Coughing Siamese Cat

phreaq

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 5 year old Siamese male that has developed a ‘coughâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] over the last year. He usually crouches down and heaves many times, and coughs verily deeply. It sounds like its coming from his lungs and has a phlegm sound to it. He does this several times a day.

I have taken him to the vet, but he doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t see anything wrong. Weâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve changed his food, improved the air, and its still there.

Any thoughts?

thanks in advance,

phreaq

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My only thought is hairball.
Laxatone smeared on top of his front paws should help if it is.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think you should get a second opinion. This isn't normal. If you have a video camera, try to tape him coughing and show it to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phreaq

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the response folks!

We tried him on a few anti-hairball diets, but it had no effect.

coaster, would you believe I did video tape him, but now I've lost the camera..... (yes, the camera, not the tape)

amazalea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 19 yr old Siamese that developed a cough and then a kind of "wheezing" about 4 yrs ago. I had her into the vet when I first noticed and her lungs sounded fine, so I just did what you did-changed the diet, air and started hairball regimine.The cough and wheezing stayed pretty consistent for the last couple years. However, I took her in again on Tuesday because it's gotten worse and she was howling when picked up. We did x-rays and found problems in her sternum. I would definately get a second opinion. Your cat's young, so getting a second opinion now could really help.

phreaq

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll give the laxatone a try, and see what happens,

thanks again!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vote for a second opinion - unless this vet did x-rays already, and they were clear. I'd be curious to see if asthma can be ruled out or not.

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I vote for a second opinion - unless this vet did x-rays already, and they were clear. I'd be curious to see if asthma can be ruled out or not.
I was going to say, sounds asthmatic to me. If the vet didn't bother taking X-Rays...get a new vet!

phreaq

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright, I'm taking baby steps right now and tried the laxatone (well, a variation of it). It says to give it to my cat for 3 days, then once a week, but what's supposed to happen? should I keep giving him the laxatone each day until something happens?

without being to graphic, should I expect him to cough up a hairball (if it is one) or will he pass it?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMO you shouldn't give your cat ANYTHING until you've had them checked out by a vet. If you aren't satisfied with the other vet's diagnosis, please go to another vet and have the kitty checked.

We aren't vets here and even if we were, it's not possible to diagnose without actually seeing and examining your kitty.

Try to get your cat to a vet please.