couch recommendations?

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pamela

REALLY?? I was hoping that the cushions being attached to the back would help..... would it be possible for u to take a pic of ur couch and either post here or pm it to me? so i can see if I could live with it if I get a couch with attached cusions and cats ruined it?
Check out the pic I took of my couch, it has the attached puffy pillows.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i have 2 different kinds. one is like this one from ikea, but a 2-seater - nice in that the covers can be removed & laundered.
My MIL has one similar to that, except it's made locally and the wood is a lot nicer looking. Though they didn't make the cushions covers to be removable, which I think is annoying.
Her's isn't particularly comfortable (but isn't bad either). However it's made to last. The frame will last for years and the cushions could easily be replaced.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a high end leather couch and it is 10 or 11 years old still looks great only "damage" is pin pricks from nails on the top of the pillows around the seams

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
another comment about my friend's heavy twill upholstery. i think for kitty, it feels bad if he tries to claw it. something about it and kitty's claws just don't jive.
but he does like to lay on it.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never get a couch again with attached pillows. You can't rotate them to avoid getting that smooched look. I have had to unzip mine, (there is a zipper on the bottom that I didn't know was there) and stuff new bed pillows in to bulk them up. Now they look good again.

Micro fiber cloth is what I use to pick up fur from my kitchen floor. So I don't think a couch made from this would be very good for a cat owner. It attracks fur.

Also with couch pillows that are detatched, you can send out to be cleaned depending on the type of material. I just throw mine in the wash, but the back pillows are attached so they are impossible to clean.

Next time I will be a smarter buyer!

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

but the back pillows are attached so they are impossible to clean.

Next time I will be a smarter buyer!
maybe this type of machine would help with that? i dont own one, i'm just using my imagination.

you're right about microfiber. i have a microfiber settee and it has to be cleaned often. thank God it's only a settee and not a 3-seater or something larger-scale

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to add in that I too have attached couch cushions that sag from my kitty sleeping on them. I try to fluff it back out, but it still looks saggy. But I love my kitty so I live with it and replace the furniture when it gets too yucky.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wait - there are people out there who actually sit on their couches?!?!
Mine are perpetually covered in sheets/blankets - they only get uncovered for company.
(I figure the cats will just shed, scratch, & puke on the couch if uncovered)