Could he be rabid??

babydk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have several feral cats we feed outside.  They are all fixed and enjoy a nice life doing their thing without having to worry about food.  One tortie showed up a few weeks ago.  He wasn't bad, didn't cause any trouble and we fed him as well.  Well, the last few days he's really been aggresive.  He's spitting at me as soon as I come out with the food, howling really loud, and today he actually reached out and scratched me a little bit when I went to set the bowls down. 

He's done a 180 as far as temperment from what I can see...and now I am wondering-could he/she have rabies maybe?  He wasn't foaming or anything, but boy did he have a wild mean look on his face.

Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?  Thank you!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rabies is rare in cats but it is a possibility. If it is rabies, she (almost all torties are female) will be dead in a few days. So keep an eye on that, especially since she scratched you. If she dies or disappears in the next 10 days you'll need to get rabies shots.

It's more likely that she's in heat and is cranky from that, or possibly she was an abused pet and prefers to lash out first, making the pre-emptive strike (my mom rescued a tortie from a bad home, and she does that). All your other ferals have been vaccinated against rabies, right?

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If this cat is a tortie, then it is a female :). Is this new visitor sterilized? I did have the exact same issue with a feral cat once. After a couple of weeks and he got comfortable with me bringing food, he would approach me as I was walking out with the food bowls. He would hiss and lash out at my legs. He would also hiss and lash out when I was putting the bowls down. This is two-fold. One he was very, very hungry and wanted the food immediately before anyone else ate. Second, he was not neutered yet and he was very possessive of me and very bossy towards me. This behavior only started to come on AFTER he trusted me. Once I got him neutered, it took a few weeks for this behavior to dissipate. And :D I even found him a wonderful home and he is living the good life indoors and is very loving towards his new mommy. Has given up that behavior totally :clap:. I do not believe your new tortie is rabid, not at all. Just dominant...... ;):vibes:

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Another possibility he is having pain of some sorts.  Cats with pain dont have the same patience as usual, and thus teaching lessons whatever they are needed or not.

It may be a new pain, or old pain, with the same mechanism as Feralvr describes: when she was newbie and fighting to be accepted and to survive, she behaved to please herself in. Now when she is in, she dares to show off the pain.

This possiblility much more probable than rabies.   (although, If rabies IS a problem in your area, and you are aftraid of it - make your precautions against rabies.  A good advice is you take vaccine against rabies. - as you are helping homeless cats, you will meet this problem now and then).

Good luck!     *vibes*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babydk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am baffled.  I saw the same cat (I swear its the same one) today down at the mailboxes.  She was walking with one of the older guys who lives here.  He said she hangs around and keeps him company.  She came up to me and purred, head butted me, I petted her, she was loving and calm...a completely different acting cat.  Tonight, she was here for dinner and again the aggresiveness and hissing was paramount. 

Maybe it is a food, hunger issue or maybe she's just weird.  LOL

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'd guess she had to fight for her food at one point and she gets overstimulated when she sees the food coming. She was too shy at first, but now that she's used to everything, watch out! :lol3:. So my vote is for "just weird" :tongue2:.

babydk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'd guess she had to fight for her food at one point and she gets overstimulated when she sees the food coming. She was too shy at first, but now that she's used to everything, watch out!
. So my vote is for "just weird"
Sounds good to me Willowy...thank you!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well if that was the same cat, then she has at least another person caring for her needs. Hope she is spayed :cross: And I just think she is bit aggressive and "weird" :lol3: during feeding time. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

babydk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've rounded up pretty much all the ferals and have had them sterilized-she is a newbie.  I never saw her before a month or two ago.  My guess is she is not.  She'll be in the next bunch for sure. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've rounded up pretty much all the ferals and have had them sterilized-she is a newbie.  I never saw her before a month or two ago.  My guess is she is not.  She'll be in the next bunch for sure. 
Excellent!!! :hugs: :heart3: :vibes: