Could I get another kitten?

gonger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

We were originally going to have two kittens but after an unfortunate death, we ended up with only Pumpkin. After going to a couple of RSPCA events I find myself wanting another. I think it's been left too late though. Pumpkin, 5 1/2 months, is quite aggressive towards all of my cat shaped soft toys(rubbing against their cheek and then biting hard into the necks) so I'm sort of wary of putting another kitten near her. Given I can find the right kitten (a male maybe just a little bigger or older) would it be something I should even try?

She's going in for her desexing tomorrow so is it possible for her attitude to change just enough that with the proper introductions she might accept another cat eventually? While I would like to get a shelter cat (they're practically being given away due to overcrowding) the wellbeing of both cats is of course the most important part and I don't want to agree to a trial if both kittens are just going to be stressed out by it. 

This is Pumpkin and the boy we're considering who is younger by a couple of weeks but already the same size roughly. He's already been desexed and had all of his vaccinations.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
5 1/2 months is not too old
it's never too old really,  IMO but there are some exceptions with older cats. My Aby was 6 months old when I adopted another similar age cat. Your cat may be a bit aggressive with toys because she's a little bored. I bet she would be happier with a friend to play with

Wait a little while after the spay to get another cat. You want your current cat to recover from the spay and be stress free before introducing another cat. Will the boy cat you're considering still be available then? 

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww what pretty kitties!

And of course it is ok to get another kitten! 5 1/2 months is nowhere near too old. And the fact that the male has already been neutered will help a lot when introducing them. But you should probably let your girl heal a bit before introducing them.

Make sure you give the boy his own room with toys, food and water bowls, and litter when you get him. Being that they are both kittens, introductions probably wont tale very long, since kittens mostly just want to play together. But your girl might be slightly territorial. So thats why I suggest a seperate room for the boy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gonger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice :) We like the look of Rum Tum Tugger but there's still things to be sorted with our landlord and letting Pumps heal, so if he gets a good home in the meantime I'm happy for him. If he's still there maybe he's meant to come home with me haha. Only issue with Rum Tum is that he had calcivirus when he was first surrendered so I need to research long term affects, if any.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gonger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There were some very well trained kittens at the petbarn I went into today, as I walked past them two let out little mews and stretched out their paws through the cage. The solid black female in particular was great to interact with and she's a fully vetted shelter cat so I think I've found cat number 2 :D "Bessie" is 8 months and a fair bit bigger than Pumpkin (6 months) but is apparently placid with her display mates.