Coughing after drinking water?

Paigeepatrin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 month old kitten has been coughing after drinking water.. he drinks water then sounds super congested and snorts like a pig kinda (best way to describe it) Also has a murmur wasn’t told what grade.
They told us it would be a heart defect which scares me horribly but he still is playing around and being active eating.
I’ve treated him for lungworms and tried antibiotics.
I want to see if others have had this experience and figured out what was going on? I now will be bringing him to the U of M for a lot of testing. Praying everything will be okay.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking your cat in for testing. It is best to get an expert opinion. Worms and parasites can wreak havoc on the systems of the very young, the old, and cats with compromised immune systems. In healthy cats, they usually cough it up or get rid of these worms in their feces. However since your cat was diagnosed with a heart murmur which they didn't tell you the grade it was, you would want to know where your kitty's heart health (and overall health stand).

Here are a few articles on the subject.I hope they do a thorough examination and give the best course of treatment. Best of luck.🙂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paigeepatrin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for taking your cat in for testing. It is best to get an expert opinion. Worms and parasites can wreak havoc on the systems of the very young, the old, and cats with compromised immune systems. In healthy cats, they usually cough it up or get rid of these worms in their feces. However since your cat was diagnosed with a heart murmur which they didn't tell you the grade it was, you would want to know where your kitty's heart health (and overall health stand).

Here are a few articles on the subject.I hope they do a thorough examination and give the best course of treatment. Best of luck.🙂

[/URL]
[/URL]
Thank you yes! But I’ve already treated for lung worms and heart worms. I told my vet it would be a good idea to try after hours and hours of research. I’ll be bringing him to the U of M soon just hard to get in. Also was looking to see if others have had these problems so I can maybe know what to expect.
But thank you 😊

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One of my guys used to cough every time he drank water, and it worried me a LOT because I know coughing can be a sign of heart issues. I took him to the Vet and he checked out fine. I just figured he didn't really know how to drink out of a bowl and must slurp some water into his airway every time he drank. He's now almost 12 years old and sometime along the way he stopped coughing after drinking. Don't know if this helps you or not since my guy never had any of the health issues your did/does.

Hoping it all turns out fine with your little one and that the heart murmur is very low grade :crossfingers:

Paigeepatrin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my guys used to cough every time he drank water, and it worried me a LOT because I know coughing can be a sign of heart issues. I took him to the Vet and he checked out fine. I just figured he didn't really know how to drink out of a bowl and must slurp some water into his airway every time he drank. He's now almost 12 years old and sometime along the way he stopped coughing after drinking. Don't know if this helps you or not since my guy never had any of the health issues your did/does.

Hoping it all turns out fine with your little one and that the heart murmur is very low grade :crossfingers:
I’m told a heart murmur 6 months or under can be pretty common. So last time I checked he was about 4 1/2 and is now almost 6. So we will get everything looked at. And right! On X-ray everything looks perfect.

Paigeepatrin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The heart murmur is low grade and gives me second thoughts since he’s only 6 months old and can be common up to that age.
Did your cat sound kinda congested after drinking water if you remember? Sounds like he’s snorting alittle.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The heart murmur is low grade and gives me second thoughts since he’s only 6 months old and can be common up to that age.
Did your cat sound kinda congested after drinking water if you remember? Sounds like he’s snorting alittle.
I don't recall any congestion. Just coughing.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you possibly 'raise up his water bowl' and 'food dish'....to see if this makes any difference in the way he laps up his water.
You could use anything to place under the water dish....old books, magazines, boxes, wood,...as long as it's sturdy and wide.

(This is way too expensive...but maybe it would give you some idea of what I mean:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072W598FQ/?tag=thecatsite

I'm wondering...that since a cat usually laps up water using his tongue...curled backwards...that maybe your guy is lapping it up too fast...or maybe splashing it somehow into his nasal sinuses/turbinates...(not sure if that is actually possible, ...so best to ask a Vet.)
The other thing I thought that maybe his 'depth perception' of the water-line is a little off...and he somehow gets his nose wet?

If you watch some youtube videos like this one,(I don't own this video, but figure it would be okay to show)... it shows two different ways of a cat lapping water.
(I honestly thought that all cats lap water with the 'backward tongue motion'...so was surprised that some do not.)

Lastly, if you can video tape....how your cat drinks water....and slow the video down...then it might help the Vet to see how he does it.
Also if you video the 'after-effects' of how he sounds and snorts, too.
(I hope he just grows out of it...and that they can figure it out easily. Good Luck.)

Paigeepatrin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could you possibly 'raise up his water bowl' and 'food dish'....to see if this makes any difference in the way he laps up his water.
You could use anything to place under the water dish....old books, magazines, boxes, wood,...as long as it's sturdy and wide.

