Could a Chihuahua breed with a Great Dane?

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I met a rottie/dauchsund mix once. He was a very funny looking dog. I at first though that he was a rottie/ bassett mix. But when I went to talk to his owners they said the 2 other dogs they had with them were the parents. I about died. The mom was a huge rottie and the dad was a tiny mini doxie.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I've heard of a dashound (sp) getting a rottie preggers, so yeah, it's possible. (Didn't hear the outcome of the pups, though.) It would definitely be easier for the larger dog to be the female to carry and deliver the pups, though.
Heidi - I have a friend to whom this exact thing happened. Their female Rottweiler was impregnated by a male Dachshund - successfully. The puppers were super-cute, having the same colouring, but all in all I think it's a very bad idea. I would think that it could be possible with a Great Dane and a Chi, if the Dane was the female. But I don't know that the puppies would survive or be healthy if they did. Interesting question though!

I'm not into BYBs anyway and certainly not such a ridiculous combination. Bit like Mad Science, to me, really. Best to leave breeding to the breeders I say, and go to a rescue for your pups if you don't want to pay for a purebred. Plenty of dogs out there that need homes - mostly for the reasons of people like my friend who bred puppies indiscriminately.

yobabsyo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My puppy is an odd mix. Her mother was a jack-rat terrior and the dad was a lab. There was about 7 puppies in the litter.

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Namo

It could definitely happen, but like so many other have said, the birth would kill a female chihuahua, let alone the gestation. That'd be like you giving birth to an entire litter of elephant babies. Okay, that's little exaggerated, but still, you get the idea. A male chihuahua and a female great dane, no problems.
I think it would be more like us women being pregnant and having to carry 2 or more adult sized babies. Great Dane pups are about the size of a Chi anyway

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

There was a picture someone posted from a shelter on the east coast - was a cross of a lab and basset. The pups really were cute - had the head of a lab; body of a basset

But we don't promote delibrate breeding to see what happens.
Now my Daughter has the cutiest dog he's a cross between a springer spaniel and a bassett
he's adorable, lon ears long short body but he has long hair

catbabe12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i saw a female chi she gave birth to 1 pup the was great dane and im like whoa lol