Couch problem

shelbyc47

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

My 5 month old kitten has discovered that he can fit under my couch (which is one of the reclining sofas). I am afraid that because of all the mechanisms in there he will get hurt. What do you suggest I could do to prevent him from going under there? (I have already tried aluminum foil and double sided tape at the bottom)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shelbyc47

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried putting a blanket around the bottom but the little stinker somehow pulled it out! However, I think I have solved the problem. I purchased a few jumbo pool noodles and cut them to size, and then wedged them all around the couch. He is sleeping upstairs now, so we'll see how well it works once he ventures down here. Thanks for the blanket tip!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I tried putting a blanket around the bottom but the little stinker somehow pulled it out! However, I think I have solved the problem. I purchased a few jumbo pool noodles and cut them to size, and then wedged them all around the couch. He is sleeping upstairs now, so we'll see how well it works once he ventures down here. Thanks for the blanket tip!
That was a good idea! I was going to suggest folding blankets and stuffing them under the couch to block access.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes - block access.  Good ideas.  

But also give a carrot...create a BETTER place to go hide out.  A box and blanket hidey 'tent' for example, placed next to or on top of the couch...then act happy and excited that this is a spot just for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shelbyc47

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: the pool noodles worked like a charm! I also placed his crate (which he LOVES) in the corner of the room, and a hide box filled with special toys and a blanket next to the couch. He is still a little bit hesitant about being downstairs (he spends most of his time in a spare room upstairs, even though he has access to other rooms), but is coming down more often and is slowly getting more acclimated to being downstairs!