(This is way too expensive...but maybe it would give you some idea of what I mean:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072W598FQ/?tag=thecatsite

I'm wondering...that since a cat usually laps up water using his tongue...curled backwards...that maybe your guy is lapping it up too fast...or maybe splashing it somehow into his nasal sinuses/turbinates...(not sure if that is actually possible, ...so best to ask a Vet.)
The other thing I thought that maybe his 'depth perception' of the water-line is a little off...and he somehow gets his nose wet?

If you watch some youtube videos like this one,(I don't own this video, but figure it would be okay to show)... it shows two different ways of a cat lapping water.
(I honestly thought that all cats lap water with the 'backward tongue motion'...so was surprised that some do not.)

Lastly, if you can video tape....how your cat drinks water....and slow the video down...then it might help the Vet to see how he does it.
Also if you video the 'after-effects' of how he sounds and snorts, too.
(I hope he just grows out of it...and that they can figure it out easily. Good Luck.)
I never thought of this and I think could be very possible! Thank you so much, I’ll definitely look into it. Since the U is very very expensive. My big concern recently is he had a huge coughing spasm with his tongue hanging out , almost thought he was choking but he wasn’t. I got X-rays on his chest and it shows no signs of infection or grey spots. With the coughing like that usually means he’s in respiratory distress but I can’t wrap my head around how that’s possible when everything looks good on a X-ray. Which leans me to something with the heart. So I go back and fourth constantly.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I never thought of this and I think could be very possible! Thank you so much, I’ll definitely look into it. Since the U is very very expensive. My big concern recently is he had a huge coughing spasm with his tongue hanging out , almost thought he was choking but he wasn’t. I got X-rays on his chest and it shows no signs of infection or grey spots. With the coughing like that usually means he’s in respiratory distress but I can’t wrap my head around how that’s possible when everything looks good on a X-ray. Which leans me to something with the heart. So I go back and fourth constantly.
I totally understand the worry,... and going back and forth trying to reason out what could be wrong.
Whenever any of our animals are sick, or acting not quite right, then it's so natural to worry and .. for me, yeah...I also tend to jump to the 'worst case scenario'...but then I have to try to remember....that maybe "no, it might not be the worst" ...and it could be "treatable" and controllable.

(One of my previous cats did have HCM (hypertrophic cardio myopathy) and CKD (chronic kidney disease)...but he was diagnosed when he was 13 yrs old.
At 13 yrs...is when a new Vet heard a heart murmur...and suggested a blood test called a "pro-BNP" ...to look for 'loose heart proteins circulating in the blood'...or something like that. His murmur was at a 2 or 3 at that time. The 'pro-BNP' test was added to his usual senior blood panel test.)

She said that over time the "pro-BNP" numbers would change...and indicate a worsening of his heart condition.
(Interestingly his numbers only slowly changed, but I took him to see a cat cardiologist....who did do a heart ultrasound. Up here in canada...it is kind of expensive at around $740 CAD, that was in 2015....five years ago,...but it did give me peace of mind, and I just had to know how bad it was.
Thankfully, it showed that his heart muscle was not severe enough to go on meds at that time...so we just took it year by year.
He did pass away at age 15.5 yrs...but not from the heart...but more of the CKD...or rather a combination of CKD and HCM...since the kidney disease needs more water added to his system...while the HCM....needs less.)

Sorry for the long story...my whole point...was maybe you could ask your Vet...if they think a "pro-BNP" test ...would be helpful?

With your guy, what is confusing is that you mentioned that he coughs 'after drinking'...because I would think that ...if his heart were bad...that he would also be "panting and sticking out his tongue" ...after exercise, playing, or running around ...like kittens normally do.
Except that kittens and cats do mask the medical issues they have quite well. (I only knew, because my Vet told me.)(My friend's cat had a murmur, too, but only panted when his nails were trimmed.)

Regardless, though, ...I'm not so sure what an X-ray would show...as compared to a 'heart ultrasound'....but I don't even know if that is suggested ...when a cat is so young.
That is why I would ask about the 'pro BNP test' ...first.

I think that Vets do rule out the most serious things first...then take it step by step.
My big concern recently is he had a huge coughing spasm with his tongue hanging out , almost thought he was choking but he wasn’t.
Perhaps he did drink the water too fast, and it went into his airway, as mrs.greenjeens mentioned.
Kittens do act like everything has to be in a rush...or they'll miss out on something.

I really hope your guy grows out of it...and that whatever he has his body just fights it off.
Could you tell us his name?
And does he cough after playing and running around? or panting?

