched or something for just this moment. We can’t know but let’s just start there.
The thing is that a vet really does need to be contacted. Can you at least call one to ask for information? They need to check her out. They may want to give her pain meds and make sure that there is not other damage. I can understand that you don’t want to take her to a vet with low reviews but you know you can always refuse any treatment that you don’t agree with. Do you have a regular vet? A call left for them might be an option. A text or email might get you a call back too.
Is she eating, drinking, going to the bathroom abnormally, crying, breathing fast, still acting scared, any swelling or any other symptoms? Observe her and if anything is different from usual, she really needs to be seen by a vet. I live in a small town too but a frantic call to a vet would probably get me a response from someone. Call every vet and see if someone can give you real medical advice. They may be better able to tell you what to watch for, help you to find somewhere for assistance or…. ease your concerns. You will need to keep watch over her for any changes. Please do keep updating here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanemeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m literally crying because my cat’s tail is limping. My husband was carrying her and for some reason she freaked out and jumped off but when she did she hit her butt against the wall. Now her tail is limping. She is scared. She can move her tail a bit like curl it but that’s about it. She’s known for her puffy curled tail and it makes me happy seeing her with it like that. Now because of this fall I don’t see it.
The worst part is that the amount of open vet hospital or clinics this weekend is scarce. I live in a very small city where businesses don’t open on the weekends. If there are any open, apparently they aren’t taking in new patients. I looked for emergency clinics and they’re all low reviewed. I’m lost and scared for my cat.
She is able to walk fine. She eats as normal and is herself. She has been able to poop and pee fine. I noticed she can start to curl her tail a bit. She is able to jump on the bed and on the window still. I found a nearby emergency pet clinic. No clinics around me are taking walk ins.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With cats it is always hard to tell minor from serious as they are so good at hiding pain. I once had a cat scream at a hurt paw and I was sure she had broken it. The vet talked to me and told me how to help her until I could get her in. Fortunately she was okay but it scared me and since she screamed, I was shocked and convinced it was serious. We got lucky that time. She has never screamed before or since. It was just so unusual for a cat to holler like that! I have had opposite things too. Walk ins may not be accepted but if you ever need help, do explain it seems to be an emergency and they may make an exception. I am so glad she is better! Keep watching and you still might want them to take a look to be sure all is healing. :heartshape: