Could more have been done?

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Anyone who even knows me, knows that I have exhausted all avenues of help in this situation. The man is gone now. My hope is that the next town he rides into will be larger. There, they will be equipped with the capibility of helping this man and relieving him of his passengers.

I have been helping cats a very long time. This is the first time where my efforts have been in vain. It is not an easy battle to lose, but experience has taught me that soon another battle will appear. I will hopefully win that one. I couldn't help these cats even though, God knows I tried. I can become proactive and get archaic or incomplete laws changed.

I wrote about this experience in my blog. If you want to read it, you can. It isn't pretty, so don't go there if you are expecting happily ever after. In rescue, sometimes, happily ever after doesn't exist. http://www.feralcatbehavior.com/
I know you tried as hard as you could.

So was this guy like a homeless person or a vagabond or something?

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know.. this is a hard call. That man *obviously* is attached to those cats. While the cats shouldn't be treated that way, he obviously doesn't want to lose them and they're probably all he has. I mean, I know this is sort of a backwards view of it, but.. he could be carrying more stuff for himself instead of the cats, and you know, they might even have a better life than they had before. And.. given that he looks like he doesn't have a lot, it says a lot to see most of his space taken up with the animals, and not with warm coats, or more clothing, or who knows what else...

I hope that man finds peace where he can properly care for those cats. Somewhere. I think he would if he had the means to do it himself. I hate to see them in that condition, but I hate to see humans in that condition too, and sometimes animals help us keep the only sanity we have left. I guess I can see why he won't let go of them, even though I really hate to see them in that position.

I think that all you can do now is hope for the best, for all of them.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

I don't know.. this is a hard call. That man *obviously* is attached to those cats. While the cats shouldn't be treated that way, he obviously doesn't want to lose them and they're probably all he has. I mean, I know this is sort of a backwards view of it, but.. he could be carrying more stuff for himself instead of the cats, and you know, they might even have a better life than they had before. And.. given that he looks like he doesn't have a lot, it says a lot to see most of his space taken up with the animals, and not with warm coats, or more clothing, or who knows what else...

I hope that man finds peace where he can properly care for those cats. Somewhere. I think he would if he had the means to do it himself. I hate to see them in that condition, but I hate to see humans in that condition too, and sometimes animals help us keep the only sanity we have left. I guess I can see why he won't let go of them, even though I really hate to see them in that position.

I think that all you can do now is hope for the best, for all of them.
Yeah, I know what you are saying, it doesn't look like he has much, and I think that people like that will go hungry themselves to feed their cats. He probably doesn't have anyone in his life but his animals, and I am sure that he is taking the best care of them that he can.

This is just so sad.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, my heart breaks all the way around the situation.
And, truly, it might be a better life than those cats had before, they might have been feral and/or starving, and it might improve for them soon. He may only have them there long enough to be transient and get to whatever destination he has. Obviously the cats like him and know each other or he wouldn't have gotten so many into one carrier at a time. Either that or he's just better with cats than I am, because I surely couldn't put more than one of mine in a carrier without them going ballistic.

It has to be heading for a better situation, even if it's one where he's feeding them and they're all homeless together, but not in the carriers.

We've just got to think positive about this one?

Chin up, hissy.. while it's rough on them now, I think it will be better soon.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How awful. I would rather be starving and free, then have food, be sitting in my own filth and crammed into a cage.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

I know it.
It's heartbreaking all the way around.
Yes it is, cause we really don't know the story behind this.

But I really think that each one of us here would do whatever we had to do to be able to keep our animals with us, no matter what.

I know that I would.