Paigeepatrin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I totally understand the worry,... and going back and forth trying to reason out what could be wrong.
Whenever any of our animals are sick, or acting not quite right, then it's so natural to worry and .. for me, yeah...I also tend to jump to the 'worst case scenario'...but then I have to try to remember....that maybe "no, it might not be the worst" ...and it could be "treatable" and controllable.

(One of my previous cats did have HCM (hypertrophic cardio myopathy) and CKD (chronic kidney disease)...but he was diagnosed when he was 13 yrs old.
At 13 yrs...is when a new Vet heard a heart murmur...and suggested a blood test called a "pro-BNP" ...to look for 'loose heart proteins circulating in the blood'...or something like that. His murmur was at a 2 or 3 at that time. The 'pro-BNP' test was added to his usual senior blood panel test.)

She said that over time the "pro-BNP" numbers would change...and indicate a worsening of his heart condition.
(Interestingly his numbers only slowly changed, but I took him to see a cat cardiologist....who did do a heart ultrasound. Up here in canada...it is kind of expensive at around $740 CAD, that was in 2015....five years ago,...but it did give me peace of mind, and I just had to know how bad it was.
Thankfully, it showed that his heart muscle was not severe enough to go on meds at that time...so we just took it year by year.
He did pass away at age 15.5 yrs...but not from the heart...but more of the CKD...or rather a combination of CKD and HCM...since the kidney disease needs more water added to his system...while the HCM....needs less.)

Sorry for the long story...my whole point...was maybe you could ask your Vet...if they think a "pro-BNP" test ...would be helpful?

With your guy, what is confusing is that you mentioned that he coughs 'after drinking'...because I would think that ...if his heart were bad...that he would also be "panting and sticking out his tongue" ...after exercise, playing, or running around ...like kittens normally do.
Except that kittens and cats do mask the medical issues they have quite well. (I only knew, because my Vet told me.)(My friend's cat had a murmur, too, but only panted when his nails were trimmed.)

Regardless, though, ...I'm not so sure what an X-ray would show...as compared to a 'heart ultrasound'....but I don't even know if that is suggested ...when a cat is so young.
That is why I would ask about the 'pro BNP test' ...first.

I think that Vets do rule out the most serious things first...then take it step by step.

Perhaps he did drink the water too fast, and it went into his airway, as mrs.greenjeens mentioned.
Kittens do act like everything has to be in a rush...or they'll miss out on something.

I really hope your guy grows out of it...and that whatever he has his body just fights it off.
Could you tell us his name?
And does he cough after playing and running around? or panting?
His name is Winston! Here’s a picture of him! Monday we schedule our big appointment and I’ll post on here the answers we find. I’ve had him looked at 4 times already and hoping an ultrasound at the university gives us some answers.
He does not pant. He will cough maybe once or twice every so often but not a lot. Only after drinking water. After drinking the water, sounds randomly congested and eventually goes away. Sometimes breathes very fast also.

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
His name is Winston! Here’s a picture of him! Monday we schedule our big appointment and I’ll post on here the answers we find. I’ve had him looked at 4 times already and hoping an ultrasound at the university gives us some answers.
He does not pant. He will cough maybe once or twice every so often but not a lot. Only after drinking water. After drinking the water, sounds randomly congested and eventually goes away. Sometimes breathes very fast also.
Goodness, ...he is gorgeous! So fluffy and handsome. :blush: :lovecat2:
I didn't expect him to look so big...but maybe it's the angle you took the photo from.
Then again, you did say he was six months, so they do grow so fast. :caticon:

Remember to take videos of Winston drinking his water. :bluepaw:

(He will probably stop and look at you weird...like, "why are you always videotaping me?"....and "please do not interrupt me enjoying my water"...but it will help you to show the university vets,...exactly how he drinks.)

Try to also alternate the temperature of the water, for example room temp, cold, warmer, etc.

Because he is still growing...maybe this is a thing he will outgrow,...as one of the other members mentioned,...but since it's been happening a lot, and you are worried about his heart murmur...then it is excellent that you are taking him to the university vets.
All the luck, healing vibes and special prayers being sent to your Winston and you. :goodluck: :goldstar:🙏 :vibes::vibes::caticon:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy coughs after drinking water or bathing himself or one of my other cats. When I first adopted him, it really worried me, so I took him to the vet and they couldn't find anything wrong with him. I've had him 3 years and he hasn't been sick at all in the years I've had him. I just take it as a weird thing he happens to do. It's good to get your cat tested though just in case.

MrT93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey! My cat does the same exact thing. He's a sphynx and sounds exactly like you say congested and coughs after drinking most times. He also drink ALOT at one time. Were you able to find anything out about the issue? I took him to the vet about it and they x-ray'd him but didn't find anything that looked abnormal. He still does it.